Monday, October 30, 2017

Summer 2016 TV shows

Jul. 18, 2017 Summer 2016 TV shows:

Wayward Pines: I watched this show when it first came out in summer 2015:

A Secret Service agent goes to Wayward Pines, Idaho, in search of two federal agents who have gone missing in the bucolic town. He soon learns that he may never get out of Wayward Pines alive.

The pilot was interesting.  You will want to watch it to get your answers.  Here's my review:

http://badcb.blogspot.ca/2015/06/wayward-pines-pilot-review.html

Then I watched the 2nd season.

It's still unsure if there is a season 3.

https://www.opptrends.com/wayward-pines-season-3-release-date-latest-news/

However is my review of season 2 premiere:  It was quite a turn. 

Pros:

1. The characters: 

They have a new lead character Dr. Theo Yedlin (Jason Patric) and a bunch of new characters too.

They also have the new leader Jason Higgins (Tom Stevens) who runs the town now.  He's good looking in the handsome way.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3335453/?ref_=tt_cl_t5

2. There are psychological effects on the characters when they are living in this small town.

3. There is good ethnic diversity of the cast.

4. There is lots of conflict, drama, and tension with the survival of this town.  The characters can kill each other or what's outside is going to kill them.

5. There are flashbacks of how this town was created.

Cons: 

None.

My opinion: You guys should all watch the pilot.


http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2618986/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Jul. 23, 2017 Criminal Minds: Beyond Borders: Criminal Minds came out in 2005.

Does anyone remember in Feb. 2011 when there was a back- door pilot as a Criminal Minds ep and it introduced the TV show Criminal Minds: Suspect Behavior?

On the streets of San Francisco a team of the Federal Bureau of Investigation's Behavioral Analysis Unit use profiling to catch some of the most horrific serial killers and unidentifiable subjects.

It had big names like Forest Whitaker and Janeane Garofalo.  I saw the pilot and a couple of episodes.  It was good and all, but I didn't watch it more than 3 episodes.  It got cancelled after 1 season.

It seems to have a high chance of success with:

1. A spin-off from a successful show.
2. A mid-season premiere.
3. Big name actors.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1703874/?ref_=nv_sr_3

In Mar. 2016, they did it again with a back-door pilot.

An international unit of the FBI charged with coming to the aid of, and solving crimes involving, American citizens in foreign countries. A spin-off from Criminal Minds.

Here's my review of the pilot:

Pros:

1. It has big names like Gary Sinise (CSI: NY) and Alana De La Garza (from Do No Harm and Forever TV shows).

Tyler James Williams (Chris from Everybody Hates Chris.)

2. The first ep was set in Thailand and beautiful shots of water and mountains.

3. Interesting story of young women who are volunteering at a farm in Thailand and are kidnapped.

4. Thai proverb: "What's done in the dark, soon comes to light."

Clara: Life is too long to be alone.

I'm going to put that in my inspirational quotes.

5. Spoiler alert: It turns out the killer was hunting animals to sacrifice for his family.  He starts to kill humans to give to his family.

Clara: Your family doesn't need your sacrifices.  They want you to stop killing.

Cons: None.  I then went on imdb.com and there are so many comments of people criticizing how bad the show is.

My opinion: I watched the pilot and then I never watched it again.  It got 2 seasons.


http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4364202/


http://deadline.com/2017/05/criminal-minds-beyond-borders-canceled-cbs-a2-seasons-1202093513/

Oct. 19, 2017 Containment: This show came out in Apr. 2016.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4421578/

Pros: 

1. Chris Wood- he played the bad guy Kai on The Vampire Diaries.  I watched Containment for him.  If he wasn't in Containment, I would still watch it, but I wouldn't like it as much.

2. It was a strong beginning.  It was Day 13 and there are soldiers coming out.  There is chaos and mob running around.

3. It was a good story idea of who was infected and how to prevent the infection from spreading.

4. Good dialogue:

Jake: You two have a thing we all want.
Jana: I know.
Jake: Then do a better job of showing it.

5. Good drama, conflict and tension.  A Syrian kid had the virus so it could be bio terrorism.  It's dangerous.  There is the hospital drama with the doctors trying to solve it.

There is the police drama with the police trying to keep the city calm and safe.

There isn't a lot of cops in the quarantine and hard to remain order.

6. I really like the Jake and Katie romance.

7. The characters are all likeable.

Cons: None.

My opinion: I would recommend you all watch the pilot and then you can decide if you want to watch more.

The Family: This show came out in Mar. 2016.

A community is rattled when a politician's son, who was presumed murdered years ago, returns home.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4428038/?ref_=fn_al_tt_2

Pros:

1. The story idea is very strong and interesting.

2. There is a good mystery of who kidnapped Adam and why.  Also how to find the kidnapper.

The whole mystery of is that really Adam?  In the pilot they said they did a DNA test and it confirms it.

Danny the brother doesn't think he is.

Then they show Adam watching an old video of himself on his birthday. 

3. There is good drama, conflict and tension in the writing.  The family having to adjust to Adam.  There is tension between the family and the neighbor Hank who they thought was the murderer. 

4. There is good acting in the whole cast.  Liam James who plays the grown Adam is the stand out.

5. Good dialogue.

John has a book called "Learning to live with Loss."

John: Confront your grief and fear of it, and it will take away it's power.

The cop Nina talks to Hank: 

Nina: Just because someone does something bad, doesn't make them a bad person.

The big brother Danny asks Adam:

Danny: Why didn't you run?  How come you didn't run the 1st chance you got?
Adam: I did.  I ran the 1st chance I got.
Danny: When was that?
Adam: Yesterday.
Danny: I'm sorry. 

6. The part where Adam is reunited with his mom was very well- acted and written scene.

7. Hank was in jail for Adam's murder.  He is released from prison and got $30,000 a yr for each year incarcerated.  He got $300,000.


John: I'm sorry what happened to you.
Hank: You happened to me.

8. This is a very unique situation of a kid coming back after being presumed dead.

9. There is a little comedy in it.  Nina finds a cabin and busts in:

Teen boy and girl are smoking pot and saying: I thought it was legal now!

Cons: None.

My opinion: This is a really good show.  You should check out the pilot.  It's dark and intense. 

My week:

Oct. 23, 2017 Coffee place: Today I got a call for an interview at the coffee place.  However, the boss said he needed someone to start work at 6am.  I went on Google Map and there isn't a bus that comes at 5:30am.

I would have to walk 15 min. to a bus stop to catch the bus to downtown.  I told him I can work at like 8am.  I told him he can have my resume on file for other shifts.


"Fund helps non-verbal child 'unlock' what he's thinking": Today I found this article by Liane Faulder in the Edmonton Journal.  I can't find it on the internet.  It's about the Children's Ability Fund to give iPads to kids with disabilities.  The iPad helps them to communicate.


I have never heard of this charity before:

https://www.childrensabilityfund.ca/

Jason Aldean donates song funds:

NEW YORK — Jason Aldean's moving rendition of "I Won't Back Down" on "Saturday Night Live" will soon be raising money to help victims of the Las Vegas shooting.

The song was made available on Friday on various sites. Aldean's representative says all proceeds will be donated to the Direct Impact Fund dedicated to victims of the tragedy.

Aldean was performing at the Route 91 Harvest Festival on Oct. 2 when a gunman fired on the crowd a hotel room, killing 58 people. Hundreds more were injured.

The country star made his first public performance on "SNL" five days later and sang the Tom Petty song. It was in part a tribute to the late rocker, who died that week, but also a show of resiliency in the face of tragedy.

http://www.timescolonist.com/jason-aldean-releases-i-won-t-back-down-for-charity-1.23070492


Aug. 12, 2017 Rapper gives puppy to girl: I found this in the Edmonton Journal today:

ATLANTA, Georgia --
Atlanta rapper Big Boi has given a puppy to a little girl who was paralyzed from the waist down after being shot while playing in a bounce house near the city earlier this year.

WSB-TV reports Big Boi, who's one-half of the rap duo OutKast, presented Abriya Ellison on Thursday with the pup bred from his kennel business.

Video shows Abriya cradling the dog, which she named King.

Big Boi, whose real name is Antwan Patton, tells the station that the dog is "something therapeutic" for Abriya. He says the girl is "definitely inspiring" and her story touched his heart. Patton also has agreed to pay off Abriya's medical bills and renovate her bathroom to make it handicap accessible.

Abriya was 5 when she was shot outside Atlanta in April.


Aug. 15, 2017 George Clooney aids refugee crisis: I found this in the Edmonton Journal:



George and Amal Clooney have committed to help 3,000 Syrian refugee children go to school in Lebanon, Reuters reported on Monday.


The new parents to twins Ella and Alexander aim to come to the aid of 200,000 children who are not receiving an education after fleeing the war in neighboring Syria.


The Clooney Foundation for Justice has teamed up with Google and HP Inc. to help UNICEF and the Lebanese Ministry of Education open seven "second shift" schools, which includes special afternoon classes exclusively for the relocated Syrian children. Lebanon currently has over 1 million Syrian refugees, with around half of them children.










Bruno Mars donates $1 m to flint: I found this in the Edmonton Journal:

Bruno Mars revealed during his Saturday concert in Auburn Hills, Michigan that he had donated $1 million to aid victims of the water crisis in nearby Flint.


Mars and Live Nation, the promoter of the singer's 24K Magic World Tour, announced that revenues from the Detroit-area show had been redirected to the Community Foundation of Greater Flint.


"I'm very thankful to the Michigan audience for joining me in supporting this cause," Mars said in a statement. "Ongoing challenges remain years later for Flint residents, and it's important that we don't forget our brothers and sisters affected by this disaster. As people, especially as Americans, we need to stand together to make sure something like this never happens in any community ever again."


http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/bruno-mars-donates-1-million-to-flint-water-crisis-aid-w497453



Oct. 25, 2017 David Schwimmer good behavior:


Nell Minow, a member of a richly accomplished family, recounts to me her interviewing actor-producer David Schwimmer, best associated with NBC's iconic "Friends," at the Phoenix Hotel in Washington, D.C. in 2011. Minow is a prominent corporate governance expert who for years has also authored "Movie Mom,"  a terrific look at movie, culture and values for parents. Wondering about whether you should take your kid to a certain flick? Check out "Movie Mom."


She was set to interview him about a movie he'd directed, "Trust," the tale of a young girl preyed upon by an online abuser (a real-life story that involved someone Schwimmer knew). They were scheduled to chat in the first-floor restaurant but that proved crowded and noisy. They tried to start but it wasn't working. It prompted Schwimmer to hesitantly broach the notion of going up to his room.

Heck, Minow was twice his age, so she didn't feel the slightest anxiety. But Schwimmer quickly added that if she wanted, he could make sure there was a third person in the room. Perhaps somewhere in the mix, she thinks, the very subject matter of his film prompted anxiety about what she, or others, might think if they went alone, which they did.


"I haven’t thought of that since it happened but the Weinstein stories made me not just remember it but remember it in an entirely different context as an indicator of the prevalence of predatory behavior and as an indicator of Schwimmer’s integrity and sensitivity," Minow said. "This wasn’t just about his being a good guy who would not have tried anything. He understood what it is like to have to be constantly on the alert and he wanted to make sure I understood I was safe." So they did do the interview in his room.

Work on my resumes: Yesterday I did a job interview for a restaurant.  I then notice that the resume needed be changed.  I looked at my other restaurant templates resumes and they had to be edited.

There were server and hostesses resumes that didn't have Pro Serve on it.

Oct. 26, 2017:

Mon. Oct. 23, 2017 Call centre job interview:

Pros:

1. It was easy to get to.  2 buses that come by frequently.

2. The hours were good.  Mon.- Fri.  1pm-9pm.

3. The pay was good.

4. I can do the job where I call people to set up appointments.  If the sales person makes a sale there, then I would get a $25 bonus for making the appointment.

Cons:

1. The shift ends at 9pm.

My opinion: I would definitely work there.  I showed my interest in the job.  I told the interviewer that I can start 2 days from now.  I told him of my previous call centre experience.  I called him to ask if I got hired (he said I can call the next day) and he said I didn't get hired.

Interviewer: You can do the job, but you need more practice.

I was disappointed.  I have to write about it so I can get over it and move on.  Also I hope the people who get hired will quit soon after and then I can get hired.

Tues. Oct. 24, 2017 Server job interview: The place hasn't opened yet.  Interestingly enough, I was passing my resume to another restaurant by there, and the woman there says a restaurant will be opening across from them soon.

Pros:

1. It was in downtown.

2. The food is for a sports bar.

Cons:

1. It was evenings and weekends.

My opinion: I'm probably not going to get hired and I won't work there because it's evenings and weekends.

Oct. 30, 2017 The highlight of the week: I did 3 job interviews in 3 days.

If I had to say something fun I did:

I watched the Blindspot season 3 premiere.  That was exciting.


No comments: