Monday, September 18, 2017

job experts/ "Negotiating and evaluating job offers"

Jun. 2, 2017 Job experts:

Teen magazines: I have read a little bit of job advice from them.  It's for teen girls who are mainly applying for entry jobs in retail and restaurants.

Women magazines: I have read Marie Claire and Cosmopolitan that do have a page for job advice.

Newspapers: I usually get all my job advice from reading the business section of the newspaper.  I became very job- oriented when I was laid off from the Soup place in 2010, the Year of Unemployment. 

I was reading the business section of the Edmonton Journal, the Globe and Mail and the National Post everyday.  My family subscribed to all 3 newspapers.  In April 2013, my dad cancelled the National Post subscription.  I also read the 24 News up to Aug. 2013 until they closed down.

Then I replaced 24 with the Metro.  Then in May 2015, I stopped reading the Metro.  I will only read the Globe and Mail and the Edmonton Journal.  The job advice is good from these newspapers.

It is from CEOs, managers, entrepreneurs, business writers and journalists, statistics, studies, colleges and universities.

Most of the knowledge is helpful and I can apply it.

Job newsletters: When I was writing the above, it made me think about some job newsletters I get in my email like:

Job Boom
Monster
Alberta Job Centre

I also remember Talent Egg articles printed in the Metro.

This is making me go into my old emails.  I see that the newsletters I got from Job Boom in 2013 and 2014.  I clicked on the links so I can read the whole story, and the link doesn't work.  When I want to read old stories from the Globe and Mail and other newspapers, I can access it and read it.

Jun. 6, 2017 "Make me an offer!  Tips on negotiating and evaluating job offers": I found this from CAPS- the University of Alberta Career Centre.  I went there for this seminar in 2011.  I was the only one there.  I never went to that school as a student.  I got this power point presentation and hand out here that I will type up:

Seminar outline:

Preparing to evaluate or negotiate an offer of employment

Responding to the initial offer

Evaluating the offer

Negotiate?  No?  Yes?

Negotiating tips

Accepting or refusing the offer

Determining the dollar value of your work:

Research the prevailing rate of pay for your type of work

Salaries will differ depending on:

-Experience
-size of organization
-geographical location
-labor market conditions

Jun. 8, 2017:

Sources of information:

-Professional associations
-Your professional network
-Collective agreements
-Salary surveys: career centres, Internet
-Your past experience
-Ads for similar positions

www.wowjobs.ca/salary.aspx

www.alis.alberta.ca/wageinfo

www.salaryexpert.com -USA

What's your bottom line?

Reflecting your budgetary needs and average salaries, your negotiation range starts a little higher that your bottom line and extends to a figure (within reason) that would make you very happy! 

Initial Response to an Offer of Employment:

Congratulations!  You have an offer!

Here's how to respond:

-Express enthusiasm
-Ask for time to consider
-Emphasize the importance of the decision
-Clarify the offer

How to Evaluate the Offer:

Ask yourself:

-Is this position and organization right for me at this point in my career?

Consider:

-the job itself
-career implications
-salary, perks, benefits

Questions about the job:

Will I enjoy my daily tasks?
Are working conditions pleasant?
Am I likely to get along with my supervisor?  Colleagues?
Will I need to make major lifestyle changes if I take this job?
Am I comfortable with the level of responsibility?

Consider Career Implications:

Will this job enable me to move forward with my career goals?
How interested am I in the organizations' business?
Does the organization have a good reputation?
What are the career prospects in the sector likely to be in 5 yrs?

Consider: Salary, benefits, perks

Is the compensation package competitive?
What % of the benefits package will I need to pay for?
How generous are the perks- stock options, signing bonus, education allowances, etc.

Should I negotiate?

Consider:

Your temperament
The importance of the issues
Your alternatives
Your assessment of the organization's norms and alternatives

Something to think about?

We spend years in school.  We spend a large sum of money getting that education.  We spend hours writing resumes and cover letters and interviewing.  But when we get to the last detail-money, perks, and benefits- we usually negotiate this in less than 5 min. -Suzanne Green, management speaker

Why so reluctant to negotiate?

Applicants are:

Uncomfortable putting a dollar value on skills
Afraid that negotiating will jeopardize job offer
Ill-prepared to negotiate

Postponing salary talks:

What salary range do you have in mind?
I would consider any reasonable offer
I didn't realize we were ready to discuss salary so soon.  I'd feel more comfortable after we're both sure we have a fit.

Negotiation tips:

Begin negotiating by "bracketing" -give a salary range
Be prepared to justify "the high end"
Offer too low? -ask for more- with discretion

Say: "I'm flexible"

This is a cordial discussion
Some salaries aren't very negotiable
Negotiate on objective grounds
Raise all your issues at the beginning of your negotiations

Ask: "Is that open to negotiation?"

Establish a negotiation style
Express enthusiasm throughout the negotiations
Recognize a firm offer
Ask for a commitment to review salary in 6 months

Accepting a job offer:

Expect to sign a written confirmation which features:

The job title
The starting date
Salary information

Read carefully, the signed document is legally blinding

Inform other potential employers that you are "off the market"

A perplexing situation:

You receive an offer from Organization A while waiting to hear from Organization B, your preferred workplace.

What do you do?

Contact Organization B to inform that that you have an offer but are still interested in their company.  Inquire about your status.

Declining a job offer

Explain why you are declining
Express thanks
Leave the door open for future work opportunities

Jun. 13, 2017 Job information and knowledge: I have been reading the business section of the newspapers since 2010.  It has been 7 yrs of reading about jobs, careers and business.

In 2011- the Year of the Office Job Search
In 2012- the Year of New Directions (looking for an office job and some temp jobs)

It got me to 2013- the Year of the Office Job.  I worked there for 5 months.

I was then dismissed because I wasn't good enough in handling customers.  I then put that job on my resume and it was a boost to it.

In 2014, the Year of Education and Research.  I was looking for an office job, and then I was researching every college program at MacEwan.  I then looked at programs at other colleges like NAIT.

You can see all this on my blog posts.

It then lead me to 2015- the Year of the Office Job and Dating (and Decluttering).  The office job was the home installation place for 3 months.  The dating was my speed dating events I went to.  Decluttering was the side thing where I put up every job article I ever cut out onto my blog.  I then gave all the physical news articles to my co-worker Je.

Job articles: You probably can't tell, but I have mainly posted most of those old job articles on my blog.  Old as in from 2007-2015.

Book reviews: These are the other articles I post.  The creative ones.

I have 500 something emails/ blog posts saved into my drafts account.

I can not send/ post all of them at once.  I can only send/ post 3 emails/ blog posts a week.

So some emails/ posts may seem dated.

Jun. 28, 2017 Job search complaints: I may have wrote about this before.  It was back in 2006 when I got laid off at Call Centre #1 and then worked at the Office Supply store.  I then got an interview to work at Chapters at West Ed.

I did the interview there.  Chapters is a good fit for me because I really like to read and write.  However, I did not get hired.

That is okay.  I then got hired at Call Centre #2 which was a really good fit for me.  If I had gotten hired at Chapters and then got to work at Call Centre #2, I would quit Chapters to work at Call Centre #2.




No comments: