Sunday, June 29, 2014

MacEwan University arts programs review



Jun. 18 MacEwan University: I’m looking into college programs.  I’m going to first research programs I’m somewhat interested in.  Then I will widen my focus.  The thing is, don’t dismiss something right off the bat until you get more info.

Arts and Cultural Management: I took a few classes in this program at MacEwan back in 2005.

"MacEwan University’s Arts and Cultural Management program is unique in Canada. Students in this program have one thing in common: a love and passion for the arts!

If you’re creative and organized, then a career in arts management or cultural administration might be right for you. You could launch an exciting new career in arts marketing, fundraising, publicity, music management, event planning and much more.

The Arts and Cultural Management Diploma program comprises two years of full time study and practice. We still offer the flexibility of a certificate exit after one year, but to maximize your knowledge in arts management we encourage you to complete the Diploma program."

Learn

 

Learn with others who share your passion, drive and creativity. Study online or on campus in west Edmonton, Alberta to learn administrative and management skills in:
  • Audience and resource development
  • Publicity and media relations
  • Special events and project management

Practice

 

Interactive classes

 

Our instructors use a dynamic, interactive teaching style that includes discussions, group projects and seminars that help you learn by doing.

Field placement

 

During a two-month field placement, you’ll further develop your skills and make valuable industry connections in areas including:
  • Music and dance
  • Theatre and film
  • Visual arts
The arts and culture sector offers a wide range of career opportunities from entry-level box office or administrative positions to senior management positions. Our graduates are working in a variety of roles such as:
  • fundraisers for arts organizations
  • managers of professional theatres
  • volunteer or marketing coordinators for arts and cultural festivals
  • public programming managers in museums and art galleries
  • special event coordinators

My opinion: It used to be a 1 yr program, but now they have it a 1 yr certificate or a 2 yr diploma.  I took a few classes, and I wasn’t really interested or excited about it.  I passed the classes.  I didn’t really want to take more classes so I can manage an art gallery or movie theatre.

Design Studies: I actually looked into this when I was applying for colleges.  Here’s what it says on the site:

“The Design Studies program at MacEwan University offers a curriculum featuring a three-year design diploma that will introduce you to new ways of seeing and thinking about design - and the world in which you live. Design is everywhere. Publications, documentaries, illustrations, photographs, and physical or virtual spaces impact and influence our daily decisions. The words, how they look, the images and sounds they are used with, and the medium give visual communication designers both the opportunity and the ability to have their messages stand out.

Get prepared for a career in the exciting, ever-changing and multi-disciplinary field of visual communication design.”

https://www.macewan.ca/wcm/SchoolsFaculties/FFAC/Programs/DesignStudies/index.htm

My opinion: I was browsing through it, and I see that there are computer programs with designing.  The careers that come out of it are graphic designer, illustrator, photographer, etc.  I already took graphic design at NAIT and I didn’t graduate.  

I like art as in looking at it.  I go to the Stanley A. Milner library and they have art put up there with a different artist each month.  I don’t really have a talent for art.  I make collages, but it’s not really a skill in cutting up pictures from magazines and putting it together on a big piece of paper.

Fine Art: Now you have to be really good at art to get in here.  You have to send in a portfolio and your statement of intent of why you want to get into this program.  I’m not that interested or good at art to apply here.

https://www.macewan.ca/wcm/SchoolsFaculties/FFAC/Programs/FineArt/index.htm

Theatre arts: This program teaches you how to act, sing, and dance.  I like dancing, but I’m not that interested in theatre.

https://www.macewan.ca/wcm/SchoolsFaculties/FFAC/Programs/TheatreArts/index.htm

Theatre production: I looked into this program recently.  I already wrote about it in another weekly email.  This program is more technical with lights, sound effects, props, construction, etc.

https://www.macewan.ca/wcm/SchoolsFaculties/FFAC/Programs/TheatreProduction/index.htm

Bachelor of Arts: I looked into it and you can major in things like: “anthropology, economics, English, history, philosophy, political science, psychology and sociology.”

When I click on the careers section, it says the skills you will learn are: “critical thinking, team work, organization, creativity.”


Bachelor of Music in Jazz and Contemporary Popular Music: I don’t play musical instruments.


Accounting & Strategic Measurement: "

In addition to courses in financial and management accounting, tax information technology, and business law, the Accounting & Strategic Measurement diploma gives you a solid background in communication and team building. With this skill set, you’ll be ready to take on the challenges of the rapidly changing world of business."


My opinion: I’m not good at and I don’t like math.  This doesn’t sound very interesting.

Acupuncture: I have no interest in this.

5 comments:

Roy said...

I think it is the colossal method to manage change over everything into the digitized and Singapore is scanning for the immense future. Singapore is the immense country and people get http://www.sopformat.com/statement-of-purpose-format-for-ms/ a kick out of the opportunity to come to this country.

Belkis Scruggs said...

One can never say no to biryani especially when it is really delicious as this one looks. Thank you for sharing the recipe,visit the website never tried it in olive oil, will definitely going to try it out

Joel said...

Macewan University arts programs are really awesome and young ones would like to read this article as there is very interesting stuff in it for them.Keep sharing.

useful link said...

WOW! i just wonder to see this review and the best thing is that it's so easy to read and understand. SO people love this so much and I also. Thanks for that.

explore the details said...

Very nice to read this post and readin is so enjoyable. so that I'm so happy and enjoy this verymuch. thanks for this kind of post. keep this.