Sunday, April 20, 2014

business news/ job articles

Apr. 7 Business news: I read in the Edmonton Journal that Safeway is ending their Safeway Club card.  I was surprised.  Some people weren’t surprised because Sobeys is taking over.  Sobeys has a card too.  Safeway ended their card because lots of people carry a lot of cards in their wallets. 

It says here you can still get savings.  Now all shoppers can receive sale prices.  They had this club card since 1998.  I got one in 2010.  I hardly ever go grocery shopping, and when I buy something from Safeway, I put it on my mom’s card by giving my phone number.

One time I did buy something and brought my card, but they said that this item wasn’t on sale so it wasn’t necessary.  I’ll cut up this card, like I cut up my Rogers Video card.

Apr. 9 Job articles: Here’s something I haven’t done in awhile: read and write about job articles.  This is something from Job Seeker newsletter:

Phone interview help: The unexpected phone screen: 

Have a copy of your resume close at hand.

Know which companies you’ve applied to.

Have the job description easily accessible.

The scheduled phone interview: 

Dress up.

Control your environment.

Have your resume, job description and company information ready.

Be aware of your voice.

Know what your weaknesses are.

My opinion: I’ve done those interviews before.  That reminds me of the time I did a phone interview at a bank, and I was very prepared for it.  I had my resume, a cup of water, and anticipated the phone call.

Application problem: “The #1 Problem with your Job Application.”  It’s “You aren’t tailoring your application to match the job.”  One of the tips is this:

“Instead of a general work experience, use more specific examples that fit with the job description. For example, instead of “supervised several projects” write that you “supervised [research] and [data gathering] projects which were used by the company to [improve our services].” This will show success and achievement in a specific area.”

My opinion: I apply to receptionist positions and they could be for salon, dental, or medical so on the job objective I insert what place it is before the word “receptionist.”

Follow-ups: “Job application follow-ups: What NOT to do.”

1.      If the job description specifically states ‘do not contact us regarding your application’… don’t contact them.

2.      Do not say you “are the best candidate for the job”.

3.      Give it time.

4.      Do not mention why you need the job.

Research: “What to Look for When Researching a Company.”  They mentioned looking into social media sites like Twitter and Facebook, and not just the official website.  Go on Linked In and email some of the company’s workers.

LinkedIn is a great source for researching as well – don’t ask to connect to people you don’t know, but use the contacts you have to gain information and ask questions. If a friend of a friend worked at the company in question, simply ask your friend to get some insight or advice. You are simply looking for information, but who knows, you may even get a referral this way.”

My opinion: I have not thought of looking at social media websites.  I always look at the company website and that’s it.

Resume don’ts: “5 (More) Things You Shouldn’t have on your Resume.”
  1. A photo.
  2. Your High School.
  3. Your (ok) GPA.
  4. A header or footer.
  5. Lies!
Here is our first list of 5 things you don’t need on your resume:
  1. An objective line
  2. A list of all your skills
  3. Details on every past role
  4. A list of references
  5. The reason you left your job
My opinion: Onto the first list.  I know not to put a photo, but not about high school.  It says the longer you have been out of high school; don’t put it on your resume.  It says don’t put your GPA on it because grades may not matter, depending on the industry.  I don’t put my GPA on it.

Emailing your resume:

Always include something in the content of the email.

Use your own (appropriate) email address.

Should I have a separate cover letter?

Should I apply online as well? 
Generally, you should either apply online or by email, not both. Apply by the method stated in the job posting first. If you have a contact at the company, you can email them your resume, but say you have also applied by the standard method as well.

My opinion: I know to use a professional email address like my name is in it and not something fun.  My sister works at company and they’re hiring.  She saw a resume that has the work email address of the current job they’re working at.  What if the other company keeps track of your emails and can access your work computer?  They know you’re looking for another job.

That also reminds me of Post Secret where a postcard says: “I spend a lot of time at work looking for another job.”


Apr. 13 Disney: On Mar. 6, 2014, I read in the news that Disney laid off 700 people in the games department.

Staples: I read that Staples will close down 225 stores by the end of 2015.  Staples is selling really well online, just not in the store.

CBC: I read that CBC plans to lay off 657 people in the next two years.

Post Media: This is a newspaper company that saw quarterly losses by 60%.


No comments: