Sunday, March 23, 2014

Annual Travel Infamy Awards/ One Simple Wish



Mar. 3 Annual Travel Infamy Awards: This was “The Hall of Infamy Awards” by John Lee in the Globe and Mail on Dec. 28, 2013.  Here are a few of my favorite ones:

The Girls Aren’t Everything Award

… goes to 19-year-old Joe Stuttle, a British backpacker who left his bike, passport and personal belongings at a notorious Tasmanian suicide spot – then headed off to party with some young women he’d just met. When he returned the next morning, everything was gone but – handily – a large contingent of police officers was nearby. Reporting his missing possessions, the teen discovered the authorities were just about to begin a large-scale ground search for him. Stuttle’s parents later told the Daily Mirror: “Anyone who knows Joe will not be in the least bit surprised by this story – we certainly weren’t.”

The You Think You’re So Clever Award

… goes to U.S. TV producer Elan Gale, who kept the Twittersphere engrossed with a live blow-by-blow account of his battle with Diane, a fellow passenger on his Thanksgiving flight who was rude to attendants and everyone around her. Their spat swiftly escalated – he sent a note telling her to eat a part of his anatomy and she later slapped him – while thousands giddily retweeted everything as it unfolded. Several days later, Gale – who accrued 150,000 Twitter followers during the argument – admitted he had made the whole thing up. In a rare show of social media unity, the entire Internet curled its lip and called him a jerk.

My opinion: Oh look, another person make something fake and put it up on the internet.  That’s common.

The Traveller’s Revenge Award

… goes to Steph Strayer, a passenger travelling on a train from Philadelphia who endured two hours of noisy cellphone chatter from a group of men bragging loudly about fooling their “stupid wives” over their multiple affairs. Bored with the blowhards, Strayer snapped a photo of one of them and posted it on Facebook along with a caption that started, “If this is your husband … ” and went on to describe his swaggering boasts. She asked followers to repost, and the image was eventually viewed by 183,000 people. No word on whether one of them was the wife in question, waiting for the lothario at the next stop.

My opinion: That’s good to stop those men from cheating.  I have watched a lot of Maury and the TV show Cheaters.


Mar. 6 Cute baby sign: I was on Yahoo news and I found this.  It has gone viral. 

'Hey, I just met you, this is crazy ... my name's Harper, and I'm your baby!'


Tape: I have finished using up a roll of white electrical tape.  I found this roll at the bus stop in my neighborhood way back in 2006.  I use it to tape up pictures and my collages on my walls. 

This shows how much I have used.  It also shows how the years go by.

Pixel of cat: This was quite a few months ago, but I had found this randomly on Youtube.  I don’t watch cat videos, I watch music videos.  I mainly listen to music.  I went to it and now it’s not on Youtube anymore.  This one doesn’t work:


Here’s one that works.  I like the screen cap.  It’s cute.


Mar. 7 One Simple Wish: I was checking what’s on TV and I saw a bit of Katie Couric’s talk show.  It talked to the charity creator Danielle Gletow who made One Simple Wish.  I went to their website:

“Wishes aren’t stuff. Wishes make happy memories. Wishes can change a childhood. For foster kids and at-risk youth across the US, these wishes represent hope. Below you can browse through hundreds of their wishes, starting at just $10, and find one that speaks to your heart and your budget.”

It talked to this young black man who was a foster kid.  His mom died of cancer when he was 12 and he was in and out of foster homes.  He got a bus pass which he describes was “like gold” to him.  He can then go see his friends, look for a job, and when it’s too cold out, he can take the bus to school.  He is now an intern at a radio station.

On the show, a organization donated $5000 worth of school supplies to Wish.  That’s great.


Libation: I was reading the newspaper and read this word.  I looked it up on dictionary.com:

1. a pouring out of wine or other liquid in honor of a deity.
2. the liquid poured out.
 
Marriage article: This was a long time ago, but I think it was my cousin who put this article on her Facebook and I’m putting it here now.  Here is an article about “The Girls You Should be Marrying.”

They are:

The 30-yr old girl with a graduate degree, the best of both worlds, the girl who’s got her own.

It’s a good and fun article to read.


Crowdfunding to get IVF: I was reading in the Metro on Feb. 27, 2014 “Crowdfunding the creation of new life.”  Nadine White wanted a baby and tried IVF 3 times.  She then went to GoFundMe and created “Donate to Create Baby White.”  She and her husband were on the site since June and got $2,900.  One batch of IVF is $10-$15000.

Robin Thicke: Did you hear that the singer Robin Thicke is separated?  His wife/ actress Paula Patton has filed for divorce after 9 years of marriage.  Thicke had cancelled a couple of concerts to go see Patton who’s filming a movie.  He’s trying to get her back.

That is so sad.  I really thought this marriage was going to last because he seemed so in love with her, they’ve been together for 9 yrs, and they have a son.  I hope they work things out.

Justin Beiber: I saw a little bit of his video a couple of times when I was checking what’s on Much Music.  Here’s his video “Confident” feat. Chance the Rapper.  JB is standing by his car at a gas station and sees a hot girl walk into the convenience store.  He enters and follows her into the hallway.  They stop the music a bit so he can hit on her as she buys this bag of chips.

He then follows her and his back up dancers are dancing with him on the street as she’s walking.  She then climbs on a motorcycle and drives away.

Cut to the club and he’s dancing a bit.  Between all this, they show him dancing with his dancers on another set.

He approaches the girl from behind and then they kiss.  There is rap by Chance.  They are in this Chinatown street with all these neon lights.   

My opinion: I love this song and video.  The song I can totally dance to and I love the hip hop dancing in the video.  The lights and atmosphere in the video is good.  When JB is talking to the girl and asking her about the chips she’s buying, it really does seem like what he would really say to her.  Check out the video:

No comments: