Thursday, January 30, 2014

Women @ Work/ job resolutions



Jan. 18 Women @ Work: I was reading Leah Eichler’s column “Women @ Work” on Jan. 18, 2014 in the Globe and Mail.  The article was called “When two rights collide, who’s wrong?”  I like her column.  In it, she mentions about a York University student who asked to not be in a group project because his religious beliefs says he can’t interact with women.

The professor tells him he has to interact with the women, and the dean overruled.  Of course, I had to write about this because it’s with my other topic about the girl who’s in a religion that doesn’t allow her to talk to boys.

Job interview: I did a job interview last week.  I applied there a few times before.  I did my research by going to their website and taking down notes.  There is a little traveling like going to Calgary for 1 or 2 days at a time.  

It was interesting, because the interviewer told me that the boss may say things not politically correct and if I can deal with that.  I said yes, because I do watch MADtv.  There is a little computers involved in this office job.  

There is going to be a second interview with the boss, if I get through the first one.

Jan. 20: Today at work was busy.  One busser wasn’t here, so we were a little short-handed.  Also the other busser I was with said she didn’t want to stay and work lunch because she wasn’t feeling well.  I stayed.

Then someone from another department said she can’t come to work tomorrow because she has to be with her grandma.  I don’t have a job interview or a doctor’s appointment, so I will take her shift.

Publishing companies: I’m going to look for positions at publishing companies.  There aren’t a lot in Edmonton:

Venture Publishing: They only hire an account executive and that is selling.

“This position requires a results-oriented and professional sales performer who will service existing accounts, prospect for new clients and develop new business to grow advertising and sponsorship revenues. - See more at:  


http://venturejobs.ca/jobs/account-executive-2/

Jan. 22 Job fair: I went to a job fair today at my old college.  It was really big with lots of companies.  I passed my resume to some places.  A lot of the booths were ones I have seen when I visited the University of Alberta job fairs I attended back in 2011 and 2012.

Friends: I did bump into my friend Maygen and we chatted a bit.

Jan. 23 Resilience: Nancy Parker sent me this article Expert Insights: Talking About Resilience with Lorraine Hirst of Way2be.me.  It’s a good interview with Hirst.  They discuss about how to raise children to be resilient.  However, I can see it can still apply to you in adult life.

It’s informative.


http://www.enannysource.com/blog/index.php/2013/03/06/expert-insights-talking-about-resilience-with-lorraine-hirst-of-way2be-me/

Job resolutions: Martina Keyhall sent me this link on New Year’s Resolutions like losing weight, exercising, getting organized, quit smoking, get out of debt, new job/ work goal.  

I decided to look at the job blogs:

New Year..new job?: This is a good article:

1. Start by determining exactly what you need that your current situation lacks.

2. Make sure your issues can’t be resolved in-house.

3. When you’re ready to move, get off on the right foot.

4. Structure your job search from the beginning. 

http://www.cssar.com/2013/01/11/new-yearnew-job/

Taking charge of your career: This article has helpful tips.

Renewed Focus

Identifying opportunities

Prioritise Networking

Managing your Schedule

http://www.cpl.ie/blog/post/your-career-in-2013/

New Year’s resolutions for job seekers: 

Know What You Want to Do.

Keep Up the Networking.

Create Your Elevator Pitch.

Get Visual.

Establish a Social Media Plan.

Get Smart(er).

Stay—or Get—Physical.

http://www.synerfac.com/2013/01/04/tysons-corner-staffing-recruiting-experts/

Get a new job: 

Only apply to jobs that you feel are right for you

Sign up for job alerts

Stay active and keep positive

Be social

Follow up

Ask for feedback

http://www.recruitingblogs.com/profiles/blogs/my-new-year-s-resolution-get-a-new-job

http://www.becomeananny.org/blog/30-blogs-to-help-you-keep-your-new-year%E2%80%99s-resolution-all-year/

Jan. 28 Business news: I read in the business section of the newspaper on Jan. 16, 2014 about Sears.  After the holiday season, Sears laid off 1,600 people.

The same with Best Buy, after the holiday season it wasn’t very good either.

Job call: One time I got a call from a medical office to set up a job interview.  The interesting thing is that she called me at 10pm on a weekday.  I thought that was kind of late, but I picked it up anyway and went to the interview.

Wages: The AB min. wage is $9.95/hr.  I was reading the Globe and Mail yesterday, and it listed all the min. wages and AB is the lowest.  All the other provinces are at least $10/hr.

Jan. 30: I want to add that I read in the newspaper today that Sears laid off 624 people.

No comments: