Sunday, October 27, 2013

Yale/ offensive African-themed party/ human trafficking



Oct. 7 Yale: I read this in the Metro today: “Culprit dubbed ‘poopetrator’ at a Yale college.”  There has been at least 4 incidents where someone has been ruining students’ laundry by putting their human feces inside clothes dryers.  Here’s more:

"Now people are standing watch in the laundry room, so it's been kind of a campus wide phenomenon at this point," said Yaman. "But hopefully one day they catch the person."


I thought that was weird because this is happening at this good and prestigious college.  The person who is doing this seem really stupid and immature.  I don’t know why.  Maybe the prankster didn’t get accepted into Yale and he’s committing revenge this way.  I don’t know.

Oct. 11 Charity: I was reading in the Metro on Oct. 10, 2013 that NAIT students have deboned 60 turkeys for the weekend meal at the Boyle Street charity.

The University of  Alberta are hoping to raise $2,500 for the Canadian Breast Cancer foundation by playing big pink kin-balls.  

Oct. 21 Breakfast Club: Nivea donates $25,000 to the Breakfast Club of Canada so kids can eat breakfast.  1 in 7 children in Canada lives in poverty. 
Oct. 23 Charity pizza: I put this on my Facebook status update: 

Buy a Smile Pizza at Pizza 73 from Oct. 14-Nov. 10 and a portion of the proceeds will go to the Stollery Children's Hospital Foundation. 

The Tenors: The Metro news is giving a contest so fans can see the musical group the Tenors.  They recorded a song called “I Thank You” for Big Brothers Big Sisters of Canada.  50 cents of each digital download will go to the charity.

Habitat for Humanity: I was reading in the Metro on Oct. 18, 2013 that this charity is not only building homes, but also making it more energy- efficient. 

Don Iveson: I’m sure all of you learned that the new Edmonton mayor is Don Iveson.  I voted for Karen Leibovici because I think a woman should be the mayor.  She seems to have a lot of experience.  Well Iveson is my second choice.  

One of his campaign team did call my house over the weekend to see if I would vote for him.  I told the woman that he was my second choice.  Lol. 

Offensive African-themed party: I found this on Yahoo news.  There were photos of a white Australian woman who threw a 21st African-themed party.  The first photo is a KKK member with 3 black-faced guys.  People saw the photos on Facebook and were offended by it.  Here is the woman’s apology:

“Okay don’t even know how to use tumblr but wanted to clarify this.
It was my ‘African themed’ party and it was honestly made that theme because I have always wanted to go to Africa (to teach english) but haven’t made it there yet. In no way was this party intended to hurt anyones feelings or upset anyone at all. In fact as you can tell from the photos I dressed up as cleopatra, whilst MAJORITY of my guests came as animals, that can be found in africa or wore traditional african clothes or even dressed up as famous people who come from africa. If anything this was to celebrate the amazing country and people. However, some guest did decide to paint themselves, although this was in no way my intention or encouraged in the slightest. I understand that this has offended some people and I have no idea how these photos have even been seen, they were simply put on facebook for my guests to see the photos of themselves. I am 100% sure that parties would be held that would be ‘Australian themed’ or American themed or even countries of the world, and in that instance I don’t believe anyone would be offended. People wear oktoberfest cotumes to parties and no one cracks it that they are not German? So what I am saying is I do understand the people who have painted themselves have offended people, although none of them intended that…. but how can people be annoyed that the majority of the people at the party were celebrating another countries culture.

Also one of my friends who is Mauritian painted himself white, but that photos didn’t make it to this page along with the MAJORITY of people who were amazingly detailed costumes that no one could take offense to!! I am sure that not one person at my party felt upset that said guest painted himself white as it was not meant in that way at all.

Also, I have NEVER been asked to take these photos down, however if I had of course I would have done so, as I had no idea that anyone other than friends and guests could see these photos, and to be honest I am not a racist person at all so I didn’t think anyone could possibly take it that way. I intend to spend 2 months teaching english in cambodia in January, and cant wait to do the same in Africa. If you will still have me.
To reiterate, I was cleopatra and did not encourage my guest to wear anything racist simply to come as something African Inspired, much like if you went to an australia day party (Which I am 100% sure people of all races and cultures do every year!!!)

Again I am sorry for those I have offended and the photos have now been removed now that I have eventually been made aware people were upset. For those who know me at all you would know the last thing in the world I would want to do would be to offend people.”

Yahoo comments:

Sean: Well, ask an American to throw a "Mexican themed" party and see what you get.

LK: Avoid African-themed parties. Avoid talking to strangers. Avoid crossing the street. Avoid throwing an apple core into a forest. Avoid giving life. Avoid writing to the editor. Avoid petting your neighbour's dog. Avoid caring for people. Avoid voting. Avoid reading books. Avoid shaking hands. Avoid leaving. Avoid imagination. Avoid creation. Avoid recreation. Avoid tying your shoes. Avoid leaving your shoes untied. Avoid collecting. Avoid disposing. Avoid speaking your mind. Avoid timidity. Avoid riding the metro. Avoid hugging. Avoid lighting candles. Avoid protest. Avoid concurrence. Avoid dreams. Avoid reality. Avoid Avoid, avoid, avoid.... This society has become too cantankerous for it's own good.


My opinion: I read the apology and it seems sincere.  I think some of the party-goers are really stupid to be dressed like that.  When I write for my blog, and I am about to say something that may be offensive to some people, I always give a forewarning like: “I was watching MADtv and it’s funny and dark.  You may be offended by it, so here it is:”

I always thought I was considerate, but you can’t always predict or control the consequences.  I will mention again like that time I offended my friend by accident when I thought I was telling a light and fun joke.  It wasn’t about race, gender, sexual orientation, politics, or a controversial topic, so that’s why I thought I could say it.  She was offended, so now I am even more cautious.

I do agree with LK’s comment, but I am careful and thoughtful.

Human trafficking: I was reading in Metro on Oct. 18, 2013.  The Chrysalis Anti-human Trafficking Network launched a website called sexwork4u.com.  It says on the poster “Sexwork4u.com is not real, but human trafficking is.”  It’s a good website.  It talks about how to protect your kids. 

There is an indicators part of the site to notice signs in your child.  Your child is either becomes really confident and wears provocative clothes, or also suddenly depressed and fearful.

The signs in your neighborhood if you see someone denied food, water, healthcare.  A house seems to get a lot of traffic, especially at night.


Woman Sting: I read this in Metro on Oct. 18, 2013.  Woman Sting is a self-defence ring for the Save my Sister campaign in Sept.  It was created after the New Delhi gang rape.  “The ring comes with a micro needle, and pump, and a tank filled partly with Capsaicin, a chemical compound that is a component of chili peppers.”  The four men are sentenced to hanging for the rape and murder of a New Delhi woman.

Fetus in bag: I found this in Metro.  It was about 2 teen girls at Victoria’s Secret and they were stopped by a security guard.  There was a fetus in one of the bags and the girl said she was pregnant and gave birth.  She didn’t know what to do with it.  In this article, it says she gave birth at the other girl’s house.  It’s still kind of vague.



No comments: