Wednesday, October 30, 2013

We have not forgotten Omar Khadr

iar_logo_200.png
khadr_image.jpg

I got this from Amnesty International:


An interview with Omar KhadrFrom Guantamamo Bay to maximum security facility in Edmonton
Dear Tracy,

From Afghanistan to Guantánamo Bay and now the outskirts of Edmonton ...

Who would have thought that human rights campaigning that began with a short news report that a 15 year old Canadian had been arrested by US forces on the battlefield in Afghanistan in the summer of 2002 and continued through a decade of activism, media interviews and legal work while that same young Canadian endured the lawlessness and injustices of Guantánamo Bay; would now bring me to a maximum security prison outside Edmonton.

But that is where, after eleven years of working on his case, I recently travelled to meet and spend some time with Omar Khadr.

Please read on for an account of my interview with Omar.

Thank you for speaking out against the human rights violation that was Guantanamo Bay and helping us protect the rights of this former child soldier.

I leave you with a quote from Omar:

"To members of Amnesty International in Canada and everywhere I want to say thank you for the support and all the work that you have done for me. It has been incredible to come to the realization that there are all these wonderful people out there helping me with my ordeal. Knowing that makes it a bit easier. I am so grateful. Perhaps the one positive thing coming out of all I have been through is to know that there are so many good people in the world, like the members of Amnesty International, willing to stand up for other people. That means so much to me."


His message so perfectly sums up the essence of Amnesty: our willingness to stand up for other people.

I was able to assure him that, with the support of people like you, we will most certainly continue to stand up for him.
Sincerely,
alex_neve_mission.jpg 
Alex Neve
Secretary General,
Amnesty International Canada

P.S.  During my visit, I had the pleasure of personally delivering over 2,100 messages from Amnesty supporters welcoming his long-overdue return to Canada. If you would like to send a letters or cards direct to Omar, please use the following address:

Omar Khadr
Edmonton Institution
21611 Meridian Street
PO Box 2290
Edmonton, Alberta  T5J 3H7

No comments: