Sunday, August 25, 2013

job interview/ not taking promotions/ inspirational speech

Aug. 17 Job interview: After work I went on a job interview.  I arrived on time.  I dressed nicely.
I think the interviewer did more of the talking.  I did tell him about myself and previous experience.  He did say there were a lot of replies to the ad, and they picked some who they're willing to meet.

The office was really nice.  Nice desks, arm chairs, paintings, and framed photos.  There is room for growth and promotion.  The pros are the shifts, the pay, and it's close by.

1. Can you do the job?
I think I can.  There is this computer program I haven't heard of before.  It's specific to this kind of work.  Kind of like the Opera program is specific to hotel front desk to book rooms.

2. Will you like it?
I think so.

3. Will you fit in?
I think I do.

Bank: I was trying to access my job profile at a bank website.  It didn't work.  I haven't used it in 6 or 7 months.

Not taking promotions: I was reading in The Globe and Mail about why people don't take promotions.  One reason was that they don't want their peers to be jealous or resent them.  I would say: "Take it anyway.  You worked hard, you deserved it.  You were here for a long time.  If you really want it, take it."  There was this other reason about a guy doesn't want to take the promotion because he doesn't want more money.  If he got more money, then he would have to give more to his ex-wife.  Seriously.

I was thinking how about he is hurting himself by not taking the promotion so he won't give more money to his ex-wife.  It depends on how much more money he's missing out on.  Like he's comfortable getting $50,000 a yr.  The promotion is $55,000 a yr.  It depends on when he retires, but the $5000 over a period of 5 yrs, he missed out on $25,000 extra.  But now I think, he may be giving half to his ex-wife, so he would be missing out on $12, 500.

It also depends on the responsibilities and duties.  For ex. he is a manager of 30 people.  If he gets promoted, he would have to manage 50 people and that is too much for him.

Aug. 18 Circuit City: Does anyone remember Circuit City?  It sold electronics.  According to Wikipedia, it was starting to close down at the end of 2008.


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circuit_City


Aug. 19 Art institute of Vancouver: I think I may have mentioned this before.  There was a time back in 2004, I thought of going there to become a filmmaker.  Well I did really want to become a TV producer, but I got rejected from NAIT's TV program.  The website looks really good.  I wouldn't want to go to a school that's out of my province.  I was like 18 and I felt I wasn't ready to go far away.


http://www.artinstitutes.edu/vancouver/media-arts-602.aspx


Self- assessment: Now that I really think about it, I wouldn't.  This is school, and there is a possibility I would fail.  That's what happened when I stayed in Edmonton and applied to NAIT's Graphic Communications program after I got rejected from the TV program.  I was going to quit mid- year at the end of Jan., and cut my losses and get a job.  But my dad convinced me to stay and learn as much as I can. 


Two situations: It's one of those two situations where there is a pro and con to both.


Quit college mid- year:

Con: You wasted money and time that you already put in.
Pro: You can save time and get a job to make money.

(That situation happened to one of my friends who was in the Legal Assistant program at MacEwan.  She quit mid-year and got a job, but I did understand where she was coming from because I went through it.)


Finish the rest of the year, though not graduate:

Con: You wasted 3 more months where you could have been making money.
Pro: Learn as much as you can.  Also it will look good on your resume that you did a year at college.  And I guess when you run into people from high school, you can honestly say you did a year at college.

Aug. 20: I want to add another one.  There was that time I was recommended to go to all the low

classes in high school.

Go to all the low classes.

Pro: 100% guarantee I will pass.  I will graduate.  Just show up, and you will pass.
Con: I won't learn much.  It will be harder to get into college because I will have to to upgrade more.

Go to some grade level classes.

Pro: I will learn something and not have to upgrade as much.
Con: I may struggle and risk failing, and not graduate on time.

In gr. 10, I took Eng. 13, Social 13, Applied Math 10 and Science 10.  It was the easiest yr in school because I didn't learn anything hard. 


In gr. 11, I took Eng. 23 and 20.  I could then get into Eng. 30 in gr. 12.  I took Social 23 in gr. 11, and then Social 20 in summer school.  I ended up taking Social 33 in gr. 12.  I struggled in math and science and barely passed that.


Follow up: At the job interview, the interviewer did say that he liked me and that I didn't have too much experience which can be kind of a good thing.  It's so that they can teach me how to do things their way.  I remember talking to another company on the phone a couple of years ago, and he said that his worker he hired was experienced and was doing her way and not the way the managers wanted it to be done.


I emailed them back and they picked someone else, but will keep my resume on file.


Aug. 20 Inspirational speech: I found this on Yahoo.  "Engineering student gives epic speech to incoming freshmen at Georgia Tech."  Nicholas Selby, an engineering student at Georgia Tech gives a great welcoming speech to the students and faculty.  He was funny and give tips on how to succeed in college: call your mom, do your laundry, start on your assignments right away when it's assigned.  Here's an excerpt of the article/ speech:


Backed by the "2001: A Space Odyssey" theme music, the mechanical engineering student then launched into a motivational monologue, his voice rising as he spoke.


"Our mission as students is not to follow in the footsteps of the astronauts, Nobel Prize laureates or the presidents that graduated before us but to exceed their footsteps, crush the shoulders of the giants upon whom we stand!" Selby screamed. "If you want to change the world, you're at Georgia Tech, you can do that! If you want to build the 'Iron Man' suit, you're at Georgia Tech, you can do that! If you want to play theme music during your convocation speech like a badass, we're at Georgia Tech, we can do that! I am doing that!"


I decided to listen to the 7 min speech as I delete my emails.  It was very entertaining.


http://ca.news.yahoo.com/ga-tech-freshmen-speech-video-epic-205115482.html?vp=1


Aug. 21 Work: A worker missed a couple of shifts.  She's been here for a yr and this hasn't occurred before.   Another worker has been sick.


Aug. 25: Another busy Sun.  The worker who's been missing shifts for a week or so isn't here.  She was scheduled to come in today, but she didn't show.  Fortunately, my manager got another server to fill in.


That's good.  When you know there is a high chance that a worker is not coming in, you start preparing to get someone to fill in.  Unlike the Soup place.  Back in 2009, I got a job at Call Centre #3 where I'm working from Mon.- Fri.  I gave my bosses a week notice to get them to replace me.  The next Sat. one of them told me how it was so busy on Mon. because I wasn't here, and neither were Co-worker #1 and #2.


No comments: