Thursday, April 25, 2013

Robin Thicke/ Charles Heston/ spring cleaning

Mar. 30 Robin Thicke: I was reading the Edmonton Journal, and I read an article about Robin Thicke releasing a new music video called "Blurred Lines" where he features nude models.  It talks about how RT's wife/ actress Paula Patton said she was okay with it.  There is the 18A version.  Here is the PG-13 version that anyone can watch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyDUC1LUXSU

I first saw the clean version, and then I saw the unrated version.  Let's talk about the clean one.  I thought the video was boring.  It's just RT, and the rapper TI and rapper/ producer Pharell dancing around in a white background.  There are 3 hot women in white skimpy outfits and clear plastic over it.  They're all dancing around with random props like big dice, toy car, a stool, whatever.

I also don't really like the song either.  Maybe it will grow on me after a few more listens, I don't know.

The unrated version was the same models and they were nude.  I didn't like it either.  RT's new album is coming out this summer so I have to check it out.

Music video: I might as well add "Scream and Shout" by Will.i.am ft. Britney Spears.  I thought the song is okay, and I have to avoid listening it too much on the radio or I will get sick of it.  The video was kind of boring too.  It just shows them dancing a bit, replicating images of themselves, random props like a car that has the doors lifted up.

However, I do find this video more interesting than RT's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYtGl1dX5qI

Apr. 1 The Following: This TV show is on CTV,.  It stars Kevin Bacon as FBI agent Ryan Hardy who was the one who managed to shoot and arrest the serial killer Joe Carroll (James Purefoy.)  Years later, Carroll escapes out of prison and Hardy has to find him and arrest him again.

Carroll has a following of fans who will kill themselves and others for him.  I saw the pilot when it came out in Jan. and I thought it was really good and well-written.  It was very dark, scary, disturbing, and violent.  I am very tense when watching the show.  It showed a woman who stabs herself in the eye at the police station and another woman's eyes that were pulled out.

The writing and acting are impressive.  However, it was too dark for me.  Yeah, I watch Criminal Minds, but The Following takes it a step further.  If you can stomach it, then watch it.

On a side note, one my favorite Canadian actors Shawn Ashmore is in it and plays a cop.  You may know him as Ice Man in the X-Men movies.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2071645/?ref_=sr_1

Charlton Heston: I was reading this Betty cartoon on Mar. 21, 2013.  It mentioned Betty's husband asking: "What was the name of that Charlton Heston movie where he discovers the food source is people?"  Betty asks: "Was it Soylent Green?"

I researched Soylent Green and it's a 1973 movie that's set in 2022.  Food is scarce and Charlton Heston's character investigates a murder that leads to the disturbing reason why this person was killed.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070723/?ref_=sr_1

Here is Omega Man (1971):

"Army doctor Robert Neville struggles to create a cure for the plague that wiped out most of the human race."
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067525/

These are some interesting sci-fi movies to check out.

Apr.11 Viewership: I found this article "Viewers gun-shy with new shows" by David Bauder.  People are time- conscious and don't want to waste time on shows that aren't going to stick around.

It was in the Edmonton Journal on Apr.2, 2013.  Zack Estrin, the Zero Hour producer says: "Audiences don't watch because they fear it's going to be taken off, and it's taken off because audiences don't watch."

I am still kind of annoyed that NBC canceled Do No Harm, the modern version of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.  I saw the promos, and I was interested.  I saw the first ep, and I was like: "I'm going to watch this show every week."  Then they canceled it after the 2nd ep.  I was then wary to even tune into Golden Boy, this other mid-season show.

However, I wanted to check out the pilot.  I saw it, and it was good, but I wasn't very interested in it.

Apr. 13 Spring cleaning:

Newspapers: I don't know if any of you guys noticed this, but I've been writing a lot about newspaper articles that I read.  This is my new project: writing about newspaper articles.  I have cut out quite a lot, for my own reference.  However, there are lots of articles I want to write about and then recycle it.

The news I usually write about are like business news for my business/ work email.  There are some current events I write for my news email.  Mostly it's about what's happening in the world, and Yahoo articles.

I did use to write a lot about those articles that are sent through my blog, but they stopped coming last month.  Now I'm doing some spring cleaning, by writing about these news articles.  After I write about it, I recycle it so it's like cleaning.

Digital:
If you can't bring yourself to throwing things out, you can warm yourself up by deleting emails and old files on your computer.  It's not a tangible thing you can really touch, so it may be easier to delete.

Apr. 15 Matthew Gray Gubler: He plays Dr. Reid on the show Criminal Minds.  I emailed him and he emailed me back.  I found this little interview of him back in 2004 in the now closed down magazine Elle Girl.  It has a picture of him a muscle-shirt and a tattoo on his right arm.  It's a contrast to his nerdy, and conservative look on the show.

MGG: "I'm obsessed with Wes (Anderson), and during my senior year at (NYU's art school) Tisch, I got an internship with him.  Then I wouldn't leave, so he put me in his movie (The Life Aquatic.)

MGG (on being labeled a tasty cake in Elle Girl): "I told my mom, and she said something must be wrong with the world.  I think I look like an androgynous Muppet."

MGG (on his ideal girl): "Optimism, wit, creativity and ambition are sexy.  I like a girl who is into violent snowball fights, ghost stories, prank calls, and root beer.  Oh, and I've always wanted a girl to make a heart- shaped peanut-butter-and-jelly sandwich for me.  I think that'd be the cutest thing in the world."

He seems like a really down-to-earth guy.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1693763/

Apr. 19 Glee:

TLC:
I was looking up to listen to the song "No Scrubs" by TLC.  I like that song when it came out back in 1998.  I looked it up on Youtube, and it turns out Glee did a version of this song on their show.  It's guys singing it.  They do sound good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pXH1K74920

Britney Spears: Glee also covered the song "Womanizer" by Britney Spears.  I didn't notice this, until I was reading the comments.  The girl in the yellow jacket towards the end of the video, is Toronto actress Shay Mitchell from the TV show Pretty Little Liars.

I think the performance was good with all these girls singing and dancing around the school.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTt4c6tq4lE

No comments: