Saturday, February 9, 2013

good news/ Katie Beers/ woman finds birth parents

Jan. 14 Good news: I found this video on Yahoo.  This 6 yr old boy was kidnapped by his paternal grandparents 19 yrs ago when they fought for custody.  Now the boy is 24 yrs old and will be reunited with his parents.

It's kind of sad that the parents missed out on seeing their kid grow up, but at least the kid was raised by grandparents instead of a child molester.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/video/kidnapped-indiana-boy-found-19-120550791.html

Jan.16 Katie Beers: I found this on Yahoo.  This 10 yr old girl Katie Beers was kidnapped in 1993.  Her kidnapper was a family acquaintance John Esposito.  She was chained in a coffin box for 2 weeks. 

Prior to it, she was in an abusive home.  Her mom neglected her, and her godmother's husband sexually assaulted her since she was a toddler.  She didn't have any friends and "...often was forced to lug the family's laundry down the block or fetch cigarettes and junk food for her elders."

Later, Esposito admitted to detectives that he kidnapped her.  He didn't touch her.  Beers was later put into a foster home with 4 siblings.

"Her foster parents not only imposed newfound discipline into her life, making her go to school regularly and do small chores around the house, but they also shielded Beers from intense media interest. And reporters largely complied with a parent-like plea from a prosecutor to leave her alone."

The godmother's husband Sal Inghilleri served 12 yrs in prison and died there in 2009.

She was on Dr. Phil, and on People magazine.  She is now a 30 yr old married mother of two, she has a degree in business management and works in insurance sales.

Beers: "The best thing that happened to me," she said. "I would have never gotten out of the abuse situation I was in."
"There's no point really in me right now being sad or wondering what if," she told the AP.
"I try not to be sad about what happened, because ultimately it made me who I am today, and I'm very satisfied and happy with my life," she said.

"I want to be able to help people who might not know where to turn," she explained. "To see that there is a road to recovery."

"I hope that more does come out of the book," Katie Beers said. "I would love to be able to help other kids or adults or to be an inspirational or motivational speaker, something like that. But if I go back to my life in rural Pennsylvania and go back to my insurance sales job I would love that, too.

"I'm very happy with where I'm at."

Jan. 19 Anniversaries: I was reading about how it's the 3 yr anniversary of the Haiti earthquake.  It's a 1 yr anniversary after Costa Concordia ship sunk.

Nelly Furtado: I was reading about how it's been about 6 yrs since she stopped touring and released an English album.  She has now released her album called "Spirit Indestructible."  She also put out those tank tops by the same name, and 100% of the profits of the tops go to a Kenya high school for girls.

In 2009, she did release an Spanish album called "Mi Plan."  She created her own record label and is signing up artists.  She does have a kid and does a lot of charity work.  So it's like she has been doing other stuff too.

Jan. 26 Mark Wahlberg: I was reading this article by Johanna Schneller in the Globe and Mail on Jan. 19, 2013.  Did you know that he has a charity called The Mark Wahlberg Foundation.  It's to help inner city youth and he has spent time working the phones for a joint fundraiser with CIBC.

MW: I always feel like there's a good chance I'm going to end up there.

It turns out he was raised in a 2-bedroom, 1 bathroom apartment with his parents and grandma.  4 of his siblings went to prison, and MW did too for 4 months.  He did a racially motivated assault on a Vietnamese man that left the victim blind in one eye.

MW was scared straight after that.

MW: It keeps me focused and working hard and trying to do the right thing.  I don't want to let my guard down and feel to comfortable.  If you become complacent, you start feeling entitled.  I'm ready to go and dig ditches if I have to.  Whatever I gotta do to provide for my family.  Whatever I gotta do to make sure that I do the best possible job at whatever wonderful opportunities I've been handed.  

MW: I feel like I'm unemployed right now.  I may try to squeeze something in beforehand.  I just have that mentality, strike while the iron's hot, because it could all be gone tomorrow.

MW: I had to do some redeeming myself.  The bad guy who's trying to do something good is usually the one I root for.

Jan. 27 Teacher joke: I got this from Daily Silly.

"If there are any idiots in the room, will they please stand up" said the sarcastic teacher. After a long silence, one freshman rose to his feet. "Now then mister, why do you consider yourself an idiot?" inquired the teacher with sneer. "Well, actually I don't," said the student, "but I hate to see you standing up there all by yourself."

Me: It was kind of a mean joke.  I bet the teacher in real life would yell at the student and send him to the office for talking back.

Flashback: I mentioned this before.  It did remind me of that time in Social 23 with Mr. Smith saying this to the entire class.

Mr. Smith: I don't assign you guys homework because I know you're not going to do it.

It's a diss, but it's the plain truth.  This class is below grade level, so either you're not good in school, not good in Social, or you're a slacker.  He taught this class before in other yrs, so what makes this class different from the others?

Woman finds birth parents: I found this on Yahoo news.  Jenessa Simons put up this pic of her on Facebook.  She holds up a poster board of her info like when she was born, when her parents were born (both 16 yrs old) and where she was born.  She asked people to like and share her photos.  She then found her birth mom the next day:

"Everyone I am happy to announce that I found my birth mother :D Thank you so much for everything you all have done for me, I have been on the news, and done interviews, and because of all of you, I have found my birth family :D THank you all SO SO much," Simons wrote on Facebook on Tuesday.

http://ca.shine.yahoo.com/blogs/shine-on/jenessa-simons-finds-birth-mom-facebook-photo-183614915.html

That is so nice.  I read a comment by Disgusted Canuck that he or she found his or her daughter on Myspace and Facebook.  I remember reading way back in 2006, that this guy was trying to find his sister.  He did think: "What 16 yr old girl doesn't have a Myspace account?"  He then found her.

I did talk to a woman where she said her fiance found his dad through Facebook.

Feb. 8: Katie Beers was on 20/20 tonight.  It was good to watch her.  She is now married with 2 kids.  She is happy and says that is the life that she always wanted.

No comments: