Sunday, December 30, 2012

write a book/ Angels of Brothels/ Jake Sasseville

Dec. 15 Write a book: I've been reading a lot of book reviews in the Edmonton Journal, National Post, and the Globe and Mail.  Once a week on the weekend editions, they put out book reviews.  I read it to learn about stories and characters.  As you can see from my blog, I'm a prolific writer. 

I don't know what kind of book I could write.  I did find this blog post by Scott Berkun called "How to Write a book-the short honest truth."  He talks about how it's really hard to write a book, and harder to get it published.  However, self-publishing in the digital age has made it much easier.

http://scottberkun.com/2007/how-to-write-a-book-the-short-honest-truth/

Dec. 20 Microsoft Publisher: I have these computer programs on my new computer.  I decided to study up on Microsoft Excel, Access, Outlook, and PowerPoint.  I did find Publisher really fun. 

There are all these templates to make newsletters, cards, calenders, post cards, business cards, etc.  This reminds me of my graphic design program I took at NAIT.  We didn't use this though.  We used Corel Draw, Adobe Photoshop, and Adobe Indesign.

Documentaries: I had put this in my "Inspirational quotes (Part 9)."  It was from a Globe and Mail article I read:

“I don’t think I can leave the documentary realm.  Docs keep us on our toes.  It’s more than improvisation.  It’s all about capturing and interpreting reality which is how I define filmmaking.”- Yung Chang

I don't really watch documentaries.  I sometimes did when my brother and dad watches Discovery Channel shows about animals.  I like to watch 20/20 news magazine shows.  It's interesting and informative.

XII Tribes Entertainment: I was told by a producer Michel Zgarka to "like" this on Facebook.  I did and I also found a trailer for a harrowing documentary called Angels of Brothels.

Angels of Brothels: Here's a trailer.  It's about a man who saves women and girls from human trafficking.  He brings his hidden cameras around and risks his life to save them.  Even the trailer is kind of hard to watch. 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfjtd6-BwRU

Disks: Today I checked to see if my 3.5 floppy disks all work.  Yeah, they still do even if some are from 10 yrs ago.

The Vertex Fighter: I was reading some feng shui again, and it inspired me to clean my room.  I have The Vertex Fighter drafts 1, 2, and 4 printed out on scrap paper.  They're from 2007 and 2008.  I then emailed those drafts on my fun email account.  Today I emailed them on my professional email account.  I have it saved on 3.5 floppy disks.

Now I have 3 digital copies of it, so I can then recycle the paper drafts because it's clutter.

Dec. 21 Beyond Structure: I was going through my old emails like The Great American Pitchfest newsletter, and it mentioned David Freeman teaching his class "Beyond Structure."  It says he taught screenwriters to write movies like X-Men: First Class.

I checked out a bit of the website, and it seems pretty good about writing stories.  I would have to read more later.

http://www.beyondstructure.com/start.php

Scripter: I also got this email and learned about a business called Scripter.  It's where you send in your script, and professional script readers read it and write a report about it for a fee.  After you get the report, you can improve your script to production companies and there is a higher chance your script will be picked up.  They give you "coverage."

On the FAQ page:

"Coverage" is an industry term for the written analysis of a script. An industry-standard coverage report is 1-3 pages in length and consists of three parts: (1) some basic info about the script (e.g., author, genre, logline); (2) a synopsis of the script; and (3) an analysis of its strengths and weaknesses.

http://www.scripter.us/pages/frontpage

Jake Sasseville: I read about him in Metro newspaper about a month ago.  He was 15 yrs old and he produced a TV show.  Oh that was my dream to produce a TV show while I was still in high school.  He's 27 yrs old just like me. 

According to Wikipedia: Sasseville developed “The Edge with Jake Sasseville” while a fifteen year old in Maine. He aired the show on local Public-access television cable TV and later on the local Fox station. After moving to New York, he began to create syndication deals with individual TV stations. At its peak, “The Edge” aired on at least 37 stations following a guerrilla marketing campaign that encouraged fans to contact TV stations.[4] Guests included actor Rainn Wilson of The Office, musician and activist Wyclef Jean, and comedian Will Forte of Saturday Night Live.[5] Repeats continued until the summer of 2010.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jake_Sasseville

Bleeder: I think I found this either in the National Post or Globe and Mail book reviews.  This is a vampire book called Bleeder.  You can read it for free online, chapter by chapter.  It says if you like the story, you can donate.  I guess that means pay.

The author is Monica S. Kuebler who lives in Toronto.  She grew up reading Stephen King.  I haven't read the book, because I read so much already with the newspapers.

However, I just think it's really cool to have your book published online.
http://www.bleederbook.com/


5 comments:

mile said...

Enjoyed the interview and article. That is very useful to me and hope you'll write more like this. explore the details for more info about the academic paper writing services.

Ralph C. Kiefer said...

Hi,I would like to commend you for posting this topic on your blog. This seems really good and interesting as well. You can visit website and I know important source also very useful for the students to make them too brilliant.

Ava Lou said...

The sounds is great, would love to read it. There you need to know some regular facts on writing the literature side though. look at this and it will be so useful for any sort of statement of purpose writing

Velva Block said...

I read many kinds of books horror, romantic and many books but after read your book I forget all the authors. Because I feel your story book and click here www.plagerismchecker.org/online-free-plagerism-checker-for-research-papers because it so much actual story, I feel may be its my real life I am there.

good service said...

write a book is not so easy to do. I know the value of this. This is so hard for all. But as a writer it is so easy for me and also I can do this very easily. So this is so good thing for me. And I also like this.