Tuesday, December 25, 2012

hackers/ Deluxe Burger/ holidays

Nov. 21 Hackers: I was researching computer jobs before.  It was to see if I can get a career in the computer industry.  It was also to do some research for my script.  It could be about hackers.  Kind of like the movie The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.

Here is a good description: "Computer hackers are unauthorized users who break into computer systems in order to steal, change or destroy information,"

This website gives good tips on how to avoid hackers: like delete spam, don't open spam, get a 2 way firewall, etc.

http://www.webroot.com/En_US/consumer/articles/computer-security-threats-hackers

Nov. 22 Question: I was reading in the Globe and Mail article by Brad Wheeler.  SOCAN (the Society of Composers, Authors and Music Publishers of Canada) had a poll: "Who would you want to have dinner with?"

23% musician
21% actor
18% athlete
13% writer
13% politician

It's kind of like the question: "If you could meet anyone living or dead, who would you want to meet?" 

In the first question, I would say an actor, David Anders.  You may have seen him on Once Upon a Time.  I've been a fan of his since Jan. 2002 when he first appeared on Alias.

You may have thought: "I thought you were going to say writer because you're a writer."  Well I have talked to Writers in Residences before like Marty Chan, Chris Craddock, Conni Massing, Jocelyn Brown, and Lynn Coady through the phone and email.  I have met Marty Chan in person.

I have met some musicians like the British boy band Blue (and got a hug from my favorite member Lee Ryan), and Kyle Riabko.  I would like to meet Robin Thicke. 

The only politician I would really like to meet is Barack Obama.

Nov. 26 Rain script: Today was very productive.

1. I went to work and worked for 6hrs.
2. I got home and spent 1 hr and 15 min looking for an office job and applied to some places.  I then emailed my friend some job postings.
3. Then I worked on my Rain script.

I written something last night and typed it up today.  It's a few pages, but I think I improved the story.

Feng shui: What inspired me to go and write the Rain script today is because of feng shui.  First I threw out my extra copy of The Vertex Fighter draft 5.  Then I still had this big pile of like 100 scrap paper on my desk of handwritten scenes and notes.  It's an accurate estimate.  30 of the pages were for The Vertex Fighter.  70 of the pages were for Rain.

I decided that I should print out the Rain script, because I find myself reading my old notes that don't have relevance of being used in the script.

Dec. 5 Rant: This is about winter.  Yesterday I went to work at the call centre.  After that I waited for the bus for 5 min. and was on it for about 15 min.  I then got off and had to wait for the bus for 30min.  I got home and I checked the electronic thermometer to see how cold it's outside.  It was -10C.

I was dressed warmly with my yoga jacket, and a winter jacket over it.  I had on a toque, and a hood over it.  I wore gloves and cotton pants.  I wore winter boots.  However, I think I should have wore an extra pair of socks because my toes got cold when I was out there for so long. 

At least I had a newspaper to read in a well-lit area to keep my mind occupied from the cold.  It also made me appreciate shoveling snow today.  I am actively shoveling and moving around unlike standing there waiting for a bus.

Feelings: I feel kind of down today.  I don't know, winter? 

It could be my job search.  I did look and apply for some jobs today.

Dec. 13 Marriage photos: Here is marriage photo of a couple on their wedding day.  6 decades later, the husband is in the hospital.   
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/good-news/six-decades-love-photo-goes-viral-pulls-heartstrings-173502559.html

Dec. 15 Capilano: I was there a few weeks ago, and Payless Shoe Source was closing down.

City Centre:
Last week I was in downtown doing some job interviews.  I was at City Centre mall, and ARJ Imports is closing down on Dec. 31 because the lease is up.  There's a new store called Fascino Travel and Leisure that sells discount nail polish, perfumes, and bags.

Good deed: I was at the mall, and this guy in a wheelchair said: "Excuse me" and I see what he wanted.  He said he needed me to button the top button on his collar, so I did it.  As long as he's not asking for money, that's fine.

Deluxe Burger: Earlier this week, my co-workers had our own little Christmas party at Deluxe Burger at West Ed mall.  I've never been there before.  I ordered the Urban Classic burger for $10.  It was good.  I sampled my co-worker's fries, and they were average.

The dessert was blue and pink cotton candy, and it was complementary.  I thought the cotton candy was unique because it's not often sold at restaurants.  My sister had recommended to try the lobster nachos.  It costs $17.  They're an appetizer, but the order is really big so you can eat it like an entree.  One ordered it as an appetizer and the other ordered it as an entree.  It's really good.

There are poutines and even dog food for your dog to take home and eat it.  There were also these little shopping carts of fries.  Dog food and shopping carts are also unique to this restaurant.

There is good music, like Top 40 music from the last 10 yrs.  Good service.  The restaurant looked trendy and modern.  There was a little Christmas decorations with white trees and wreaths with blue ornaments.  I do recommend you try it.

The only nitpick I have is the price.  A pop is $3.  I would usually buy a burger at a fast food joint because it's cheaper.

Holidays: Anne Laurie sent me this article "4 Ways to Make the Holiday Season more Enjoyable."  Limit commitments, enjoy the simple things, remember your childhood memories with accuracy, and look at the holiday through your child's eyes.

If you really look at your commitments, you may not "have" to go to all these events and parties.  You can probably see these people another time.

http://www.gonannies.com/blog/2012/4-ways-to-make-the-holiday-season-more-enjoyable/

Toddler toys:
Roxanne Porter sent met this article "Holiday Gift Guide for Toddlers."  They're educational toys like blocks, shape toys and arts and crafts.  I have a nitpick these days with little kids playing with iPhones and iPads, and hand held video games.  I think kids should interact with the people around them like their families.

I would say the same with adults.  It seems we're all staring at our screens.  Well if you're riding on a bus, then you can do all that.  If you're out with friends, then don't stare at a screen.

Nanny Jobs website has a fun logo.  The letter J is an umbrella which is a shout out to Mary Poppins.

http://www.nannyjobs.org/blog/holiday-gift-guide-for-toddlers-1-3-years/
     

No comments: