Tuesday, August 21, 2012

magazine consultant/ story editor/ creativity

Aug. 3 Magazine consultant: Ryan Dorhn works with business owners, marketing directors and publishing companies.  This is his business site called Brain Swell Media.
http://www.ryandohrn.com/2008080766/internet-strategy-magazine-consultant.htmlAug. 7 Story editor: I Google "How to be a story editor."

Ehow:
This is a helpful article.  A story editor reads the script and forms it to the director's view.  I did learn that time frame has an effect on how you work.  There are priorities that change that as soon as funding is in, you're working on the script because it will be shot soon.
http://www.ehow.com/about_6545136_story-editor_s-job-description.html

TV story editor:
There's one part for scripted television.
1. Write a script for a TV show that already exists, or write an original story. 
2. Submit your scripts to TV agents.
3. Get hired on a TV show and learn as much as you can.
4. Lobby for a promotion from staff writer to story editor.
http://www.ehow.com/how_2151305_be-tv-story-editor.html

Career planner:
I did find this site where you can look up job descriptions.
http://dot-job-descriptions.careerplanner.com/STORY-EDITOR.cfm

SBPRA:
I found this bookmark on my desk.  It stands for Strategic Book Publishing and Rights Association.  It's something I picked up when I was at Coles bookstore at City Centre.  I remembered it was either in 2011 or 2010. 
The author Lord Ronald Streeter was promoting his picture book called Grumpy Brother Christmas.  The story is the Father Christmas broke his leg, so his grumpy Brother Christmas who doesn't like kids has to do his job.
You can pitch your story to them.  There are author success stories and testimonials.
http://sbpra.com/
Aug. 9 Script pitch: Today is my day off and I spent 3hrs this morning looking for an office job.  This afternoon, I pitched my script to this production company.  I found this note on my desk that I wrote back in 2010 that told me to pitch to them.
There were also a few other production companies I was supposed to mail my pitch, synopsis, and submission release form to.  I did that earlier this week.  I had lost this piece of paper, and I was also busy focusing on my office job search in 2011 that I didn't do this.  Also my printer wasn't working, but now it does I can print out that stuff to send in.

Stephanie Levac:
Also her name was written on the same paper.  I checked my email account to find her, but it must have been deleted.  I then Google her and she's on Twitter.  This must be her because she's part of the National Film Board.
I decided to follow her on Twitter.  On another note, she kind of looks like Amy Winehouse.  I've been listening to AW on Youtube, but these two look alike with the same dark hair.

Page Master:
I found this note in my 2009 agenda to submit to Page Master Publications.  I did some research, and it's really a self-publishing company in downtown.  It publishes your books and art.  If you're interested, check it out:
http://pagemaster.ca/

Carte- Blanche:
Also from the same agenda it said "Submit to Carte- Blanche."  It's a literary magazine.  I heard about it through one of my creative writing classes in college.  I submitted a story.  I have submitted short stories since Oct. 2011.
http://carte-blanche.org/submissions/
Aug. 10 Creativity: This is related to my writing email.  I need to be more creative in my scripts.

Tim Handorf sent me this article "101 Creativity Tips for Teachers."  There are 101 tips, but it's a fast and easy read.  It's not just for teachers, but for anybody who wants to be creative.  #55 was "Give freedom, but have a focus. Give students a focus so that they have a goal to work towards."

That's like me with my job search.  I'm imagining other jobs like a dance teacher.  A little out of the ordinary, but there was a focus to a job.  
 

The sections are divided: Finding creative inspiration, capitalizing on the creative spark, inspiring students, creative activities, sharing and collaborating, and educate yourself. 

"#66 Get Hypothetical. Creating hypothetical situations  is one way to get creative. When you consider what could happen, potential solutions, and likely reactions, you can open up whole new avenues of thinking."  I do that with my creative writing situations for my script.  As in "What if the story was about this character instead of this one?  What would happen if we make the story about him instead?  Would it be darker?"
The thing is to focus on productive hypothetical situations like for my writing and job search.  Don't think about my hypothetical daughter working at Hooters and what I would do.  That's not a productive way to use my time and creativity.
Aug. 13 Common Ties: I'm feeling kind of down after I got another reject from a job.  I switched gears to writing.  I was going through my old emails and found that I have submitted some stories to Common Ties magazine back in 2007.  I tried to find the website and it said it had "problem loading page."  It may not exist anymore.

http://www.commonties.com/
Accenti: I then found Accenti magazine also from my 2007 emails.  I did find a writing contest, but the entry fee is $20.  The magazine still exists.  The website looks good.
https://www.accenti.ca/writing-contest

No comments: