Tuesday, July 31, 2012

publishing/ NAIT classes/ agent

Jul. 9 Publishing: I was looking for a regular job today and it lead me to Lone Pine Publishing.  They print Ghost Stories of Alberta and other subjects like gardening.

http://www.lonepinepublishing.com/

This one is for cooking. 

http://www.companyscoming.com/

Jul. 12 Commercials: Yelin George sent me this article "10 Reasons TV Commercials are Less Effective Nowadays."  It talked about how we have DVR (Digital Video Recording) and we fast forward through the commercials.  On TV shows and movies, the people use and say the brand name products.  Also people use the commercial time to get up and get some food, or go on the internet. etc. and not pay attention to the commercials.

http://www.cabletvproviders.net/blog/2012/10-reasons-tv-commercials-are-less-effective-nowadays/

Internet in the movies: Christine Kane sent me this article "10 Most Accurate Movies about the Internet."  It listed Catfish (2010) and
"example of the gulf between expectations and reality."  The article was fun to read because it's about movies.  It mentioned The Matrix.   
http://www.internetserviceproviders.org/blog/2012/10-most-accurate-movies-about-the-internet/

Jul. 16 Insight Editions: I got this email, and it's about a publishing company called Insight Editions.  They sell books for films like a Harry Potter pop-up book.  I did find a funny book called Goodnight Husband, Goodnight Wife.  It's written by head writers/ executive producers Eric Stangel and Justin Stangel who work for the David Letterman Show

http://www.insighteditions.com/Goodnight-Husband-Wife-Eric-Stangel/dp/1608870936

Jul. 17 Time management: I was going through my Freelance Writer's group emails and it lead me to this article "Manage time as a Freelancer."  Even if you aren't a freelancer, it's still useful with tips like getting rid of distractions and prioritizing to get things done.

http://www.opportunitiesplanet.com/freelancing/manage-time-as-a-freelancer/?goback=.gde_101577_member_97392376


Summer fun: Larry Dignan sent me this article called "50 Fun Self-Improvement to Assign Yourself this Summer."  It's mainly learning things like cooking, gardening, and learning to do stand-up comedy.  Check it out here.  I watched the first 3 videos, and it's kind of funny.  Be forewarned, there is profanity and mature humor.

http://www.standupcomedyclass.com/

Or you can be creative and make your own book with your words and pictures here:

http://www.blurb.com/

Jul. 18 Production companies: Last month I emailed my The Vertex Fighter script, synopsis and the 250 word summary to this production company.  They got back to me today, and they rejected it. 

However, another producer emailed me back after I sent my script pitch to them last month.  He said he can't produce it, but he will take a look at my one page synopsis.  He also gave me tips of cold calling producers, and using the script to look for an agent. 

I said that's what I did: I go on the internet and email producers.  I did one time tried to get an agent, but got rejected.  Now I can start looking for an agent again.  I was going through my old emails, and it turns out that the last time I tried to get an agent was back in 2008.

Saying: I was thinking about the saying by Winston Churchill: "No matter how beautiful the strategy is, you should occasionally look at the results." 

I apply this to my job search, but I'm also applying to reading my Freelance Writer's group emails.  Does this help me get published or get writing jobs?  It has lots of writers talking about getting freelance jobs, having blogs, getting published on Kindles, etc.  I do like to read from like-minded people like me.  I would say my friend Sherry is the one who emails about writing to me. 

NAIT classes: There is a class at NAIT called Television Production.  It's 30hrs and teaches you how to use TV cameras, lighting, and shooting.  It costs $495 and the classes are one night a week, 7pm-10pm.  It's kind of late, and I would have to take 2 buses to get home.  I would be home by 11pm.  This is technical stuff.

There is Introduction to Final Cut Pro 7, it's 12hrs and it's about learning how to edit film on that program.  I'm not totally interested in this.

There is a class on how to be a Script Supervisor.  It lists some of the duties here.  That seems interesting, but there aren't any classes listed.


• time and break down a script
• carry out effective slating
• make notes on each shot.

Here's the Producer's Emergence Program.  I still have the NAIT ad I got.  I see the date of the ad, and the program came out in 2006.  I was already at MacEwan studying writing.  It looks like I probably won't get into this class because you need a project proposal and a personal interview.  It's $2000 for 112hrs.  I'm more into TV Production and Script Supervisor class.

http://www.nait.ca/course_RTA30.htm?AsOfDate=2012-08-01

Jul. 19 Student loans: I was talking to a server today and she had taken the Culinary Arts at NAIT and graduated.  Now she's taking something else.  She told me about student loans and how the government pays for your education.  After you graduate, you pay the government back, 60% of the loan.  So if your tuition is $1000, you have to pay back the govt. $600.

Jul. 21 Script pitch: Yesterday I submitted my The Vertex Fighter synopsis and script pitch to a TV production company.  I tried to print out the submission release form, but it didn't work.  Then I remembered a few weeks ago at the library, and the librarian converted it to a PDF file and then was able to print it.

It's for another production company, and when I converted it to a PDF file on my computer, it printed.

Jul. 23 Agent: Good news, yesterday I started emailing some agents again.  Today one of them wanted to read my script.  I did email this agent back in 2008, and they asked to read my script and I sent it to them.  They never got back to me.  Or they did, and I forgot.  This time I made a note to email them later to see if they read it.

No comments: