Tuesday, June 26, 2012

new direction/ investments/ job interview

Jun. 19 New direction: I went to my career counselor and had told her about my new direction of applying to TV production companies.  Then I also told her I had thought up another position to apply for there.  Today is my day off so I'm applying to them.

Twitter: I also got another email from Twitter saying I need to change my password.  This is like the third time that's happened.

Call backs:
I was going through my email account and see that I have missed a job opportunity.  Well I called this person twice and left a message each time, but they never got back to me. 

I was supposed to get a call back from this job interview I did by last week.  They didn't call back so I can assume they didn't hire me.

Counter intuitive company policies: Alissa Alvarez sent me this article called "20 Counter intuitive company policies that actually work."  #8 was about the good company Zappos.  20/20 covered them and I wrote about in my blog.  It says "Paying new employees to quit."  Zappos offers the new employee $2000 to quit right now or stick around.  10% of the call centre employees quit.  No surprise because it's a call centre.  There are lots of people who don't like it.  The point is to get rid of the employees who don't fit into the company sooner than later. 

Others are "benefits for part-timers" so good employees are more committed to staying.  There are "no vacation policies", "closed on Sundays (at a restaurant)", "telecommuting", and "half-day Fridays."  These things make employees more productive as in they get their work done so they could leave early on Fri. 

It's a really good article, check it out.

Misdemeanors: Jena Ellis sent me this article called "7 Misdemeanors that can Ruin your Career."  It's harder to get hired and retain employment if you have these misdemeanors.

There are things like "petty theft" that is stealing things less than $100.  It varies from state to state.  DUI's can affect your career.  Sex offenses for sure.  I mean, would you want to hire or keep an employee who steals money from the company?  You don't trust this person.  But somebody who is a sexual offender?  I would be scared to work there.  At the very least, uncomfortable. 

It could be indecent exposure.  I would like to know the whole story like the person could have been drunk and woke up naked on his front lawn and was charged with it.  Then that's no harm really.

Bad advice: Jasmine Hall sent me this article "10 Worst Bits of Advice that Boomers Gave Us."  A few of them were about jobs, but some about real life.  "#5 Go to college.  You shouldn't a hard time finding a job if you do."  Then it adds "...unless the economy collapses."  True.

"#4 You really don't want to flip burgers for the rest of your life."  Here's a good tip: "Ambition can be a great thing, but just because someone has a certain job doesn’t mean they inherently lack it; it merely means that their goals and priorities sit elsewhere."

Rape: But it also talks about "#3 Don't go out dressed like that.  You'll get raped."  This line stood out for me: "where nothing bad ever happens to women in religious coverings."  It did lead me to read this article called "Rape Myths 2007."  It's a very good article, which I'll probably read even more later.

http://www.wcsap.org/sites/www.wcsap.org/files/uploads/documents/RapeMyths2007.pdf

Jun. 20 Investments: This is related to my job search email because investments are in the business section of the newspaper.  Yesterday I set up an appointment with the bank.  The last time I did anything was back in Jan.  In my defense, in a period of 6 months I was working at my restaurant job (and a few temporary part-time jobs), and looking for an office job and going to interviews.  Investments were at the bottom of my priority.

Retirement: I have been reading the business section of the newspaper everyday with savings tips.  If you want to save for retirement, you should save more like 33% of your income to put into retirement.  If you can.  Most people put 10% of their income.

I spent an hr and learned some things about mutual funds.  Did you know a Retired Savings Plan (RSP) is the same as a Registered Retirement Savings Plan (RRSP)?  My financial adviser says don't let the acronym fool you.

Quizzes: There was actually sort of a quiz you can take to see if you are more risk-adverse so what investments and funds should you take?  If you are young, and can take the risk of an investment losing money in one year and get back on it's feet the next year, you should buy it.  If you are old like in your 50s, then you should get a conservative investment.

There was another kind of quiz, where you can calculate how much money you need for retirement.  You add how much money you're making now and times that by how many years you're working and when you plan to retire like age 65.  You should go to the bank once a year for this check up.  Your income could change and that could affect your retirement.  When you get older, your priorities change so you want to lower your risk in investments.

Overall, it was a very informative hour and it went by fast.  It was like that career counseling session.  It goes by fast and it's helpful.

Emotions: We also discussed what I read in The Globe and Mail business section.  Investments have 2 emotions: fear and greed.  Fear of losing money and greed for getting more money.

Job interview: Today I went to a job interview on my day off.  The pros were that it was close by, the pay was good, and I think I can do the job.  I can ask for help from two people.  If they aren't there, there are more people to ask for help.  I can work at the restaurant on the weekends. 

The con was that I was told that there were a lot of applicants.  However, he did say a lot of them were students so they may not be working when the school year starts.  Though some may say they want to work during the school year, and that the office is in the field they're studying.  This is one of the good interviews I had.

I can't control the job market, but I can control my job search.

Jun. 21: Today I went to another job interview.  It was kind of eh.  The pros: It's part-time, and it may lead to full-time.  I think I can do the job, and I can get there easily.  They haven't decided on the days or hours.  I can still work at the restaurant.

How do I feel?  If I get hired, I don't feel really excited about it.  It's okay if you don't feel excited about it.

Jun. 25: I'm going to admit something.  I cancelled on going to a job interview to Office #1.  Yesterday I got an email from Office #2 and it's around that area.  I then looked at the bus routes and see that if I was to work on Sun., I would have to take 3 buses to get there.  I took a look to see the buses to get to Office #1 for the night shifts.  I realized it would be really hard to get there.  So I didn't go to it.

No comments: