Monday, April 30, 2012

Linked In/ TV production company/ International Experience Canada

Apr. 26 Linked In: The other day I was on Linked In, and I have a couple of my college writing friends there.  Then I see that a lot of my old classmates are on there too so I added them.  I'm already friends with them on Facebook, but with Linked In, it's more professional.  Facebook is usually used for fun.

Stable careers: I found this on Yahoo.  It's about stable careers like teachers and nurses.  That's predictable.  Some new ones are social media marketers, computer systems analysts, and recruiter for temporary jobs.

http://career-advice.monster.ca/job-hunt-strategy/getting-started/eight-stable-career-choices/article.aspx?WT.mc_n=Ycanada_YToday

Twitter: Helene Schmidt sent this to me through my blog "50 Useful Twitter Feeds for Econ Students."  There are 10 each for economists, entrepreneurship, money, finance, and business news; personal finance, and politics.

I am interested in personal finance because they mention feeds about how to save money.

http://www.onlinecollege.org/2012/04/11/50-useful-twitter-feeds-for-econ-students/

Careers for older workers: Roxanne McAnn sent me this article "8 Great Careers for Older Workers."  It's for people 55 and over.  I decided to read it anyway to get some ideas.  They mention blogger and most bloggers make $100 a month.

The careers listed for any age really like caregiver, grant proposal writer, green jobs, bed-and-breakfast owner.  I remember the kid show The Mystery Files of Shelby Woo where Shelby and her grandpa own a bed-and-breakfast inn.

Industries: Carol Brown sent me this article "10 Industries most in need of Skilled Workers."  They listed some trades like manufacturing, mining, oil and gas extraction, and construction.  There is healthcare, biotech, and childcare.

http://www.onlinecollege.org/2012/04/08/10-industries-most-in-need-of-skilled-workers/

Business acronyms: Roxanne McAnn sent me this "9 Business Acronyms you need to know."  This is a really informative article that explains what the acronym stands for.  It's also a little funny with the "What you thought it meant."

"#8 is IDEA: ... IDEAL: Identify, Define, Explore, Action, Lookback. What You Thought It Meant: Intergalactic Drug Enforcement Agency. Watch out, junkie aliens. You're next."

Apr. 27 TV production company: I did a job interview today at a TV production company.  I didn't get hired, but it was very helpful.  The woman who worked there gave me a lot of tips, and contacts for me to break into the TV business.  She mentioned AMPIA, FAVA, and other TV production companies to contact.

Apr. 29 Post Secret: This is in my job search email, because I feel there is motivation in these secrets.  It keeps me going and to keep pushing myself.  It also talks about people's successes and the flip side of it.

"All the joke are true... I'm becoming a teacher because I know I wouldn't make it in the real world."

Me: I'm sure there are a lot of teachers out there who are offended by this.  I would say to this person: "Don't put limits on yourself."  You may really love being a teacher, and it's a respectful occupation.  There's good job security.

"I was 17 the first time I saw you speak (to the Post Secret creator Frank Warren).  My perfect boyfriend took me to the perfect prom, before I graduated (valedictorian!)  Now I'm 22, I dropped out of school, I'm single, I work a s---ty job, and I have no idea what I'm doing with my life.  I'VE NEVER BEEN HAPPIER."

"In the past 15 yrs, I have lived and worked all over the world.  Everyone thinks my life is glamorous.  But the truth is, every time I plan another move, I pray that someone will love me enough to ask me not to go."

A secret was ""The secret of my success is never waiting for anyone to join me."

Apr. 30 International Experience Canada: I was reading 24 today and it talked about International Experience Canada.  If you're 18-35 yrs old, you can travel to another country and work there.  They do not provide financial assistance, but there are organizations that help you plan the trip.

You can work at any kind of job, but it's mostly hospitality like at a restaurant or a hotel.  On the second link I give you, at the end it said it's a good life experience to learn about other cultures which is "marketable in a global economy." 

I don't think it's really for me because I already work at restaurant in Canada.


http://www.international.gc.ca/experience/index.aspx?view=d

http://www.international.gc.ca/experience/faqs.aspx?lang=eng&view=d#q7

Job fair: I was going through my old pamphlets from a job fair at the University of Alberta.  It was months ago.  I went to two job fairs.  Katimavik: I remember seeing a commercial from here years ago.  It's a 6 month program where Canadians from 17-21 volunteers.  They work full-time for not-for-profit organizations.

In the pamphlet it said that research shows that "students who take a productive break between high school and post-secondary education (gap year) are more likely to find work faster and at a higher pay rate than those who have not."

I guess I would have like Katimavik because I want to help people.  However, I would probably take the summer (2 months) and then I have to go to school to upgrade to go to college.  My summer before I upgraded wasn't really productive.  I couldn't get a job though I passed out a bunch of resumes.  I was 18 and I didn't have any work experience.  I didn't go to summer school either for the first time like the past 4 summers. 
 

Email: Roxanne McAnn sent me this article "9 Oft-Overlooked Email Etiquette Tips Every Young Worker Should Know" through my blog.  It's a straight-forward article about thinking before you send.  Sound professional and get straight to the point in an email.  Emails can last forever in a hard drive and can be traced.

Online retailer: Roxanne McAnn also sent me this infographic "A Peek inside Online Retailers' Warehouses."  Amazon is doing very well this year according to the business section of the newspaper.  It's interesting and informative to read.

More than 15% of the warehouse workers are temporary employees and they make $3 less an hour than permanent workers.  This seems to be a dangerous job with hand injuries, back pain, and arthritis.  


Job search effect: I always say TV influences me the most, but I find my job search has an effect on how I watch TV.  When I was a teenager watching Cops, I think how exciting the show is.

Now I'm 26, and I think: Watching Cops is like a job shadow.  A job shadow is where you follow somebody and shadow them when they're doing their job.  You watch and learn from them.  By watching this show, I learn that I wouldn't like this occupation.   

No comments: