Monday, March 19, 2012

left-right brain/ hypothetical careers/ career counseling

Mar. 8 Left-right brain: I'm using my left and right brain to make a decision to not go to that Call Centre #7.

My left-brain says: "I have a second part-time temporary job lined up for me later. I have done a 1hr job interview to learn about this job. I have done a 4hr training session/ job shadow of this place. I don't like it. Even if I go into a second training session, what makes you think I will like it after the second time? I had a good 5 days to think about it after that session.

It's only $11/hr. My dad was blase about it when I told him. No one in my family said: "You have to stick with it." It's not like the bank where it paid $15/hr. Or that customer service position that was like $14/hr. Those 2 cases I was dismissed because I wasn't good enough.

My right brain says: I'm dreading coming to work. I don't have to like a job. I just have to be able to tolerate it like Call Centre #2, and Call Centre #3. Same goes with Call Centre #4, but I was dismissed after one day because 9 completes wasn't enough.

Mar. 10 Hospital: I learned a lesson recently. I got a call on Fri. on my cell phone and I called the number. I didn't know who it was by the voice mail message. I didn't leave a message. Then later I got a call from a similar number on Mon. The first 3 digits were the same. It was the same name and it was from the hospital.

The lesson is: whenever you get a call from your cell phone, always call back to know who it is. Always call and leave a message because if you don't, you might miss out on a good job opportunity like working at a hospital.

Survey: Today I got a survey emailed to me from this site that emails me jobs. I did the survey and they asked good questions like: "What sites do you go on to look for a job?"

Mar. 13 Job interview: It was really busy at work yesterday. Today it was busy too, because I had to go and work at another department because they needed me.

Today I did another job interview at a hospital for a food service position. It was at another location. They asked similar questions. The shifts are more set. They pay is the same with both hospitals. I think I did well because I told them I have worked in the restaurant and food industry for a few years already.

Hypothetical careers: I've been thinking about this for awhile. I feel like I'm on the right path with my Professional Writing diploma. I'm looking for an administrative assistant position so I can use my writing and computer skills. Here are 2 careers that I thought would be fun and cool to have when I was a kid and teenager. Then by the time I graduated out of high school, it's not really a fit for me at all.

Actor: When I was 11 yrs old, I wanted to get into acting. I took drama in gr. 7, 9, 10, and 12. Let's be straight up. I only wanted to be an actor so I can get admiration. When you look at a famous actor, you think how hot and talented he or she is. I did know it's going to be hard work. You would have to struggle for years. You may not make it as in get on TV shows or movies.

You would most likely work a regular job and then plan your auditions around your work. When you do get a job like to work on a 1hr drama, the days are long. Some can be 18hr work days. The cameras have to get all the shots and keep re-shooting and getting different takes. Don't you watch gag reels? People mess up their lines or something goes wrong during filming.

Modeling: I'm always learning. I remember watching Tyra Banks talk show, and she was telling someone that if you want to be a model, you have to go to "go-sees." That's like an audition where a model goes to a modeling agency and shows their portfolio of their pictures. TB says you should get a night job like a bartender. Work at night, go to go-sees in the day time.

I remember watching Matthew Bomer on Jimmy Kimmel back in 2007. He was promoting his TV show Traveler and how he was on the soap opera Guiding Light prior to it.

MB: On a soap opera, you have to remember 30 pages of dialogue a day and you only get one take.

I didn't know how hard that was to be on a soap opera until I saw the interview. Basically, there's a small chance that you will be successful as an actor. There isn't really good job security because you never know when your next job is and how long it's going to last. I also don't like to have to make money off my looks. It's flattering, but if I was to be complimented on something, I would prefer on my talent and personality.

Police officer: I also thought it would be cool to be a police officer. You're helping people and changing their lives. You're getting criminals off the streets. When I was 21, I was watching the TV show Cops. I get so angry when I watch it because of the people disrespecting the cops.

You would have to deal with criminals, and annoying drunk people. There are lots of stupid people out there. You have to confront situations. When you work in a restaurant or retail environment, you're catering and selling to people. They may be annoying, but you deal with them to make money off them. As for criminals, you have to find them, arrest them, do paper work, it's really hard work.

You can suffer from post-traumatic stress disorder and depression. I feel like after I go to work, I come home, I would be stressed out. It's a dangerous profession. You would be scared and paranoid. You may have a gun to feel safer. I wouldn't really like this profession.

Mar. 14 Office: Today I went to another interview to a section of town I haven't really been to before. It was at an office. I was 20 min. early and he was prepared. I think the interview went well because my college education and customer service experience seemed to impress him.

Mar. 15 Career counseling: I went to another session with the same career counselor I saw last month. We talked a bit more about my interpersonal skills, and she says I'm "observant." We talked about emotional intelligence: It's about reading people, and being able to respond to them.

I guess I wanted a concrete solution. I wanted her to tell me if I'm going in the right direction.

Me: Have you ever had somebody come in and say: "I want to go into business." You look at their grades and their personality, and then you tell them: "You're not really a fit for business. You should go into law enforcement."
CC: No, I haven't done that before. They know themselves. They are the ones who ultimately choose what they want to do. I give them guidance and ask questions: "Why do you want to be in business? What are the skills that would make you be good in business?"

She's a really helpful career counselor. I needed fresh eyes and someone objective to look at my resume, mock interview, and my skills. She's really nice. I guess I wanted someone to tell me straight-up: "You need to do the following steps to get into this industry. One, go to these websites. Two, call these numbers."

She's telling me more about self-analysis: "Think about your strengths and how it applies to the jobs you're applying to."

Mar. 16: I got a call back from the office, and I didn't get the job, but he will keep my resume on my file.

No comments: