Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Jake McLaughlin/ Facebook crimes/ racism

Mar. 5 Jake McLaughlin: Today I was going through my writing notes. I then found a note of how I can kind of see the actor Jake McLaughlin in my The Vertex Fighter script. I had written about him before. You read the following and you can can see him in my script:

Jan. 9, 2011 blog post:

Jake McLaughlin: I found this actor today on The Mentalist. He plays this bad boy MMA fighter. I checked him out on imdb.com and he was a war veteran and served in Iraq for four years.

It's confirmed in the interview with him and Susan Sarandon on The View:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJVA1LwjFdI

Also on imdb.com, it says he worked as a security guard at Universal Studios before joining the army.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2474864/

He's also on the TV show Crash which is a spin-off from the Oscar winning movie. He's married and has two kids.

Me: I already saw him play a bad boy MMA fighter like my lead character Shawn. However, JM's character in The Mentalist episode "Blood Sport" was more of a jerk.

Facebook crimes: I got this article from Jay Smith through my blog. It's a really good infographic. At first some were funny about stupid criminals getting caught on Facebook, but then it started getting darker.

A light one at the top of the page is on Apr. 21, 2011. A 16 yr old male faces jail time for $247,000 worth of damage at a library. He talked about it on Facebook.

Andrew Dart on Jan. 25, 2011 is a sexual predator. He was communicating electronically with underage girls. 40 of his friends were girls under the age of 16.

Then Nona Belomosoff was found dead in a creek when she went camping with a stranger she met on Facebook who offered her a job.

At the bottom, it talked about people who were murdered after they posted online about their breakup and/or divorce on Facebook.

Mar. 9 Racism: More about racism. I got 2 flashbacks of white guys dissing my race back in jr. high school. I even got a flashback of 2009 where my white friend Justin told me about this Native guy dissing white people on the bus. I can list more. So basically all the races diss each other.

Primetime: Now I'm getting another flashback of the news magazine TV show Primetime. This was from like 2006? They put a "What Would You Do?" What if you were riding in a taxi, and the cab driver starts saying racist things? Do you join in because it's a one-on-one conversation?

This can get offensive here. There was one case I think it was a Latino woman. She dissed about Asian drivers. However, there was a white guy talking about how he would like to put Mexicans in some range and shoot at them. The host John Quinones confronts him about it.

That was so socially awkward and embarrassing than the one on The Jamie Kennedy Experiment. (You know where those 2 male judges diss Jamie's poor performance and Jamie heard all the mean comments?) On Primetime, the white guy said that it was a joke, and he didn't mean it.

There were some people who weren't racist. They showed one white guy in the back listening and he was kind of uncomfortable listening. There was also 2 teen girls sitting in the back. I think they may be black or Latino. The cab driver was talking, and the teen girls were texting each other back and forth about how rude the driver was.

Song: I was thinking about that song called "Ladies" by Sarai. It's a party song, but her best lyric in it is this: "Don't matter if you're black or white/ All shapes and size/ Spread love worldwide/ I mean, we're all the same color inside/ So why divide? There's no reason why."

I like "We're all the same color inside." Here's her video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljryaTP4YmA&ob=av2e

Mar. 12 Twilight: I finally read the book Twilight by Stephanie Meyer. I never seen the movies. I had the chance to watch the first one on TV, but I went and looked for a job instead. My sister bought the book and then gave it to me. I wanted to see what the hype is all about. I'm not really into reading novels because it's too long. I like to inform myself by reading newspaper and online articles.

I would say the book is average. It's about a girl named Bella who falls in love with the vampire Edward. Edward is very romantic and tells everything, his thoughts and feelings to Bella in the last half of the book. It would be a very unrealistic if he said everything in his mind in the beginning. But at least it's the last half.

The book is 498 pages. The parts I liked had the most suspense and tension. In the first half of the book, there was a real life situation where Bella is in danger. I really felt the fear. In the last half of the book, another supernatural situation arises. It was scary. She had to run and hide. It was an unpredictable ending.

It did have what most movies and TV shows do: Kidnap and threaten to hurt someone close to the lead character, so the lead character will come out and fight the antagonist.

I don't know, I feel like I'm too old for this. Though I would like to watch the movie so I can compare it to the novel. I'm not really attracted to Edward. He's romantic and sensitive. Maybe if I watch the movie, I'll fall in love.

Mar. 13 Blast from the past: Yesterday I went to a job training session. This young woman walks in, and I thought: "Mary-Ann from jr. high school?" During our break, I went to see the sign where we are to write our names. It was her. So I approached her and introduced myself. She remembers me and we chatted a bit.

She went to college for 2 yrs and didn't like this college program. She then went to another 1 yr college program and graduated out of it and has a position in her field. That's good. I went to her Halloween party in gr.9, bday party in gr. 9, and bday party in gr. 10. I did see her in 2003 when we went to this school to upgrade our marks. We chatted a bit. Now in 2012, I bump into her.

Then I thought: "Wasn't I Facebook friends with her earlier?" I then looked and I had sent a request.

New people: Afterwards I had to make a 10min walk to a bus stop to get home. This East Indian guy Kalit from the training session was walking to it too. We chatted a bit. He has a wife, 2 sons who are 7 and 5 yrs old. He takes English as a second language in school. There is kind of a language barrier because I have to get him to spell things out due to his accent.

He says he has family who's been in this country for 10 yrs. His kids like it here. I told him to go to career counseling and wished him luck in finding a career where he can use his education.

No comments: