Sunday, February 26, 2012

call back/ resume/ wealthy barmaid

Feb. 17: I don't know if you guys noticed, but two weeks ago, I sent 2 emails and it was both about my job search. It wasn't a variety of different topics. That TV production company idea with the Microbusiness Training Centre had some overlapping with my side project of The Vertex Fighter.

Call back: Today I took the advice from those job articles to call back after an interview. I called back that medical office on Wed. They took a message. I called them today, and the interviewer said: "I remember you. You're not the successful candidate. I already told you that I will only call the person who gets hired." She sounded a little annoyed.

Skills: My dad told me this months ago. If you get the basic computer skills, everything else will fall into place. I then kind of thought about that girl my friend Sherry told me about. The girl who can't read so it was hard for her to get a job. If she could get the basic reading skills, everything would fall into place for her.

Excel: I found this old piece of paper where I wrote:

1. Check Microsoft Excel books from the library.
2. Find really good ones, and then maybe buy one to study.

This was months ago, and I only read one Excel book.

MacEwan: I went to my MacEwan website about jobs. I just found job advice here:

http://www.macewan.ca/wcm/StudentServices/CareerServices/FindaJob/GettheJob/index.htm

Work: At work there is this kind of an awards event. I nominated my team. It took me about 10min to write it all down and submit it. Then I was told that you have to make this presentation like a video or a photo montage. I would then have to get my co-workers in on this and no one's interested. So I withdrew the nomination.

The award was a paid day off. It's like a lot of work to make a presentation, so I opted out. However, I was recognized for my hard work at my job.

Free Website Design: I found this website through my email. It says that web design and domain is free. Hosting is $12 a month. It's really for business. I have two blogs on the internet, and they're free. I'm promoting my script The Vertex Fighter and my writing.

http://www.freewebsitedesign.ca/

Feb. 21 Student jobs: Since Job Bank isn't working, I decided to check out other job sections like "part time, students" on Kijiji. It's mostly painting houses. Not all, but a lot. lol.

Feb. 22 Reject: I called back that company that I did an interview for last week. The one that was really close by. They called back and I got rejected. He said that he tried to email me, but he couldn't. That's weird, because I get companies rejecting me through email after I did an interview.

Wal-mart: For all you haters of Wal-mart, I read in the business section of the newspaper that the company isn't doing that well. They didn't hit the target goal for their quarter.

Productive: Today was my day off, but I was productive by looking for a job on the websites I don't usually go to on a daily basis. I looked into and applied to banks, hospitals, and schools.

Feb. 24 Sears: Sears is not going very well either. Their 4th quarter results were very low. I read an article I think in the National Post that said: "Sears has a Target on their back." The new department store Target is coming to Canada and taking over Zellers locations.

Business: I read in the business section of the newspaper that a lot of retail stores are closing because it's so hard to compete. I was at West Ed Mall earlier this month, and the Coles book store has closed down on Feb. 12.

Relieve stress: I've been really stressed out at work for the past couple of weeks. It's been really busy and we did get a few extra people from other departments to come and help. However, with the extra people we are still running around.

The important thing is, after work is over, it's done. I don't bring the stress home.

Left/ Right brain: That infographic has an effect on me. To relieve stress, my left- brain writes. It gets me to think and calms down. My right-brain listens to music and dances the stress off.

Same goes with writing topics: My left-brain writes one email about job search and business. My right-brain writes the comedy about all these jokes in one email.

Maybe it's the law of attraction, but I was listening to the radio and I heard a ATB commercial. It's about whole-brains work there.

Resume: I found this article on Yahoo called "4 Things You Didn't Know You Could Put on Your Resume." It's volunteer work, professionally relevant hobbies, non-professional experiences, and interests.

I know volunteer work is experience. Way back in 2003, my sister said this to me: "If you want to get a job, you got get experience. In order to get experience, you have to volunteer. Ask mom if you can volunteer at her work."

I did that, and then my sister helped create my resume with it. There are lots of charities that need volunteers so go there.

http://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/4-things-didn-t-know-194357514.html

Wealthy barmaid: My friend Sherry made a comment about that Yahoo article about that wealthy barmaid.

Sherry: so, if you were offered a writing scripts for 30k a year starting salary and chances to get a foot in the door in your field, would you take it?

Me: Yes, of course. A receptionist position that's $30,000 is good too. I read in the newspaper from the Canadian Writer's Guild, most novel writers only make $12,000 a yr.

Sherry: so you would accept an entry level position, as would i. she would not. therein lies a gap, huge and unrelenting

In the article, it's kind of unclear. The wealthy barmaid said she was willing to start at the bottom, but she wasn't hired because she was overqualified for having an MBA. Then she also said something along the lines of: "This waitress job can pay more than an entry level job."

http://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/wealthy-barmaid-s-rrsp-is-2-income-properties.html

Feb. 25 Job interview: The other day I went to a job interview for this optometrist clinic. I have been to that location before to do an interview for a medical office assistant position a couple of months ago. They called me that day and said if I could come that night.

Me: Can I come tomorrow?
Interviewer: No.

It was fast-paced. At the interview they said they will call the person who gets hired the next night. I think I met the interviewer before 2 months ago at that medical office assistant interview. The interview was mediocre. Right from the get-go, he asked why I applied when it seemed like I don't have experience.

I said I have education that's related to a receptionist position because of my writing and computer skills. There's some retail involved so I mentioned my retail experience.

Look, what happens after the interview was interesting. At the bus stop, I met this guy named Neil. I will tell you about him in the next email.

No comments: