Thursday, January 12, 2012

job search/ job interviews/ 2011 review

Jan. 9 Job search: I applied to Call Centre #4 again. Yeah, that's right. I have worked there for a day back in 2010, and then they dismissed me because 9 completed surveys isn't enough. When I get hired, I will strive to get way more than that.

Companies: Have you ever heard of SFZ telemarketing? I got a call from them months ago. It pays $11/hr and commission. It's night shifts as usual like call centres are. They said it closes down every couple of months because it's not busy.

It's in downtown, but since it's night shifts and it was going to take longer to get home. I need to be able to wake up early for my restaurant job. I also wanted something permanent, and they said it closes down every couple of months so I felt it was inconsistent. I guess I could work there, and keep getting laid off so I can get my EI money. That's only if I work some hundreds of hours so that's going to be awhile to qualify and collect EI.

Job interviews:

Phone interview: Today I did a 20 min. job interview over the phone. It's for a bank. I did a job interview for them last year and didn't get hired. This time, this is for another position which I think seems easier to get. However, at the end of the interview, he gave me the location. I looked it up and I have take 2 buses and an LRT to get there. It's for a bank, so it's worth it.

I thought the interview was average. I think I flopped on a question, but overall my work experience was relevant.

Dental assistant: I did a job interview to be a dental assistant. The Dentist was this white guy in his 40s. Kind of balding. He gave me a tour of his small office. He asked questions that I have never been asked before in an interview. I did an interview for a medical office assistant and at a chiropractic clinic, but this was different. He asked me if I took high school science. I took Biology.

He asked if I get queasy from the sight of blood and seeing needles put into people. I said no. He mentioned about having a family member who was a nurse and quit because it was hard to deal with the blood. I remember reading somewhere that medical school students who drop out not because it's hard, but because it's gross with the blood and guts.

The interview was okay. I will be trained with the computer program, and it's not very hard. It's the chair side work that will be a new challenge for me. The hours are full, and I can work there on the weekdays, and work at the restaurant on the weekends. I'm kind of interested in that I can work here and at the restaurant at the same time. The Dentist seems nice.

Bus: I'll have to take 2 buses to get there, but that's fine. Today I actually took the bus and then it turned into a different number. So then the bus driver stopped at this other bus stop, and I caught another bus to get there. I got there on time and that's good. It was also really windy and cold today.

Flashback: I did get a flashback of how I met this girl at Centre High. She was applying to get into NAIT's dental assistant program. It's a 1 yr course. She said to be a dentist, you would have to go to school for way longer.

Jan. 11 Crazy trip: It was crazy this morning. I have a job interview tomorrow. I have to take 2 buses and an LRT to get there. I have never been there before, it's an important interview, so since it's my day off, I'm going to utilize my time. I have done lots of interviews to places I have never been before, but I go to Google maps, I look it up and find it and am able to plan my trips and get there on time.

I'm nervous about this interview, so I thought I could calm myself down a bit if I go there once before, the day before. I took the bus, and I actually missed the stop. Fortunately, the driver stopped at another stop and directed me to the right direction. I only had to walk about 5 min to find the place. I found the place, so that's good.

But then I had to get home. I found one bus stop that said "Future service" so it's not really a bus stop yet. I found another stop for a bus # I didn't take. I saw another bus stop, I go there and it's for the same #. I did see a taxi go by at #2 bus stop. I was waiting #3 bus stop and I waved a taxi down. I asked to be taken to the LRT station.

I then paid $8 for a taxi ride. I went home. It took 2 and a half hours to go there and come back. The good thing is that I found the place, I'll keep more of an eye out for the bus stop I'm supposed to get off at. I was paying attention and looking for the building and the stores around it. I should be really paying attention to the street numbers. Then I noticed the street numbers were a bit ahead. I went home and planned my trip a little earlier so I could be on time. There are also some stores around the office so I could shop there before the interview.

If I had gotten off at the right bus stop, I wouldn't have taken that taxi. I would have been able to know which bus stop I'm supposed to go to get back to the LRT station.

Sales associate: I was wary of going to this interview this afternoon. I called to confirm is it just selling or is there a receptionist position? It's sales associate/ receptionist. If it was just sales associate, then I'm not interested.

The trip was kind of unpredictable. The bus came 5min. late, but then I was able to catch the 2nd bus to get there. I get there 30 min. early so I went and checked out a thrift store that's close by. It's also around the same neighborhood that I had been there on my "crazy trip" this morning.

The interview was okay. I have read 2 job interview books, and I felt this boss wasn't interviewing me with the right questions. I was the one who asked the questions like what are the shifts like, and what the duties are. I was the 5th person to be interviewed. He did say I was the first person to ask questions.

The pay is good, and there is commission. I can work here on the weekdays, and work at the restaurant on the weekends.

Question: Are you really interested in working as a dental assistant and sales associate/ receptionist? I would say I like them both for the pay, and that I also get to work at the restaurant on the weekends. The duties seem fine.

Productive: Today I spent hours on the bus, but I was productive as I was waiting for it, and riding on it. I was reading the newspaper and educating myself.

Saying: This happened last week, but I asked my sister this question when we were watching TV.

Me: Have you ever heard of the saying: "What gets measured, gets done"?
S: I think it's different.
She Googled it.
S: "What gets measured, gets managed."

I looked it up, and it seems we're both right. It's both from Peter Drucker. On this site, it says "done":

http://stephenjgill.typepad.com/performance_improvement_b/2010/02/what-gets-measured-gets-doneor-not.html

On this site, it says "managed":

http://www.sebastianmarshall.com/what-gets-measured-gets-managed

2011 review: I've been kind of procrastinating writing about this 2011 review. This morning, my sister did ask me how much money I made last year. I told her.

Me: This is pretty much the same amount I made back in 2009 when I was working at the Soup place full-time. This year, I've been working at the restaurant part-time, but I got a lot of tips so that's how I can make as much money as I did at the Soup place.
S: Have you thought of getting a 2nd job that's the same like what you do right now?

Me: Yeah, I applied to a call centre where I can work at night.
S: There must be something wrong with your resume if you don't get interviews.
Me: I pass out at least 100 resumes a month. I do get interviews. I've done like at least 50 interviews this year.
(Seriously. Some are short, preliminary interviews over the phone where they ask a few questions. So some of you may say that doesn't count and that a job interview is when you are in the office, talking face-to-face.)

S: Yeah, well then you're doing something wrong in the interviews.
Me: That's why I read 2 interview books.
S: You should go to a counselor and do a mock interview to see what you're doing wrong.
Me: I know there's one at the U of A.
S: You never went there. (As in attending the school.)

What I took from this is that I should go to one of my 2 colleges I attended, and talk to a counselor. I was thinking about that. I haven't done it because I was actively looking for a office job on the internet, and attending interviews.

4 comments:

Lpd said...

A list of the surges is launched for the jobs. The imparting of the knowledge is mentioned to click here to read more information for the jobs. The sufficient ambit is regulated for the sides and all perspectives for the customers.

mile said...

The web log and also their work that has been very well furnished with and the service that has been secure area unit too nice for all. more tips here they'll tell you concerning the service on your own essay writing.

mikon said...

An area of the tracy's blog has the special item for the people. You can visit this link and can find the previous posts which can help you in the better pattern. Just find the helpful zone here with the special treatment.

mikon said...

A blog of the Tracy is waiting for your time in this special zone. You can also get the special link with this helpful zone. You can find out here now and can enjoy the new pattern of your life. You can also enjoy the new session of the job here.