Wednesday, December 14, 2011

plain truth/ Polaris Project/ writer

Dec. 8 Plain truth: What I like about Tyra Banks is that she tells the plain truth and ask questions I want answered. Here's the part I found of that teen pregnancy episode. It's with the African- American girl Jessica who said she had two abortions and a miscarriage. Tyra pointed it out like she was buying lunch. It's not that Tyra was trying to be mean or snarky, but this was the plain truth. That's how Jessica sounded here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACqpKMxurDE&feature=related

Also when Tyra was interviewing the 14 yr old girl Sue- Ann. Tyra was asking her the questions about what her boyfriend does for a job if they are going to have a baby.

Sue- Ann: My boyfriend says if I have his baby, he's going to stick around.
The audience laughs.
Tyra: Does your boyfriend have a job?
Sue- Ann: He does lawn work.
The audience laughs again.

I know the audience isn't trying to be mean or snarky, but they just couldn't hold back their laughter at this stupidity and lack of logic. Teen pregnancy is nothing to laugh about. What we're laughing about is that they are all so delusional.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPAhO2LvUGg&feature=related

Tyra asked Katheryn who's 16 and got pregnant on purpose.

Tyra: You were looking for a guy to go out and have a baby with? Because you wanted to?
Katheryn: Yeah.
Tyra: You sound like a 38 yr old woman who feels the clock ticking.
The audience laughs. Yeah, Tyra seemed to be trying to be funny here, but it's true that's how Katheryn sounded.

Then Katheryn talks about how she thought she could get on welfare, and then you hear some of the audience members groan and say "Ohh."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSnUzWmo02c&feature=related

Dec. 11 Group Therapy: Remember a few weeks ago I sent this email/ blog post about the Globe and Mail advice column called "Group Therapy":

I read this question for next week: "My best friend was happily dating a man for several months until he dumped her via text message. She is now pregnant and wants to keep the baby, and not tell him about it. I tell her he has the right to know, and she refuses. How do I persuade her?"

I said the woman needs to tell her ex-boyfriend because he should know that he has a kid. He may not be there for her or the kid, but he should at least know about it.

My friend Sherry: i would want to know what the text message was first. i think the friend should ask why the mom doesn't want to tell him and get her talking.....maybe he turned out to be an ass somehow. like, maybe he 'found someone better' in which case he will not be trustable. or maybe it had not been as happy a relationship as the friend thought, like if he'd started hitting the woman and when she told him backoff or bugoff he tried to put a guilt trip on her and it failed. or maybe he told her he'd been fixed so he didn't need to wear protection. only she knows, till she talks

Actual advice: The main advice was published by Lynn Coady that the woman does need to tell her ex-boyfriend this. She also has to tell her kid what his or her dad is like. That you can't play "keep-away" from one of your parents who made half of you. The other people's advice was go to court with a mediator to plan custody or child support.

The Simpsons: A couple weeks ago, they aired an episode called "The Book Job." I liked it because it was about writing. Homer and Bart recruit others to create a hit tween literature book. They talked about how the vampire subject has been "suck dry." lol. They brainstorm what is a hit like the lead character is an orphan like Harry Potter.

I can throw in the lead Elena on The Vampire Diaries by L. J. Smith and Alex in the Alex Rider mystery series by Anthony Horowitz. Lisa Simpson is experiencing writer's block so she procrastinates. Later Lisa becomes the face of the author of Homer and Bart's team of writers. It was a creative and fun episode with a plot twist ending.

You can read more about the ep here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Book_Job

Polaris Project: I found this website months ago, but I'm telling you now. The Polaris Project combats human trafficking. On the site, it says they work with survivors, and the operate the National Human Trafficking Resource Centre:

We are not a government entity, law enforcement or an immigration authority.
Call us at: 1-888-3737-888

To report a tip;
To connect with anti-trafficking services in your area; or,
To request training and technical assistance, general information or specific anti-trafficking resources.

http://www.polarisproject.org/about-us/introduction

Dec. 12 Fun: Today I went to the bank and the young East Indian woman teller recognized me from the Soup place. She asked me where I worked at now, and I told her at another restaurant. I worked at the Soup place for 2 yrs (2008-2010), and haven't worked there since it closed down in 2010, and she still remembers me. lol.

Celeb dates: That news bit about that woman who dates guys to get a free meal has a real effect on me. I don't know what guys she has to go on a date with. By all means the guys could be boring, or jerks. Then I thought: "I can't really enjoy a lobster or steak dinner if I had to sit and talk to the following guys":

1. Aaron Carter: He his Backstreet Boy Nick Carter's little brother. I hate his music and his videos when he came out with them in the late 1990s and early 2000s. I remember Britney Spears saying: "If you don't like me, then don't look at me." So I don't look at AC. Though I have checked out the reality show House of Carters, where all 5 Carter siblings lived together. It was an okay show. I hate his music, but don't hate him as person because he seems okay on the TV show and interviews.

2. Joe Francis: The guy who created Girls Gone Wild. I've seen him on the Tyra Banks show. I don't like how he makes money off this young women who are drunk and flash themselves. However, he did say that there is 48 hr window where a young woman can say that she doesn't want to be in his videos.

3. Howie Day: He's a singer, and he's a total jerk. There was a news story back in 2004, and he admitted that it happened. It was a story of how he invited some girls to his tour bus for drinks. He followed one young woman to the back as she goes to the washroom. He made advances on her, and she said no. He then locked her in the bathroom and another young woman said she was going to call the police. HD broke her cell phone.

Fortunately, he was arrested for disorderly conduct and had to pay a $200 fine and written apology. You can read it here. Fortunately, there were other women there so there was safety in numbers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howie_Day#Legal_trouble

Writer: The writer/ blogger in me then thought: "This woman could start a food blog. She could write about the reviews of restaurants, the service, and the food." A few weeks ago, there was an ep on The Simpsons called "The Food Wife" where Marge, Bart and Lisa start a food blog.

Published: So I got my poem "Downtown Streets" published by the Poetry Institute of Canada. I got the letter back in Sept. and I forgot to send the author release form. I don't know, I put it away. I then found it a couple weeks ago in Dec., and sent it. It was too late, but I emailed them and they said they will publish it in next year's poetry anthology.

I think I didn't send the release form right away because I wasn't as excited about it getting published as my two short stories were. I then misplaced the letter. Look, the point is, it will get published later.

Lynn Coady: She's the author of the book The Antagonist. I've read good reviews about it in the newspaper. She's also the writer-in-residence at Grant MacEwan University. I sent her my Rain script and it took a few months, but she finally got back to me today. The comments in the script were some things about grammar, and how there should be character descriptions.

She did say the story unfolded fast and the character Rain was established well.

No comments: