Wednesday, November 16, 2011

college majors/ Elizabeth Gilbert/ The Listener

Nov 12. College majors: I got this on Yahoo "Study reveals 10 highest- and lowest-paying college majors." It's mainly engineering. The comments are interesting and funny.

O.o o.O: Are we suppose to read those tables with a magnifying glass?

Me: Yeah, I know. The graphs are so small.

Ray Ang: This is pretty nonsensical isn't it? It seems to imply that if you take engineering majors, you'll earn more, what rubbish. Supply & Demand, dumbos!

Adrian: What happened to going after your passion, not about how much money your degree could get you?

Me: I agree.

MichaelT: These studies are biased, they seem to indicate that the only reason to go to college is the amount of money you make, instead of the actual reason, to learn a skill, trade, and knowledge.

Me: I agree too. To make more money is one of the reasons, but it's about earning money through a career that you actually like.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/study-reveals-10-highest-lowest-paying-college-majors-171104823.html?fb_action_ids=10100112070017791&fb_action_types=news.reads&fb_source=home_multilinecode=AQB23IaTGaTmXKA1wP6MO9rYJi3L5v6fSYTW_qGd_ioJyetpuSpsTDuYMRELhhm1DZl5ksN0CFYkpebBjvihERztKgmAmPyMhmhvQb8WM4WEV9bdartZThPRF9ctej6scr_PKat-MCClUbpetA55pE-Qum9zoVfmJGwXuuOTQ5l8G17xdlWj-yy8mq_qqMLI2M#_=_

Rants: I got a lot of stuff. One, it's winter time and it's gotten cold. I'll give points that it didn't get really cold until mid. Nov.

Two, I got some rejects and disappointments like how a producer was supposed to call me in a period of these days, and he didn't call. That's okay, he can still email me. I applied at this bank and there were these interviews being held at that week. I didn't get a call. That's okay. I did get an email from the bank. I read it and it's really from a staffing agency. So it's not really from the bank anyway.

Three, the major one is that my sister is back from her vacation. She is ranting at me to do chores around the house. I do chores. Today I vacuumed because my dad told my brother and I to do it. P did downstairs, and I did upstairs. S then tells me to put away the dishes, and fold the laundry and put it away. It took a few min. to do each chore. Then S tells me to help her shovel the driveway and I did. I told her that she's grumpy from jet lag, but she lashes out at me.

Nov. 16: I'll throw this one in too. Today I was washing the dishes, and I put a pot on the rack to dry. It fell off, and it hit this ceramic pot and the spout broke. I apologized to my dad. He said it was expensive, but he didn't freak out. He is often calm. He said he got this 4 yrs ago, so at least he enjoyed it and used it often.

Elizabeth Gilbert: I got this through my blog, it's a TED talk from "Elizabeth Gilbert on creativity." She wrote Eat, Pray, Love. After it became this huge success, people came up to her and acted worried that she may not write another book that won't be a success. When she was a teenager, and said she wanted to be a writer, a lot of people worried that what if she didn't become a success and experienced a lot of rejection.

http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/en/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

Arts career fair: Today is my day off so I went to another career fair at the University of Alberta. This one is smaller, like 20 booths. It was more relevant to my job search than the last one with all the engineering firms,
and oil and gas companies. I'm going to have to read through the pamphlets.

Job interview: In the afternoon I went to a job interview. I took the bus to the same industrial neighborhood and it turns out I miss my stop by a few blocks. The driver then told me to take a bus back to get to the place. I didn't have to wait long, and I still got to my interview on time.

The interview was okay. There were 15 applicants. They asked about my buses to getting here, like is it a problem. They asked about my college education and how I don't have a writing job. I tell them because a lot of communications job are hiring people with 3 or 4 yrs of writing experience.

The Listener: I saw the season 2 finale at the end of Aug. and I haven't wrote about it until now. A few weeks ago I read in the Globe and Mail about Canadian shows getting international success. It was from there that I learned that The Listener is getting a 3rd season! It's coming out in Jan. 2012 for mid-season. I'm really happy about that. The show is about a paramedic who's telepathic and uses his skills to solve crime with the IIB.

The season 2 finale was called "Reckoning." The episode started with clips of the beginning of the season which is the first time they've done it. All the episodes are stand- alone and don't connect with each other. It starts off with a man, and a gun shot to the head. You think he's dead, but as Toby goes to treat him, the man grabs Toby.

Toby gets a flashback of the Man who shot himself in the head. Agent McCluskey and her ex-husband are to sign divorce papers. Good continuity because her ex-husband was in an earlier ep.

Back to the murder, and there were 3 suicides by former members of a biker gang. They mention Calgary, Canada, and RCMP. T's dr. friend Olivia tells T to stop using telepathy because it could hurt him.

T: I can't stop because it makes me who I am.
O: You use your gift to fill a void, and to not get close to people.

An Asian woman nurse named Theresa goes to gun shot victim in a coma. She pulls the oxygen tube to kill him. The comic relief comes when an old man comes into the hospital because "broke his ass."

McCluskey and T investigates the nurse, and she said "Something came over her." She had never thought of killing anyone before. T gets a flash of a young woman walking by Theresa when the tube was pulled.

Another biker named Jeremy is now married with 3 kids. All the ex-bikers were doing well and now commit suicide. The same young woman walks past Jeremy, and he then throws himself in front of a car. The Art Gallery Owner/ ex- biker Gassel sees that Jeremy's dead, and he walks back into his gallery.

McCluskey and IIB see hospital footage of the young woman named Elizabeth when the
nurse pull the oxygen tube. M interrogates E, but has to let E go. M doesn't like E. M tells T what happened and that Gassel may use E to exploit her. T follows E and they talk. Then T kisses E when just met each other. Then they have sex which is the first time they ever really showed sex on this show. T reads E's thoughts and expressed it by saying what E is thinking in unison.

It's to prove that T can is a telepath. It was done to T's friend Oz in the first season. T and E talk about being telepaths. This reveals character when T gets a flash and E's parents and brother were murdered in front of E. E exacts revenge on the ex-bikers by having them commit suicide.

M does research and E's real name is Emily Matlin. E got shot in the head and was in a coma for months and didn't talk. She made a miraculous recovery and that was how she got her power. The murders were pinned on the bikers.

E goes to Art Gallery to see Gassel and confronts him with her family pictures. M and T go to art gallery. Gassel then shoots E in the chest.

Me: Oh my God!
T runs over to E and starts doing CPR on her.
M points gun at Gassel.
M: Get down!

The above was all music, and no dialogue. It was very powerful. M arrests Gassel. E dies. There was justice. They killed E who is a killer, and arrest Gassel.

The ep ends with the ambulance and cops. M meets her ex-husband at the bar and M bought 2 tickets and they will go on vacation together. T thinks about using his power.

T (voice over): How can I turn my back on them?

5 comments:

Moji said...

There are the different colleges in this area with the help of which you can find the previous posts. Just see the link of http://www.summarizemypaper.com/how-would-you-summarize-my-text/ and get the best components of the love here to find the new location and the other posts.

Noon said...

To major in a subject is not difficult but to adopt what you have read is important and from this point of view, that is a great post for all of us because e are all doing thsi to become someone in our society.

Changar said...

Major students have been providing all the themes for the future plans. The visitors of the http://www.qualitativeresearchcritique.com/about-article-critique-writing/ have been inducted for the use of the transfer of the moves for all available contents of the apparent items for the humans.

Gary P Henderson said...

To help important within a theme seriously isn't complicated although to take on whatever you include understand is significant in addition to with this mindset,visit the site it really is a good write-up for everyone mainly because age are extremely accomplishing this to be another person in this contemporary society.

Christopher Blevins said...

To help you critical in a design is not really intricate though to fight whatever you decide and incorporate recognize can be important besides using this type of state of mind, http://www.socialworkpersonalstatement.net/personal-statement-for-social-work-degree/ it happens to be a fantastic write-up for anyone since get older can be extremely attaining this specific to get somebody else within this fashionable modern society.