Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Occupy Wall Street/ Europe economy/ Spooktree Films

Oct. 24 Occupy Wall Street: I was reading in the Globe and Mail about the people protesting on Wall Street. 15% are unemployed and 18% are underemployed. So there are people that don't have jobs to go to. I don't protest things because I just don't like standing around with signs. I'll complain on my blog.

My sister was dissing them when we were talking about it at dinner. There is no clear agenda to what they want to achieve. They want jobs, and hate corporations. Everything they own come from corporations from clothes to food. There's no focus. I remember watching 20/20 about PETA and people splashing red paint (like blood) on this department store for selling fur. I don't care about PETA, but at least there was a clear goal and message.

Take Down Entertainment: I found this on my TV production search. It's about promoting mix martial arts (MMA). Check it out:

http://www.takedownentertainment.com/

Ghostwriter: Does anyone remember this TV show from early 1990s on PBS? It's about a group of kids who solve neighborhood mysteries with an invisible ghost who can only communicate by reading and writing. I was on twop.com and there's an article about it:

http://www.televisionwithoutpity.com/brilliantbutcancelled/2011/10/ghostwriter-pbs-tv-show-the-worlds-most-wholesome-supernatural-series.php

The first season is on DVD on Amazon. I'm not going to buy it, but I just want to say I really like the show. According to PBS, the show ended after the 3rd season due to lack of funding. Damn.

Oct. 25 Prostitution: I was channel surfing to see what's on TV tonight, and I saw a bit of Dr. Drew's Life Changers. It's a 30min talk show and he was interviewing a woman who was a teen prostitute. I sat for 5min. and it was really intense. She talked about being drugged and raped, and left by a dumpster in an alley. She wakes up in hospital.

She was on drugs, and went to jail before. What keeps her going is her nieces. What's interesting was that she and other addicts have talked about how ironically drugs are what kept them from committing suicide.

However, I can't watch this show because it's too much like Dr. Phil.

Job: I guess I would fit into the Occupy Wall Street protestors demographic. I'm underemployed. I work part-time like 24hrs a week. I work 6 days a week, and get paid a bit more than min. wage per hour. I have a lot of free time, but that time is not used for fun. It's mainly filled with unpaid work.

Schedule: My schedule is this. I wake up at around 6am and leave by 6:50am. I take the bus, and the hr I'm on the bus, I'm reading the 24 newspaper. I work from 8am-12pm. I take another hr bus ride home, reading the newspaper and doing the crossword puzzle.

I get home around 1pm, do my job search on the computer for 2 hrs. I listen to music on Youtube as I'm applying to places. Throw in a little dancing as my break. At 3pm, I turn off the computer, and read my newspapers for an hr. Turn the computer back on at 4pm and usually do some more job search, and then pitch my script. I write some of my weekly emails/ blog posts here.

By 6pm, it's time for dinner. I sometimes do the dishes. Most nights, I'd be watching TV. Watching TV and dancing is my fun. I hardly ever use the internet for fun.

Europe economy: I was reading in the Edmonton Journal business section with the headline: "Europe's youth stuck in junk jobs." It's about young professionals only getting temporary contracts because that's what's available. Those jobs don't have job security or benefits.

One woman named Silvia is 24 yrs old and has a master's degree in publicity. She is paid about $420 Cdn a month for the same work as the salaried permanent employees who are in the same company.

Juan Francisco Seller is 27 and has a pharmaceutical degree. He has been working at a hospital for a year for free, doing research for a lab team. He is waiting for a "real" job to come from it. He has turned down paid work outside of his field to keep his resume professional.

I thought that was stupid of him. He should do another job outside of his field to get paid, even if it's a waiter. He can volunteer at the hospital lab on the weekends.

Vision board: Last week I wrote about the Happy Endings sitcom that talked about vision boards. Today in the Globe and Mail Life section, Angela Self wrote about Pinterest.com.

It's where you create online vision boards based on personal or financial interests. There are cost saving ideas. It's a really fun website to check out.

Here's the humor section. There are lots of funny and quirky pictures and sayings:

http://pinterest.com/all/?category=humor

Spooktree Films: I was pitching my script and I found this production company called Spooktree Films. I saw the trailer to Whisper Creek. It's a really good sci-fi/ action story. It takes place at a mental hospital and Jimmy is a patient who doesn't talk. A woman comes to visit him and then transmits a power to him.

Later that night Jimmy starts talking and he gets into a fight and escapes from the hospital. There was good suspense, tension, and mystery involved. Check it out:

http://www.spooktree.com/

Mike Miller: I also found this 5min short film while pitching my script. It's called Oops. It's about CIA operatives tracking down a terrorist for 6 months. There's going to be a review soon, and if they don't show any progress, they will lose funding and their jobs. They decided to doctor pictures that they found the terrorist in these cities. However, the plan kind of goes sideways.

I really liked it and was impressed with it. It could be used as the first five minutes of a feature length film, and the lie gets bigger and bigger. Check it out, it's only 5min:

http://writer-director.com/

Oct. 26 June short film: I was looking for more production companies and I found one called nine40. Here's the short film June. I watched the 2min, 50 sec clip. It was shot so beautifully as a guy tells a story of how he fell in love with a girl.

It starred Kerry James (Caleb from Heartland) as a cowboy. Not too much of a stretch for him. I really liked it, check it out:

http://vimeo.com/channels/nine40

Script pitch: Today was my day off and it was very productive. I looked for a job and I pitched my script. A producer emailed and called me today saying that he wants to read it. So I sent it to him.

Pitching my script is what drives me. When someone shows some interest in my script, I get excited and this rush comes. It's like I'm making progress.

Museums: I got this flier a couple of weeks ago. There's a website called www.museumsofcanada.ca and it sells lots of really nice stuff like clothes, jewelery, stationary, and furniture. Check it out for your Christmas shopping.

Windy wedding: I found this on Yahoo. It's from Good Morning America. There is a wedding held outside, and there's a dust storm. It's windy, and then there's this sand and dirt blowing around, the screen turns brown.

After they said "I do", they kiss, and hug. The groom then gives a thumb signal for them to get out of the storm. They're given an umbrella, but the umbrella is blown up and wrecked. lol.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/video/us-22424932/gma-play-of-the-day-windy-wedding-27057771.html

Switched at birth: There are these two 12 yr old girls who were switched at birth. They were born on the same day, and the name tags of the babies were switched. It was found out when one dads wanted a paternity test because the daughter didn't look anything like him.

One of the mother-in-laws remembered that another woman was going into labor the same day. Both girls stay with their non-biological families and the families are close.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/video/world-22186928/switched-at-birth-two-families-meet-27052620.html

No comments: