Saturday, October 29, 2011

funny pic/ Wordle/ safety

Oct. 26 Funny picture: Here's the fun email of the week. I submitted my 79 headlines and pictures to Jay Leno today. I have a picture from the Globe and Mail on Sept. 17,2011. The picture is of a young woman talking to people in an office, and an overweight man in a Superman outfit is standing beside her.

You're like: "What?" The caption says: "Charmaine Borg, 20, centre, spent the summer introducing herself to her constituents in Terrebonne-Blainville." There is no mention of the guy in the Superman suit. I remember reading a letter a few days later with someone asking who that was. lol.

Nice: Yesterday I asked my sister if I could buy a manila envelope from her so I could send in the headlines, she gave me the envelope free of charge. So that was nice.

Ebay: I was watching Jay Leno's segment "Stuff we found on Ebay." The audience guess if it's sold or not sold. There is a pencil drawing of Justin Beiber by a prison inmate. I thought the art was really good because it really looked like JB. I thought "Sold" because it's good and could be considered "outsider art" because an inmate did it. It was not sold.

There was "Skype date with hot woman." She won't show her body, it will be good conversation. The starting bid was 99 cents. Men say: "Sold." Woman say: "Not sold." It was sold for $490. Damn, that's good. I guess there are a lot of lonely people, and they just want to connect with someone.

News: Jay Leno cracked a joke about this in the news.

JL: Men are more likely to say "I love you" first. But they don't mean it!
lol.

Jokes:

JL: NBC cancelled Charlie's Angels. They cancelled it when they realized it was still on.
Audience laughs.
JL: They could bring it back and call it So You Think You Can Act.

Laughing about death: I was watching Desperate Housewives, and Susan is in art class. She tells this Asian woman next to her that she uses the pain from her 9 yr old son leaving for school, without giving her a hug or a kiss.

Asian woman: I'm using my pain from my dad's suicide.
Then in class they're supposed to sketch this naked man, but Susan can't stop giggling.
S (to woman): Quick, tell me about your dad's suicide.

Question: I was reading Seventeen magazine and they asked the question: "Would you take $1000 or go on a date with Justin Beiber?" 75% said they would take the $1000. One girl said: "$1000 would last longer, than one night with someone."

You put any celebrity you want to meet, and my friend Angela said: "$1000, because most celebrities are stupid." I posed the question to my sister, but with Jon Hamm (Mad Men) and she would pick him over the money.

I read about happiness articles in the Globe and Mail Life section, and they say go with the experiences to make you happy. I would probably go on a date with the actor David Anders (Vampire Diaries) over $1000. I can get money, but meeting a celebrity doesn't happen to me very often.

I have met the British boy band Blue back in 2002, and got to hug my favorite member Lee Ryan. I met the singer/ actor Kyle Riabko twice. When I met them, I was very happy. I have fond memories.

Game: My friend Heather put this on her Facebook wall. There's this crossword puzzle. The first 4 words you see in the jumble, describes you. I got: passion, outgoing, impatient, loyal.

Wordle: I found this website called: http://www.wordle.net/

I get Alberta Job Centre newsletters and it lead me to this article about it: "Wordle is a toy for generating “word clouds” from text that you provide. The clouds give greater prominence to words that appear more frequently in the source text."

It's like art and words put together. I've seen it before, but I didn't know it was called Wordle. Check it out:

http://www.albertajobcentre.ca/content/index.cfm?objectid=2221E86B-2219-80B4-5383694FAC6CE51D&utm_source=Albertajobcentre.ca&utm_campaign=89f97517fc-AB_Career_Oct_20_201110_20_2011&utm_medium=email

Oct. 28 Daily silly: I got this through Daily silly. Here's a death joke:

"A man placed some flowers on the grave of his dearly departed mother and started back toward his car when his attention was diverted to another man kneeling at a grave. The man seemed to be praying with profound intensity and kept repeating, "Why did you have to die? Why did you have to die?" The first man approached him and said, "Sir, I don’t wish to interfere with your private grief, but this demonstration of pain is more than I’ve ever seen before. For whom do you mourn so deeply? A child? A parent?" The mourner took a moment to collect himself, then replied, "My wife’s first husband."

Hotel interviews: Today I did two job interviews at two different hotels. They're similar because they use the same computer program, and the shifts are from 7am-3pm or 3pm-11pm.

The first interview was in the morning. I got there and filled out an application. The interview was okay. There are 8 applicants for 1 position. He said there was low turnover and there are only certain days that are really busy. I think they're looking for someone with open availability. They had 3 people who are in school, and they have set shifts that others work around it.

I don't want to work at night. It would be a 15min bus ride from my work to get there. It seems like a lot of effort to get there, and they really want you to work at night. I sometimes work at night, but I leave at 9pm and I like the bus station that's well- lit.

The second interview was okay. They either hire one full-time person or a few part-time people, like most jobs do. I would rather work here because it's easier to get to, and no night shifts.

Rant: This is a mild rant. There's another busser who works here, and he gets full-time hours. That's because he works night shifts, and 3 day shifts a week. I don't resent him or the boss, but I want more hours. Whenever another department needs me, I work there. I did 2 split shifts this month.

Another mild rant is that I was going through my notes, and it turns out I turned down a production company. I never turn them down. But then I checked my email, it's a production company asking to read a 1 page synopsis, and not the whole script. So I didn't really turn them down.

Oct. 29 Safety: I was reading in the Globe and Mail Life section. David McRaney wrote a book called You Are Not So Smart about self- delusions. There's a thing called "normalcy bias" about how people don't rush to save their own lives. People stand around die as their ship sinks or a building is on fire.

DM: When it comes to something scary, or dangerous, or life-threatening, the first thing we want to believe is that things are not dangerous or scary. We really try to convince ourselves that everything is okay. You hear an explosion in your building- you don't immediately jump up and go "Get the hell of here!" No one does that unless they've been trained, which is why it's important to take the drill seriously. They teach you to get pass the normalcy bias.

No comments: