Thursday, September 22, 2011

school joke/ headlines/ career fair

Sept. 17 School joke: I was thinking about "skills decline" and how you don't study, you don't remember. In 2007, I was in Eng. 101 college class and the teacher asked a question.

Scott: Does anyone know who Louis Riel is?
The class is silent.
Scott: I'm sure all of you learned about him in Social Studies.
Me: Yeah, well it was a long time ago.

The entire class laughs at me.
Scott kind of laughs too, but he looks like he was trying to not laugh.
Girl: Uh, didn't he help the Metis start a rebellion?
Scott: Yes.

I didn't know why the class laughed at me at first, because I told the truth. I learned about him in Social studies, but I forgot, and so did the class. They laughed at me because they expected an answer, not an excuse to why I didn't know the answer.

They probably thought I was joking, because they didn't see my face. Scott saw my face, and he knew I was serious so that's why he looked like he was trying to hold back his laughter. I wasn't embarrassed. I only said that because no one knew the answer, so the teacher might as well tell us.

Sept. 18 Joke: Earlier this week, I asked my brother a question.

Me: Oh what? No work today?
P: No.
Me: "Oh what Cartman? No smart ass comment from you?" "No, sir."
P: Where's that from?
Me: Ritalin.

It's the South Park episode where the whole class gets diagnosed with ADD and takes Ritalin and they're all well- behaved. Mr. Garrison was the one who asks Cartman that question. lol.

Sept. 19 Headlines:

Here's one: "Witnesses differ on whether butt end was intended." The headline was funny, but the article wasn't. It was about a hockey injury.

These are from the Edmonton Journal's Sunday Reader:

"One less Boob": According to the New York Post, in central Pennsylvania, a man named Samuel Boob was killed by a shot gun. The suspect is Kermit Butts. Miranda Boob (victim's wife) is also charged. There is a 3rd suspect but his name "is not funny enough to mention."

"Driver gets ditched": According to Newsday, 51 yr old Robert Craig fell out of his car on Interstate 95 in Conneticut. The car went without him for a 3rd of a km before crashing into a pole. Other motorists saw him and helped him and he had minor injuries.

Election: According to the Seattle Post Intelligencer, in Peru, these grave robbers dug up a mayor's dead father's skull and won't give it back unless the mayor quits the election.

They sent a text message to Mayor Rogelio Vizcarra telling him they will give back his father's skull, if he quits the re-election. Vizcarra will keep running.

"Purse snatcher run down by 90 year old": Josefine Haas is 84 yr old and Otto Haas is 2 months shy of 90. This is in Vancouver. The thief stole the purse and Otto chased after him up 3 flights of stairs. The door was locked and the thief was trapped and Otto cornered him. 3 min. later the police arrived and arrested Allen James Barkley, 28.

Otto: I'm surprised I could run that fast.

Stupid criminals: This is from the Globe and Mail. "Teen accidentally texts sheriff to buy pot." In Helena, Montana, a teen hit a wrong number and sent the text message looking for pot to the County Sheriff Leo Dutton. The text: "Hey Dawg, do you have $20 I can buy right now?" Dutton responded to the text, and a detective pretending to be the dealer set up the meeting.

The detective saw two teen boys and a man at the store. The detective called the number to make sure he got the right person. The man in the group was the father and didn't know what was going on.

"You must say this": Also from the same newspaper, a New York English professor Lynn Rosenthal who's in her 60s got kicked out of a Starbucks by 3 police officers. She argued with the barista because she refued to specify what she wanted on her multi-grain bagel.

Rosenthal: I refused to say 'without butter or cheese.' When you go to Burger King, you don't have to list the six things you don't want."

This is form the United Press International. I don't know why she couldn't simply say it or the barista could simply give her the bagel.

"You can't say that": According to the Sacremento Bee, this mall wanted this rule where they ban strangers from talking about subjects other than the mall while inside the mall. The California appeals court struck down that law. That was a stupid rule that you have to talk about the mall.

"Athlete blames cat over drunk- driving charge": British cricket star Graeme Swann was caught drinking and driving. He blamed his cat because he had to buy screw drivers to rescue his trapped cat. He was out with friends and then came home and the cat was in the floorboards of his home.

"Comic character sparks Gallic outcry": There's a new Mcdonald's restaurant ad that has the comic character Asterix eating a burger and fries. The French comic fans see it as an insult to their heritage.

"Skateboarding priest becomes Youtube hit": A Hungarian Roman Catholic priest named Reverent Zoltan Lendvia is 45. He lives in Redics, a small village on Hungary's border with Slovenia. He believes skateboarding can open the way to God for young people.

Sept. 20 Publishing: I had my short story "TJ's Story" published by the Poetry Institute of Canada last year. It was printed in an anthology called Lamplight Tales. This year I submitted a short story to them called "Purse" and they rejected it. I then submitted another short story to them called "Chase." Maybe they'll print this one.

I went to their website and it said they rejected 40% of all submissions. I only wrote short stories for school from 2005-2008. After I graduated out of college I submitted to some publications. Mainly I've been trying to get my The Vertex Fighter script produced because that's what I really want.

Sept. 21 Career fair: Yesterday my friend Michelle emailed me that there's going to be a career fair at the Butterdome at the University of Alberta. I've been there once with my friend Leslie way back in 2002 when there was a open house. I bumped into Dan L. there at that time.

This year I went by myself. My brother had been to one of the career fairs before. There were a lot of freebies like pens, highlighters, magnets, notepads, cookies and candy, key chains, etc. I didn't take any of that because I have lot of that at home and I wasn't hungry. I went there for an 1hr and a half. I never even looked at my watch until 1 hr in.

I entered in some draws to win ipads and gift certificates. I did bump into an HR person who hired at me my restaurant. I also saw the HR woman at that information session I went to yesterday. I picked up a lot of brochures and pamphlets to research.

There were a lot of gas, oil, forestry, energy, and financial companies. I can see all the oil companies because it's Alberta. There were a couple of staffing agencies and a few retail positions. I went through all the booths and it seems they're looking for engineering and science students to hire. There were some school booths for other post- secondary institutions.

Sept. 22 Call backs: I got a call back the next day from the credit union and I got rejected. No surprise, there was a lot of competition. I didn't get a call back from the place where I did the math test with the question: "6- -3".

I got a call today from this storage company. It pays well to be an office worker $14.50/hr for 3 days a week. About 23 hrs a week. But then she mentioned that they need someone with more flexibility because a manager may be away, and then they need the office assistant to take those shifts.

I did an interview in this kind of industrial area, and there were 45 applicants for 1 position. I was to get a call back by Tues. and they didn't call. The trip there was interesting because the bus driver was nice to me in helping me find the place.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Once you've gotten the job, there's nothing to it. If you're an actor, you're an actor. Doing it is not the hard part. The hard part is getting to do it. This is definitely a nice post. Great works. Thanks for sharing with all of us.Keep posting more.
It really helps me. I'll follow you regularly. Thanks
If anyone is Looking for a international Jobs specially Nigerian citizens must check this site Oil and Gas HR opportunity

Anonymous said...

Once you've gotten the job, there's nothing to it. If you're an actor, you're an actor. Doing it is not the hard part. The hard part is getting to do it. This is definitely a nice post. Great works. Thanks for sharing with all of us.Keep posting more.
It really helps me. I'll follow you regularly. Thanks
If anyone is Looking for a international Jobs specially Nigerian citizens must check this site Oil and Gas HR opportunity

Anonymous said...

Once you've gotten the job, there's nothing to it. If you're an actor, you're an actor. Doing it is not the hard part. The hard part is getting to do it. This is definitely a nice post. Great works. Thanks for sharing with all of us.Keep posting more.
It really helps me. I'll follow you regularly. Thanks
If anyone is Looking for a international Jobs specially Nigerian citizens must check this site Oil and Gas HR opportunity