Sunday, July 3, 2011

fun/ friends/ chain reaction

June 29 Fun: Today I went to a job interview today and it was okay. I was told there were 30 applicants.

The fun part was that afterwards, I went to this place called Ascendant Books. It sells books, stones, jewelery, incense, magnets, cds, and home decor. It's kind of like a New Age store but it kind of reminds me of Carlton Cards. Both stores sell stuffed animals, cards, and gifts. You should check it out. Here's their website:

http://www.ascendantbooks.com/books.html

Psychic: In the back of the store, I met Barb Cote who is a spiritual advisor. I got good vibes from her.

Me: When are you here?
BC: Wed. and Sun.
Me: Do you go to the Russian Tea Room?
BC: No, most of them are fortune tellers, and I'm a spiritual advisor.

She was sitting at this small table and had two decks of fortune telling cards. If I remember reading her rates, it's $40 for a 30min. reading.

Here's her website. There is a section of her favorite quotes, sketches, blog, etc.

http://www.barbcote.com/

Writing: Today I finally got an email from the Writer in Residence Marty Chan. He has read another 10 pages to my Rain script that I sent him 2 months ago. He pointed out my inconsistencies to my characters, and it was helpful. I then rewrote in a way to add more tension and drama.

June 30 Dream: I had this dream last night where I was in/ watching Channing Tatum in this movie. CT plays a mythological hero in present time. Then it reminded me of these comparisons.

Comparisons: This is a more "fish out of water" take on stories. One can be realistic like The OC about a poor young man from the ghetto moves into the wealthy neighborhood of Orange County. Or a supernatural take on it.

Regular guy in mythological world: There's Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightening Thief." I didn't even think about that movie when I had that dream. I remember reading a review in See or Vue magazine (paraphrase): "Percy has dyslexia and ADHD. It turns out he's a descendant of a Greek God and he's really supposed to be able to read Greek letters and he doesn't really have ADHD, he just can't sit still because it's in his DNA to go and fight. Only an American movie can make learning disabilities into a good thing." Interesting note.

Mythological hero in our world: Then there's Thor, where a warrior from a different world has to live with humans.

Hackers: My friend Sherry emailed me saying there's a hacker movie called Swordfish. I forgot about that. I told Marty Chan about hackers, and he said: "...be careful of going down the road of the Stieg Larsson road (ie. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo). You don’t want to copy the hacker character from that novel series."

Damn it. That's the thing: I watch TV and then I say: "Oh that's been done before on this show." Now I'm seeing things in my dreams, and people are pointing things out. Even when I write something, afterwards I will read it and be like: "Hey, this has been done before."

The old guy/ mentor dies: I was writing where this happens, and then I was like: "This happened in a Jet Li movie and a Chow Yun Fat movie." I won't tell you which ones, unless you want to know. If you don't want to be spoiled skip the next line and go to the next topic.

Jet Li's Kiss of the Dragon, and Chow Yun Fat's Bulletproof Monk.

Jul. 1 Friends: I was talking to my friend and how I could have prevented her from dropping out of high school. It wasn't until this yr I imagined: "What if every morning before school starts, I walk to her house and go to her room and say: 'Get out of bed and go to school!'"

She would then say: "Tracy, get out of my room." lol. I thought about it some more, and: "Who would even let me into the house?" No one would open the door. I could bang and ring the doorbell for 10min. until 8:10 am before I had to stop and start walking to school to be on time. My friend would either sleep right through my noise, and/ or ignore it, knowing that I would stop by 8:10am. I could do this for a few months, and she wouldn't answer the door and go to school.

I guess I'm writing this is that, it eases my guilt. I wouldn't have helped her graduate out of school by helping with her homework, because I'm not good in school. But what if I forced her to go to school everyday, would she have graduated? She told me she wouldn't answer the door if I did that, so things are out of my control. Sometimes you can't help people.

Saying: Here's a saying I created: "There's a difference between being optimistic and delusional."

This was based from my high school experience. Gr. 10 was the easiest year for me. I was in the low classes and didn't have to work hard, study, or really pay attention in class and I passed. The expectations were low. Then in gr. 11, it was harder. English and Social were easy, but Applied Math 20 and Science 10 was really hard for me. I thought I could probably do the exact same thing last yr and not work hard, and still pass.

I was delusional. I had to work extremely hard, study, pay attention in class, and have my sister tutor me for hours to pass. I didn't work because I was stupid and lazy. I also felt: "What's the point? I work hard, and I barely pass or even fail. Why bother trying?" But I worked hard and it paid off since I passed my classes. I didn't think it was possible.

Dad's saying: My dad said this: "Once you get an office job, you will be able to get enough money to live on your own. You will be able to support yourself by paying rent and groceries. Everything else will fall into place."

I would say, once I passed gr. 11 math and science classes, everything else fell into place. Gr. 11 was the most depressing time of my life. After I passed the classes, there were a lot of obstacles in my life, but I did overcome it. I graduated out of high school within the 3 yrs though I failed Bio 30. I had to spend an extra year to upgrade my marks before I could even apply to college, but I did end up going to college. Though NAIT didn't work out and I didn't graduate after that 1 yr.

Chain reaction: On Criminal Minds: Suspect Behavior, there was a line: "These little ripples become waves." Imagine my school situation like knocking over dominoes which is a chain reaction.

However, falling dominoes is a lot faster. In my case, it's more like knock one domino of passing gr. 11. Then it stops. Graduate out of gr. 12. Knock one domino. Yeah, it's much slower. I can only knock one domino at one time. I have a picture in my room that I got from a University of Alberta open house. It's a picture of dominoes and it says: "To begin, begin."

Disability: I got this flashback of Jerry Springer way back in like 1994. It wasn't as trashy back then. It was about a woman who didn't have any arms or legs, they were stubs. She had a baby and raises it as her own. The baby had all his limbs, fingers, and toes. They showed footage of her feeding and playing with the baby with her stubs of her arms.

The show was trashy as she, her husband, and her family all argue with one another about how her husband's ex-gf is sending naked pictures of herself to him. However, there was no physical fighting that security guards need to break it up like in the newer episodes.

No comments: