Friday, May 6, 2011

school/ Osama bin Laden/ analyze

May 4 School: My little brother took an online course to help get a career. He studied for a few months and did a test. He got 89% and I congratulated him. A month or so earlier:

Me: You can only take this test twice in one year. You should take the test once in June, and if you don't pass, you can take it again in December.
My sister was there.
S: Tracy, you are the last person to be giving school advice.

Yes, because of my mediocre grades. But is there anyone here who thinks the above advice is bad? Well my brother thanked me. He took the test last month, so he can't take it in June.

It's not like that time on The Simpsons. Cut to Lisa doing her homework in her room and Homer is standing at the door.

Homer: Lisa, honey, do you need some help with your homework?
Lisa: Yeah, sure. You can help me find three words where they use the letter y as a vowel.
Homer slowly backs out of the room.

Me: Gym. That's a word where they use the letter y as a vowel.

Bad advice: I was thinking about bad advice. My friend Sherry had asked me this in 2009: "What kind of job could a girl get if she can't read?" I thought about it and wrote in an email: "I don't know. She can work as a stripper. She can make a lot of money and she doesn't have to read. I'm sure all of you guys are laughing at me right now." My friend Ray said she did laugh at that.

I personally didn't give that advice to anyone. I was tossing out my idea for a job where you don't have to read.

Question: Work was pretty boring so I asked my two co-workers this question: "Which would you prefer? Your daughter being 16 and pregnant or your daughter being a stripper at 18?" They preferred stripping like my friend Jessica and I. Only my friend Sherry said having a baby. My friend Ray said having a baby, but that was compared objectively about girls on Maury and not about your own daughter. They're either out-of- control teen girls who want to be strippers or have a baby.

Funny performance: This was way back in Sept. 2010, but I really liked it. It's where Justin Timberlake was on the Jimmy Fallon show. They are singing and dancing to a medley of rap and hip hop songs. It was very good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCxZB6GOtoM

Saturday Night Live: That kind of reminds me of when Amy Poehler (SNL alumni) came to host SNL. The sketch was a dream sequence where Timberlake was on and he kisses AP for a second. He then says she's a bad kisser. lol.

May 5: Also in the same episode, there was a sketch about this Republican commercial. There would be gay weddings and a mosque on Ground Zero and a pregnancy termination lounge. The end line was: "It could happen to you."

Election: I voted earlier this week. I remember watching 20/20 about the government doesn't run the entire country. Sometimes the country does "spontaneous organization" and take care of things themselves. You know like more money is needed for public schools so instead of the school asking the govt. for money, they hold a fundraiser.

Osama bin Laden: I was going to watch The Simpsons on Fox on Sun., but instead it was preempted by FOX news that bin Laden has been killed. I call to my brother and he tells me to go to CNN. We watch for about 10min. I looked around for The Simpsons. I was mainly waiting for Barack Obama to come on and he came at 9:30pm. The news reporters kept repeating the same thing so I might as well watch something else.

I was surprised when I saw that Osama may have been killed. I couldn't really believe it. It took them 10 years to find him and kill him. I felt this cautious optimism. I feel like the President is going to come and say: "Oh, we don't have him." Psych! When it was confirmed he was dead, I was still in disbelief. I have to see the body and pictures to make sure he is dead.

I then went on Facebook, and the actor Giles Panton had this Martin Luther King Jr. quote about how we're celebrating a hated person's death. I read in the 24 news today, Fallout Boy lead singer Patrick Stump was surprised people were celebrating bin Laden's death.
I never thought about celebrating a hated person's death.

I felt if bin Laden is dead, then that's a relief. However, it's not the end of terrorism. There's still going to be terrorists and probably a new leader to take over. Once again cautious optimism. At least they took out one of the biggest threats and terrorist there is.

Barack Obama: I was watching Barack and Michelle Obama on Oprah this week. It was a fun episode. BO talked about how all the political issues were overshadowed by people thinking that he's not born in the US. So he finally got the birth certificate released, and then everybody can focus on the important issues at hand.

Rape: Today I was reading in the 24 news about how 3 women in the ages of 18-22 were raped by this one guy. The women saw a job ad online and in the newspaper for an administrative assistant position. They each did an interview a business, and then were taken to the home office and was assaulted there.

That is scary. I go on the internet and newspapers to look for an admin assistant position. I never thought I would be in danger. I'm always alert when I meet people on the internet. The job interviews I go to are at the mall or an office.

May 6 Job interview: Earlier this week I did a job interview for a bank. It was 30min phone interview. It was okay, but I don't think I got the job. My dad said I was "in over my head" after I told him. Yeah.

Job: One busser quit last week after working here for months. She's moving out of the city and she's going to get a higher paying job. A hostess quit after a month or so. She had gotten a second job that pays higher and gives her more hour. After awhile, she decided to only work there.

Analyze: I've been thinking about the "laughing about death" email/ blog post. It's where Cordelia disses Buffy (from Buffy the Vampire Slayer) for her parents being divorced by saying: "I have two unlike some people" and Tobias dissing his brother-in-law Michael (Arrested Development): "Look at you. You're not married. Why? Because your wife is dead."

Which is worse? Cordelia didn't apologize, but Tobias did. C often says mean things, but T often doesn't. It's kind of a mixed bag. If you want to look solely at the insult, than I would say T is worse for dissing someone for losing a loved one. But you add the apology and the character's personality, who is worse?

C got Buffy angry, but T got Michael sad. If C said that in front of a live audience, the audience would say: "Ohhhhh." But if T said that in front of a live audience, no one would say anything because it's so mean. It's a toss up.

Law of attraction: I was watching Castle earlier this week, and Beckett's old training officer comes into the alley. The tint was all blue. It then made me think of Prison Break. If you watch Prison Break, then you would know that it's always shot in a blue tint. It also reminded me of a scene on the show where Michael gets kidnapped in an alley.

Then Dominic Purcell from Prison Break shows up on Castle.

No comments: