Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Law and Order: SVU/ racism/ Trevor Popik Hafso

Mar. 18 Law and Order:SVU I was watching a Law and Order: SVU ep called "Flight". There was this guy on it and he looked so familiar. Then I realized it was Colm Feore (from the movie Bon Cop, Bad Cop, and the mentor on the first season of The Listener.) He had a beard so I didn't recognize him at first. Since he's the biggest guest- star he's the guy who did it.

The ep was this woman in her 20s and how she is dating him. She was also bringing young teen girls to his massage room, and then he molests them and also pays for it. The woman wouldn't go against her boyfriend. It turns out she was dating him when she was underage.

Benson: You weren't dating him, he was grooming you.

Yes, that's the word I was looking for. That's why I had that major problem on Dateline: To Catch a Predator where that 35 yr old guy said to the 12 yr old girl: "I thought that we should get to know each other first." He was obviously grooming her. This L&O: SVU ep is what would happen if Dateline wasn't there. If this 35 yr old was caught with a 12 yr old, the girl would say they were dating and wouldn't press charges.

I also watch a lot of Oprah where she talks about child molestation and the word grooming always pops up.

Comic book: I have writer's block so I'm going to write about things that should get my creative juices flowing.

Yesterday I was watching some Conan O' Brien, and Rashida Jones was on. She's from The Office and Parks and Recreation. She talked about her comic book called Frenemy of the State. It's about a socialite who is an undercover spy. RJ thought: "What if a heiress worked for the CIA? That would be a good cover because no one would expect someone like Paris Hilton to work for the CIA." That's a good premise.

Writers: I noticed this back in Apr. 2010. I was watching Castle and see one of the producers/ writers is Moira Kirkland. She worked on the TV show Dark Angel. Interesting that she go from sci-fi to crime drama.

Racism: I saw that I wrote a note in my old agenda in May 2010 about racism. It was back in 2002 or 2003, when I used to go this internet forum called Fametracker Forums. My sister got me into it. You can talk about TV, movies, books, music, and celebs and then it eventually closed the forums down. Then everybody moved to twop.com.

I remember someone on Fametracker said that The Lion King was racist. Did you notice that the physically dark characters like the hyenas were voiced by dark actors? Oh yeah, Whoopi Goldberg was the voice of one of the hyenas. I didn't notice the race thing until someone pointed it out. I remember watching the movie when I was nine and I just remembered Goldberg's voice, but not the race.

Animals: I'm getting another flashback coming on. When I was 10, I was watching Kratt's Creatures with my little brother. He loves animals and always watches them on TV. On the show the hosts Chris and Martin Kratt says a lot of people think hyenas are scavengers. That lions kill the animal and hyenas take the meat. Often it's the other way around.

Then today, P was watching My Supersweet 16 which is a trashy show about mainly spoiled teen girls throwing an extravagant birthday party that costs thousands of dollars. This girl showed she owned ostriches.

Me: Ostrich burger, get your ostrich burger! (Homer said that on The Simpsons.)
P: Those are emus.

Yeah, he knows a lot about animals. lol. Then it brought a flashback of a Baby- Sitter's Club book. Mary Anne had to solve a mystery at the zoo. She was also writing a paper about emus.

Mind: Interesting how my mind goes from The Lion King to Kratt's Creatures to My Supersweet 16 to The Simpsons to The Baby- Sitter's Club.

Mar. 20 The Listener: I haven't been writing about this show in awhile. I saw an episode called "In his Sights." It shows Toby (Craig Olejnik) working out so that was hot. It was so Canadian when they mention the Conservative Party, and show the Canadian flag. The Prime Minister was played by Kevin Jubinville (the bad principal on Degrassi.)

There is an assassination attempt on the Prime Minister, and Toby and his IIB team has to prevent it from happening. It was unpredictable when Toby hears (reads a mind) that someone is going to hurt the PM, but then a balloon filled with red paint was thrown at the PM.

After some more investigating, the PM's team has some military members and there was a cover up on murdering civilians in Iraq. A solider has to get back at the PM for being part of that. I don't think I've seen that on a TV show before.

Actors: I was checking out the beginning of the TV movie The Unquiet. The opening scene was to expose a fake psychic so I had to watch how it goes. I'm interested in psychics and the supernatural. I then recognized the woman who sees the psychic. It's Olivia from The Listener! Or her real name is Mylene Ding- Robic.

It was also weird. I was watching The Listener, and there's the actor Peter Stebbings who was on for 3 episodes. On the 3rd ep, I realized that I have seen him before. He played a pedophile on a an episode of Flashpoint back in 2008. I saw him once 2 yrs ago and now I recognize him.

Job: I mentioned before that there are things that you can't control that can affect your work like: getting sick, getting laid off, being out of work for months. I was going through my agenda in Jan. 2010, there was fire alarm that was pulled at the mall that I worked at. It was on Wed. and Sat. and we had to close down for about 3hrs in total. By closing down due to the fire alarm, you miss out on making money.

Trevor Popik Hafso: Yesterday I had a split shift at work. I had a few hours between my two shifts so I stayed at the mall. I then went to Chapters. I was reading the first chapter of The Secret. Well I like The Secret: Teen Power more because I can relate to it more.

Anyway, I was walking to leave the store and see that an author was sitting at a table doing signings. I looked at the business card and immediately recognized the logo of the lion with the wings. I picked it up before and put it on my desk.

The author Trevor Popik Hafso wrote The Three Little Pigs II: The Evolution of the Wolf which is a picture book.

Me: I met you before.
T: Yeah.
Me: At City Centre mall.

He had a signing at City Centre last year. We chatted a bit. I told him to make a blog. I then went to his website www.bookshelfadventures.com and emailed him this:

"To Trevor:

Hi, I'm Tracy Au and we met each other the second time at Chapters yesterday. I was the young Asian woman who told you how to make a blog. Go to www.blogger.com and you can set up a free Google account. Then you can promote yourself and your book more.

I have a blog myself at www.badcb.blogspot.com. It's about TV, movies, writing, news, my life, etc. I've had the blog since 2008 to get discovered as a screenwriter. I've been pitching my screenplay since 2008 and been in talks with a producer. I will write about you on it.

Have you ever heard of the Writer in Residence at the Edmonton Public Library? It's Marty Chan and he has helped me with my writing. You can email him your work of 15 pages and he will give you helpful feedback:

writerinresidence@EPL.CA

Well it was nice meeting you.

Tracy"

No comments: