Tuesday, November 2, 2010

office job/ Red: Werewolf Hunter/ dialogue



Oct. 30 Office job: Yesterday, the woman I was being trained with, she told me that she overheard the manager fire a sales guy.

Manager: You don't show up for work, and you don't even call to say you're not coming in. I don't need you.

That's good to dismiss people for bad behavior or performance. 

Chances: At the Soup place, my managers were way too patient with this co-worker of mine. This co-worker often misses Mon. and Tues. and often doesn't call. My manager Stella says she will give her one more chance and if she doesn't meet up to the standard, they will fire her.

However, the employee kept missing Mon. and Tues., and not calling. She keeps working there. The managers have lowered their expectations and dealt with it. The managers have stuck with their guns on this other employee who was a 13 yr old boy. He missed some shifts. He either quit or got fired, it doesn't matter. He's 13 yrs old, you can lower your expectations. It wasn't a major loss for him or the managers if he wasn't working there.

16 and Pregnant: I finished reading the dozens of pages on twop.com about the season 2 episode of Lori. My thoughts are that it's a good thing that Lori gave her baby up for adoption. L was adopted and her biological mom was a teen mom. I liked L's adoptive parents who pushed her into giving the baby up for adoption.

I thought L's friend was stupid for saying to L: "I think you can keep the kid and raise it as your own." I thought it was really weird for someone to say that to a teen girl. I would never tell a teen girl to keep the kid and raise it as her own because it's really hard. The people on twop.com thought the friend was stupid too, and that she probably only said that so she has a baby to play with, and L is the one raising it.

I thought the friend was stupid about wanting to throw a baby shower for L when it wasn't really decided on if she is going keep it or give it up for adoption. I was glad when her mom said that getting pregnant as a teenager is nothing to celebrate.

L's mom: Why throw a baby shower when you're not even going to keep the kid?
L: So I can give the baby stuff to the adoptive family.

L's boyfriend Cory was alright. He was a few years older, and lived with a roommate in his own apartment. I didn't think he was a jerk. There was a lot of skepticism about C and his female roommate who he is "just friends" with. I believe that he was just friends with his roommate. There was skepticism on twop.com that L was taking birth control pills with antibiotics that made the birth control pill less effective.

Maybe I'm gullible, but I did believe that. I remember writing about it in my blog/ weekly email: "Be careful when taking antibiotics with birth control pills, because the birth control pill would be less effective."

KFC: Yesterday I tried the Double Down Burger from KFC. You know it's a burger with two pieces of chicken as the bread, two slices of cheese and bacon. It's $7.34. It tastes good, but it's too expensive. I'll add trying this burger and a burger from Fat Burger on my "List of things I always wanted to do." This burger and burgers from Fat Burger are way too expensive like $6. I would spend that money on a combo like burger, fries and a drink. I have been to a couple of KFCs and it's advertised that it's sold out. I read in 24 that it's estimated 350,000 of these burgers were sold since it came to Canada on Oct. 18.

Oct. 31 Red: Werewolf Hunter: I read about this TV movie in the newspaper. It's about the re-imagining of Little Red Riding Hood. There has been Tin Man (remake of The Wizard of Oz) and Alice (Alice in Wonderland.) It stars Felicia Day who you may have seen as a slayer- in- training on Buffy and on Joss Whedon's other creation Dr. Horrible. I like the supernatural, but I didn't like this TV movie.

I'll admit that I have been trying to cut down on watching TV movies because it's often mediocre. It's about a young woman named Virginia, and her nickname is Red. She is an FBI agent and so is her fiance Nathan. R has a family secret that they are werewolf hunters. She wants to tell N that, but first she asks her grandma. R introduces N to her Grandma, and her two brothers. R's parents were killed by a werewolf.

R brings N home, and then this guy comes up to N when he's alone. The man dies right in front of him. R is forced to tell him the family secret because you can't explain how this body bursts into flames. N understandably freaks out and goes out for a walk to process what's going on. He then gets attacked by a werewolf.

N is locked up in a cage when it becomes full moon. The antagonist is introduced as Gabriel. He attacked the man, and he attacked N. I thought I saw Riley from Degrassi: The Next Generation making an appearance, but he wasn't credited. There is a good surprise with the girl that was in the trunk of the car. However, I thought she should have been tied up.Unless it was a really fast kidnapping, you throw her in without bothering to put tie her up. The story is how the Sullivans and the Werewolves called a truce to not kill each other as long as the werewolves lock themselves up on the full moon.

Gabriel took over and the werewolves are kidnapping people and putting them in this game so the wolves will hunt down the humans. It's like that short story "The Most Dangerous Game" about hunting humans.

The newly turned werewolves then hunt down the Sullivans.

Dialogue: In the Globe and Mail, it said there was "clunky dialogue" and the Edmonton Journal said "Check out the movie." I have to agree the dialogue wasn't really good. Of course, a lot of writers and producers have told me that I need to work on my dialogue writing. I was on imdb.com and one review said about the line delivery wasn't good.

Here are some examples from the movie:

Gabriel catches good guys and knocks them out.

Gabriel: Welcome. I've been looking forward to this. Get some rest.

I would have rewritten it to: "I've been looking forward to this for a very long time." You may think my line's not very good.

Later Red and her brother Marcus are talking.

Marcus: If I become a wolf, kill me.
Red: I'll make a note of it for future reference.

Marcus and Jake are running, and J retrieves something that will help them.

Marcus: Our odds of survival just improved dramatically.

Excuse me, no one is going to say that. They would just say: "That's great." The audience already knows that it will help the characters.

Line delivery: I remember a few months ago I was watching a Buffy rerun with my sister. It's where Xander sees his ex-fiance Anya hooking up with Spike on video.

Shortly afterward, Willow goes up to Buffy.

Willow: Xander's gone, and he took your axe.
My sister and I kind of laughed at that line. It's not a bad line or delivery, but it was kind of funny. In real life, anyone is going to say that line, and say it that way.

Post Secret: I read this post card: "I've been using lines from Grey's Anatomy on my ex....and he thinks they're so clever he's been repeating them. (I can't decide if I want someone to call him on it!)"

-----tweet-----

I used the "you dont get to call me a whore" speech on my ex who had cheated on me. He cried.

-----email-----

I used Burke’s wedding vows as my own, because I was so busy planning the wedding I forgot to write any. I only saw a few episodes of that TV show when it first came out. I couldn't get into, so that's why I stopped. Looks like this show has good dialogue that people will use them in real life. I usually quote from funny TV shows like The Simpsons to make people laugh.

No comments: