Sunday, November 14, 2010

job search/ George W. Bush/ Shaw Conference Centre

Nov. 10 Job search: I was looking for a job on job-raipido.ca and when I clicked on the links to get a job as a receptionist, it led me to Kijiji.ca postings. The thing is, you should go to Kijiji.ca first. There are hundreds of job postings per category than job-raipido.

Nov. 11 Katherine Jackson: Oprah interviewed Michael Jackson's mother Katherine Jackson earlier this week. They talked about MJ's death, and how KJ is still grieving. After KJ found out he passed away, she took MJ's kids to her home.

O interviewed MJ's kids and they seem normal and well- adjusted. They interviewed them in their really big mansion. It was a sunny day. The oldest Prince likes playing video games and sports. Paris wants to be an actress when she grows up.

George W. Bush: Oprah interviewed him about his book called Decision Points. He was actually intentionally funny. If you see him talk to the press, he often stumbles and sounds stupid. I'm going to say it: I wanted John Kerry to beat him in the 2004 election.

GWB talked about 9-11. He said he had to act calm and show no fear. He also mentioned about when he was sleeping in the White House that he was woken up in the middle of the night, and rushed downstairs to the bomb shelter because a plane flew close by. He talked about Hurricane Katrina and how he didn't land there right away, because if he was there, all the security is going to him and not to the people in need.

Talk show hosts: Oprah interviewed all these talk show hosts yesterday.

1. Phil Donahue: He was on air for 29 yrs and had 20 Daytime Emmys. He was on since the 1960s, so I won't remember watching it because I'm too young. O says he opened the door for her. PD says: "When I'm at the airport a lot of people come up to me and say: 'Because of your show, I left an abusive relationship, etc.'"

2. Geraldo Rivera: He was on the 1980s and I don't remember watching it. They showed a clip of how he got into a fight when Neo-Nazis were on the show. There were like 30 people on stage and a chair was thrown at GR that broke his nose.

3. Ricki Lake: She was on TV for 11 yrs. I remember seeing her in the early 90s, but I didn't really like her. I was a kid back then. She did talk about how she had this reverend on her show and he was picketing AIDs victims funerals.

RL: You may be a reverend, but this is still my show. Get out!
The Oprah audience cheers.

4. Montell Williams: He was on TV for 17 yrs. I saw a few episodes, and thought he was alright. He talked to a black woman who was raised in a cult since she was a kid. I remember him talking to another black woman who was being held hostage in some sort of robbery and she inadvertently became the hostage negotiator.

He talked about having MS. I'm getting a flashback of high school. I was at Leslie's house and she said her mom likes him.

5. Sally Jessy Raphael: I remember seeing a few eps of her show. She talked to a rape victim. She talked to this man and his teenage son who's two young daughters were kidnapped by their ex- wife and mom, two days before Christmas.

Nov. 12 Remembrance day: So yesterday was Remembrance day. Ricki Lake had mentioned that she saw Sept. 11 first hand in the city. She thought to get out of NY, bad marriage, and finish her TV show contract (it ended in 2004.) She does charity work and is writing a book.

A couple months ago there was an update on Oprah. There is this woman who had 85% of her body burned in Sept. 11. 9 months later, she came back on Oprah and she looked mostly normal. 9 yrs later, she's beautiful and has a second kid due to a surrogate.

Job interviews: I did a job interview at a clothing store Eddie Bauer yesterday. Did you know that store came out in Seattle in 1920? In 2009, it filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection. During the interview, I was told they lost money in 2005.

Shaw Conference Centre: After that I went and did a banquet server job at the Shaw Conference Centre. I applied there months ago and turned down an interview because I got hired someone else. I decided to give this a shot and gleaned a lot of info.

Did you know there are 300 part-time staff and most are college students? The base pay is $9.20/hr, but you can make up to $12-$14/hr gratuities. There are flexible schedules where you can pick days and nights. You will have to stay until 10pm if you work on the night shifts.

I'm not really comfortable with taking the bus at night. It's only a 2 blocks (10 min walk) from a well lit bus stop at the Stanley A Milner library. A good thing though is that they pay for your Pro- Serve course. It's an online course that you do to get a license to serve alcohol. You can use it for the next 5 yrs anywhere in Alberta.

Volunteer: I read in the Edmonton Examiner that 48% of Edmontonians volunteer. I was going through my job notes from months ago and my sister told me about volunteering. She told me about this site:

http://www.volunteeredmonton.com/

Writing: Also from looking from my old notes it said: "Email Graham Wardle." I had added him as my friend on Facebook, but now he doesn't have his own page anymore. There are fan pages of him on the site though. He was one of my choice actors that I wanted in The Fighter.

Merge: While I'm at it, the Edmonton magazine Merge has folded after 8 issues. Going through my notes, I had sent them my charity article. Looks like that won't be published.

Coincidence: Last month I sent out 66 resumes and I got the office job. Now I sent 66 resumes in one week, and I managed to get a busser job. I hope this one works out.

Nov. 13 Fun: Today I pitched my script to production companies all morning. I find that it's easier to pitch than to look for a job. You are doing the same thing by looking up companies and reading about it. Instead of sending a resume, you're sending your pitch. Maybe I because I like to see the script actually be produced.

After wards, I watched all three Gossip Girl bloopers. Each were 10 min long and funny. One for each season.

No comments: