Sunday, September 19, 2010

inspiration/ news/ music

Sept.16 Inspiration: I don't even watch The Apprentice, but I was reading about it in the Metro and 24. Here are some really smart and talented overachievers who lost their jobs during the recession. I read in 24, that Donald Trump is actually helping the contestants get jobs with some of the show's sponsors so that's good.

There's a Canadian woman named Stephanie Castagnier who graduated out of McGill University and is from Montreal. She's a contestant on that show.

News: I read that the police can't take down this website where you can play an online video game where players pretend to be the gunman at the 2006 Dawson College shooting. The designer said he tried to make it as less offensive as possible and he apologized prior to it saying it may offend some people.

Already hundreds of people are writing about how offensive it is. I agree. I don't have a problem with violent video games like Grand Theft Auto and Splinter Cell. This video game is based on a real and tragic event.

Good news: I did read that people are living much longer when diagnosed with cancer these days than back in the 90s.

Crazy day: Yesterday I went to work, and then I was moved to another location on campus. This part was quieter and then they closed at 3pm, so I had to help sweep and mop. I haven't closed for work in months. I met two new people. Today was my day off, but I was still on call. I woke up early and did my job search in the morning. It's a good thing I did wake up early, because I was called in to work from 11am-5pm.

Sept. 17 CSI: NY: I have writer's block, so I'll write about a really good episode of this show. The ep starts with the cops going into a trained assassin's lair. There is a "wall of crazy" meaning there is a wall of pictures and newspaper clippings about murders. Last episode, she had gotten away.

I remember on an Angel season 1 ep, Angel found this vampire that he turned, and he had a wall of crazy. There was pictures of a school bus full of children to make Angel think the vamp was gong to attack them.

Back to CSI: NY. I thought the ep was a little anti-climatic because the first scene was the assassin has been killed. It was a red herring. It's a set up for finding out the assassin who killed her. Then it turns she had faked her own death by kidnapping a woman and did plastic surgery on the woman's face.

If the cops think the assassin's dead, the case is closed. That was a good surprise. Another good surprise was the cops investigating a suspect who may have killed the assassin. There is this mechanic underneath a car, and he used to be in the army. He comes out from underneath the car, and his legs and arm are robotic. You didn't expect that one.

Advice: I was reading Ellie's advice column in the Edmonton Journal. The lesson is: If you know a friend is being cheated on, tell them. Even through an anonymous note. People wrote in saying it's a good thing to tell your friend about it because that person could catch an STD. One guy wrote in saying: "I was about to buy an engagement ring for someone who was cheating on me." So you helped this person save money and time.

Music: A couple of weeks ago I was listening to Timbaland and it had the singer Brandy rapping. Then today I was looking up Robin Thicke because on his album he had sampled the song "It's my Party." I then found Brandy using the chorus and rapping to it. She sounded good. You know the song is actually by Lesley Gore. It goes like this: "It's my party, and I can cry if I want to." Now I just realized how Robin Thicke used it in his "Sex Therapy" song. His lyrics are to the beat: "It's your body, we'll go hard as you want to."

Flashback: Now I'm getting a flashback of going to my friend Christina's bday party when she turned 11. Everybody was singing that song.

Sampling: Robin Thicke sampled Al Green's "I'm Glad You're Mine" for his song "Mrs. Sexy." He also sampled Marvin Gaye's "Trouble Man" for his song "Million Dollar Baby." If you listen to those songs, you can totally hear the beat.I'm surprised that I heard "Sex Therapy" so many times, and yet never noticed that he sampled Lesley Gore's song. It's because when RT did it, he changed the beat and slowed it down significantly. LG's song is faster.

Charity: I was watching Oprah today. She bought a home for a woman who lost her limbs. Her husband has also lost his job. The family (they have 2 daughters) will go house hunting and then Oprah will pay for the house in full so the family don't have to pay the mortgage. Nate Berkus will come to decorate their home.

Sept. 18 Job search: I did the usual job search yesterday and today. I also emailed my friend Angela a few positions she may be interested in. I applied to be a production assistant at this film company.

Script pitch: I was looking for an office job, and it lead me to Kijiji and then it lead to me these production companies. I haven't pitched my Fighter script in a few months. I've only been emailing updates to the producer John Kerr. Now that I found some more production companies, I had to pitch it.

Song: I was thinking about that song "Doing Too Much" by Paula Deanda. The lyric: "Baby, am I doing too much?" In my case: "Am I doing enough?" Am I looking for a job hard enough? Am I applying to as many places as I can?

Rant: Here's a mild rant. MuchMusic used to play Buffy on at 4pm, but they replaced it with Gossip Girl. I see MuchMoreMusic advertising they're playing Buffy at midnight which is too late for me to watch because I have to go to work in the morning. Then it turns out MMM is playing it at 10pm on my time so I can watch it. That's good.

They're playing season 7 eps. But it turns out that I missed the first 4 eps of season 7 when they aired it this week. I was kind of annoyed. The important thing is, I get to watch it now.

No comments: