Sunday, September 12, 2010

economy news/ Nikita/ actors

Sept.9 Economy news: I read in the Globe and Mail A section that women make 63% of what men make. It's because women mainly work in less lucrative industries like social work while men work in engineering. Women put more priority to family than work, than men do. Also women work more in part-time than full- time.

Then I read in their Life section that as a whole, women make 20% less than men in the US. Single, childless women ages 22-30 make 8% more than men do on average. That's because there are more women in college, and the manufacturing and construction industry jobs have been disappearing due to the recession.

In major cities, the single, childless women make way more.

San Francisco: 11%
NYC: 17%
Atlanta: 21%

Lawyers: In other news, bankruptcy lawyers increase in business due to the recession. I'm sure that kind of adds fuel to the fire for all you haters of lawyers.

Job search: I went to check my college email account, and there was nothing about jobs. The good news is that I have set up an interview for an admin support position at an office. I called them this morning about it. I went to Google maps and went there to the location to check out the place. I did some research about the company.

I then went and looked at the Edmonton Journal classifieds and faxed my resume to another office. It was good today because I got a day off. My manager said that there were a lot of people on the schedule today so that's why I'm using my day off wisely.

Teen pregnancy: I'm on my break and reading 16 and Pregnant. Then I felt like listening to "Pregnant" by R. Kelly, Tyrese, Robin Thicke and the Dream." Here's an interesting comment on Youtube:

AjreamcomeTrue's: "i agree with alot of the comment and happy to see there are alot of teen or people admitting they aint ready to be parents. Make sure before you bring another precious life into this world that you are ready. The shit aint no joke.

I love my baby but sometime it is rough as a mf and im married. I love my baby but it is alot harder than i thought it was gone be. Im 27 and just had my 1st baby. Make sure u ready and thats real talk.This song is 6 minutes but baby is a forever commitment."

I totally agree with her. You can watch her channel here: http://www.youtube.com/user/AjreamcomeTrue

Abortions: I was reading on the 16 and P thread that Addison from Grey's Anatomy/ Private Practice had an abortion and wasn't villified for it. There's also an ep on Friday Night Lights about a teen girl who got an abortion. I think Law and Order: SVU had characters who had abortions, but not a whole ep about it.

So the thing is, is that American network shows do show abortions. Don't count on a show aimed at teens to show it though.

Sept. 10: I read that the HBO show Six Feet Under had someone have an abortion.I got a quick flashback. Melissa Joan Hart guest- starred on Law and Order: SVU. She was raped, and got an abortion on that show.

Nikita: It's that time of year again, where new shows come on and I have to do my review. I heard there was going to be remake of this show. I saw the original TV show Nikita starring Peta Wilson. Her career hasn't gone that well after the show. I did see her in the movie League of Extraordinary Gentleman, a small part in Superman Returns, and the TV movie False Pretenses. The show came out in 1997, but I didn't start watching it until 2001.

The original also starred Matthew Ferguson as Birkoff. I did hear his voice when he played Bobby Lee on the animated show Odd Job Jack. I checked his credits and he was on An American in Canada. There was one season. I totally forgot about that show. The original TV show had Nikita being framed for murder and she had to work for a secret govt. agency where she spies and kills people. It was really good. One of the writers was Luc Besson who wrote the Jet Li movie Unleashed. The show was based on a movie by the same name by LB, but she did commit murder.

Actors: Now onto the new version. It stars Maggie Q (full name Margaret Denise Quigley). She goes by Q because when she was in China no one could pronounce her last name. Her dad's Polish- Irish American and her mom's Vietnamese. MQ looks Asian. This show is produced by The OC, Fastlane, Charlie's Angel's producer McG. This show is about how Nikita was recruited into the secret govt. agency called Division, and she escaped when her fiancee was murdered.

It stars Shane West. He's one of the many actors I see that used to big in movies back in the 90s, but now has to do TV. You know like Mehki Pheifer on the show Lie to Me, Freddie Prinze Jr. on 24. It also stars Lyndsey Foncesca. She's gotten really far from The Young and the Restless, to TV shows like Desperate Housewives, to small parts in movies like Hot Tub Time Machine, to a regular on this show.

I saw Aaron Stanfod (Pyro from X-Men) and as soon as I saw him wearing glasses, I said: "Are you supposed to be Birkoff?" Yes, he was. Melinda Clarke (Julie from The OC) is in it too.

This show has action, mystery, and it's sexy. Alex (Lyndsey Foncesca) is recruited. There is great expository because she's a human trafficking victim. I love the plot twist at the end. It's well- written. I will certainly be tuning in every week.

Sept. 11 Productive: I filed my EI, looked for a job, applied to one.

No comments: