Friday, August 20, 2010

job news/ Robin Thicke/ EI article

Aug. 17 Job news: I'm sure you've all heard about that guy who was a flight attendant at this airline, and then he made a big dramatic exit by quitting his job and taking a case of beer. My sister was talking about one of the managers who used to work at her store. He made a statement by quitting at Christmas time, the most busiest time of the year. I kind of did that.

Well, I told the Soup place to hire another person to work here because there's always 1 or 2 people who miss 1 or 2 days of work a week. I'm overworked pulling my weight. I then got a job at Call Centre #3 and only worked on the weekends. Then the managers listened to me and they hired 2 people to replace me. The thing is, the 2 young women who replaced me are really reliable.

But there are still the 2 people who always miss 1 or 2 days of work a week. The managers end up calling me anyway to fill in for them.

Aug. 18 Inspiration: I found this pianist Liu Wei who lost his arms when he was 10 yrs old to an electric accident. He was on China's Got Talent and he played the piano beautifully with his feet. It was very inspirational. That also reminded me of something I saw years ago on Maury. It was back when I used to wach it. It was about a woman who doesn't have arms, but lives a relatively normal life. They showed her buy groceries and making dinner with her feet.

Here's the Yahoo video clip:
http://new.ca.music.yahoo.com/blogs/realityrocks/385927/armless-pianist-liu-wei-defies-odds-on-chinas-got-talent/

Robin Thicke: I bought his "Sex Therapy" cd a few months ago. I've been listening to it nearly everyday. I would think I got sick of it by now, but I haven't. Today I bought two of his other cds "The Evolution of Robin Thicke" and "Something Else." He came out with his song "Lost Without U" in 2006. I've heard of it and thought it was boring. I remember seeing the video "Wanna Love U Girl" feat. Pharrell and I didn't really notice him. Then his song "Magic" came out. I love that upbeat song that you can dance to.

In the Metro I read an article about him in 2009. Then I heard the tail end of "Sex Therapy" and I liked it. I saw some of the video on TV. I then went on the internet and looked it up, and loved it. For the past couple days I've been watching interviews with him.

Calgary: I was talking to my friend Angela about how I traveled. I didn't spend any money for the 3 days in Calgary. I went to the hospital to see my grandpa and had hospital food. I think that's the first time I had hospital food. I did get a flashback because the last time I ever was at the hospital was in gr. 3. I was part of the choir and we went there to sing.

I picked up this Chinese/English magazine. It talked about celebrities I don't know. Some part was Chinese, and some was written in English. The writing wasn't very good. I have never read a magazine like that.

Comparisons: I was typing up my script and am reminded of a movie. I thought it was like Gone in 60 Seconds, but it's about Nicholas Cage's character who's a retired car thief. He has to pull a huge heist to save his brother. I am reminded: "No, wait I was thinking of Swordfish." It's about hacking into this mainframe to steal the govt.'s dirty money. Hugh Jackman's character wants to see his daughter.

Then there's the plane movie Red Eye where Rachel McAdam's character has to do something so her father won't get hurt. That's how I hit writer's block. I try to be original, but then I am reminded of something similar.

Aug. 19 EI article: I read this article in the National Post about this guy DB who's 29 yrs old and graduated with an engineering degree. He gets $401 EI and he works part-time so he can keep getting EI. He got laid off somewhere else. The article was about how the govt. is taking care of people. The writer talked about here's a guy who's in his prime age to be working. He doesn't because he wants to have fun this summer. The govt. is to take care of people who aren't able- bodied or able-minded.

I'm not like DB at all. I'm still looking for that office job. DB should be looking for an engineering job. He might after his EI runs out.Smoke: There must be a huge fire in the city. I was in Bonnie Doon, and all I smell is smoke. Then I went to Capilano and downtown and I still smell and see it.

Lookalike: I may be listening to too much Robin Thicke and watching too much Wes Brown, but I think they kind of look alike, especially when they have facial hair.

Aug. 20 Saving money: My parents volunteered at the Heritage Day Festival, and they got 6 bottles of leftover ice tea. I was the only one who drank it. I never buy pop. I don't like buying things to drink.

Combination lock: Yesterday I did a little shopping because I needed to buy a lock for my locker at my new job. I had a $4 one I bought in jr. high and used it for 6 yrs. Then my sister needed one for her gym locker so I gave it to her for free. She used it for 3 yrs and counting.

I was going to ask her to pay me back since I had to buy one for myself now. But I didn't, because yesterday she gave me a leftover scone. She always gives me leftover pastries and I eat them. So in a way it balances out. I did ask my brother for his lock, if he can find it.

New job: It's kind of funny. My friend Meghan from Professional Writing and Chamnouer both worked at the same grocery store chain, and they worked in the Deli section. Then I bumped into Chase at City Centre mall and he guessed that I would work at Deli. Then I was talking to my aunt and she guessed which section I worked at. That's because it's mainly women who work at that section.I did 2 days of training which is mainly learning on the computer.

Then today I did the hands-on experience with dealing with the customers. A little overwhelming and I had to learn how to use the computerized scales and where things are. I had to learn the codes.I'm going to give it my best shot.

No comments: