Friday, August 13, 2010

The Avalanches/ Basement Jaxx/ comparisons

Aug. 10 The Avalanches: I recently rediscovered this techno band again. They're like Basement Jaxx, Dirty Vegas, and The Wiseguys (song: "Start the Commotion.") I have heard their song "Frontier Psychiatrist" years ago. I totally forgot about that song until today I was listening to Basement Jaxx on Youtube, and it lead me to them. They're all good.

Basement Jaxx: I really like the song and video "Take me Back to your house." It's really different with the Russian and Ukranian dancing to a pop/ dance song. I was watching Much Music and I see the band Dragonette. I recognize the singer Martina Sorbara. She was in the Basement Jaxx's video "Take me back to your house." She co-wrote and starred in that video.
It was back in 2006. That's so cool.

I always liked Basement Jaxx's song "Red Alert." I heard it on a beer commercial back in 2000/2001. I remember it's during the supernatural TV show Freakylinks. Then I remember going to Mary Ann's bday party back in 2001 and she had that song on in the cd player. I then had to wait until 2006 to see the movie Bend it like Beckham on TV to hear that song.

I then went on twop.com to ask what that song's called and that's how I found out who's it by. I also really like the song and video for Basement Jaxx's video "Romeo." It's very Bollywood. I learned about this band in 2001. Their song "Bingo Bango" was on the Get Over It soundtrack. Their famous song was "Where's your head at?"

Psycho: I saw the 1998 remake of this movie. I read about it in my screenwriting books so I'm spoiled. Vince Vaughn is in a serious role where he plays the killer Norman Bates. He's usually in comedy roles so he's got range. I remember my sister pointing out that the license plate adds up to the number 13. It's like the Stephen King movie 1408 about a guy who stays in a haunted hotel room. That adds up to 13.

Back to Psycho. It's a good and scary movie. It stars Viggo Moretenson and Julianne Moore. Well acted and well- written. I recommend you watch it.

Aug. 11 Comparisons: Here's some more:

Quirky dad, good daughter: That's on Castle and Lie to Me. The lead characters are dads, and their daughters are very smart and straight-laced.

A sleeper agent is awakened, and sent to kill someone without knowing it: I was watching Dollhouse and there was a really good plot twist. This woman was being attacked by a bad guy, and then the Dollhouse boss Adele calls the home and says something to awaken the woman. It turns out the woman is a doll named November. She's awakened and then she kills the bad guy. This was in 2009.

On Alias, they did that in 2001. Well Sydney meets a guy in a mental hospital. Then later he calls her by her real name. S then figures out he was the one who was sent to kill her fiance Danny. The killer knows S's real name because he was in her home, and saw a picture with a banner that said: "Happy Birthday Sydney!"

On The Simpsons, Sideshow Bob hypnotizes Bart into murdering Krusty the Clown.

The school is low on funds, so someone has to do 2 jobs: On South Park, Chef works in the cafeteria and as gym teacher. On The Simpsons, Lunch Lady Doris also works as the school nurse.

Protagonists jobs: I was reading in the Edmonton Journal about this teen girl who followed everything from Seventeen magazine for 1 month. The article mentioned about these jobs that teens could do, but seems more like what romantic comedy protagonists jobs are like a baker instead of bussing tables. Work at a pet shop or veterinary clinic.

As for action movie protagonists, their jobs are cop, CIA, and anything law enforcement. There was the movie Eagle Eye starring Shia LaBeouf and he was a regular guy who got caught up in something. Same goes for the movie Cellular with Chris Evans.

Scam: I read this in the Edmonton Journal awhile back about this scam that targets seniors. Today I was reading "Toasting" section where people thank others for good things they did. This one person wrote: "I went to Money Mart to get $4,300 to give to my grandson. The person said that could be a scam, and that I should ask the grandson a personal question. Then he hangs up on me. So thanks to Money Mart for saving me money and grief."

Aug. 12 Old job: I talked to Judith from Call Centre #3 and she said that the supervisor who told me to "Lie your ass off" to get completed surveys, he didn't really get laid off. He had another job and had some injury to his eyes. He then worked as an interviewer there, and she hardly sees him on shift. So maybe he quit.

I don't know. I guess I should count my blessings that I don't have injury to my eyes.

Money: I'm very careful about money these days. I spend when necessary like a bus pass. I did buy a $12 membership for the library so I could check out books, cds, and dvds for a whole year. I did spend $10 on pizza, but my siblings and I pitched in. I got money for my birthday, but I'll be saving it.

Aug. 13 Job search: I woke up at 3:30am and I couldn't sleep so that's why I'm up now on the internet looking for a job. It's dark outside and no TV shows are on. It's like last morning it rained really hard so it forced me to buckle down in front of the computer.

I called Suzy Shier again. They said they're looking for an assistant manager with 5 yrs of experience, so I don't qualify. They did say they will call for interviews at the Kingsway and West Ed locations for sales associates positions.

Job interview: Last night I went to a interview at a cafe. I don't think I'll get the job. He said there are 30 applicants and there are 7 people (including me) he will do interviews. There are 2 full-time people, and 1 other person who buys groceries. The new hire will be P/T and eventually F/T. I feel this position will end up being redundant. That happened to me before a few times like that restaurant job I got in Apr. There are 4 people who work there, and there was very little customers coming in. There's no point in keeping me the 5th person. I wasn't surprised.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"and there was very little customers coming in" - How little were they? Do you mean midgets or actual pixies?