Friday, July 2, 2010

Facebook job search/ crazy bus trip/ writing

June 29 Facebook job search: I emailed my friend Amy from NAIT. She says:

"Hi Tracy. I'm good thanks for asking. I hope you are well too.
Sorry but I don't know of any jobs at the moment. I am seeking a new job myself as I dislike the one I have.
Good luck with the job hunt. I know how difficult it is!"

Then I emailed her asking if her place is hiring.

Amy: "It's a graphic design job at a newspaper. I'm not sure if you would qualify for a position. Plus, I believe we are still under a hiring freeze. We haven't had any new hires since last summer.I did the call centre thing for 6 months when I first got out of high school. I really disliked it but then I also worked the graveyard shift.

There are lots of jobs out there, it's just finding good ones that is difficult."

That last line is good line to remember.

Crazy bus trip: I got a call from that Proeco Corporation and I called them back to set up an interview for tomorrow morning. I went through Google Maps. It takes 2 buses and 53 min to get there. There is a 9 min. walk. I did make the long trip to find the place today. I know it's in an industrial area.

I then went home and called back saying that I got hired somewhere else and won't be coming to the interview. She wished me luck. Yeah, that's a white lie, or do you want to hear the whole truth?

Me: It took me nearly an hr to get there. Then when I got there, there were no sidewalks. Do you know how dangerous that is if I were to walk on the outside of the road? It's scary, I could get hit by a car or by those huge 18 wheeler trucks. I had to walk in the grass, but then what if I get the job and then it snows?

I can't walk in the snow or the icy road. What if a car skids whether there is snow or not, and I get hit? I am concerned about my safety. It's not worth it. I used to walk to high school for 15 min in the snow, but they were on sidewalks. They may not always be shoveled, but there were sidewalks.

I'm not putting obstacles in front of myself. I actually did make the trip today. If I did put obstacles in front of myself, I wouldn't have gone at all. It was for a receptionist position.

Job interview: Yesterday I did a job interview at Toyota to be a receptionist. I got a call back from them today and I didn't get the job. They gave it to a woman who's worked with car dealerships for 3 yrs so that's cool. I didn't expect to get the job anyway.

I didn't put obstacles in front of myself either at that time. I still went to the interview and gave it my best. I think it's because I did that Rogers interview. That helped me build confidence because I took the bus by myself to a new place for an office job. I was self-reliant by using Google Maps and not calling a taxi.

Cliche: I was watching Pretty Little Liars with my sister, and one of the girls Spencer steals her older sister's old essay for a school assignment. Then Spencer's teacher tells her that it's so good, he entered it into a essay contest.

That reminds me of Degrassi: The Next Generation. Someone on twop.com noted: "I like the fact that Paige got an essay off the internet, and the professor started reading it. She knew right away that the essay was from the internet, because she got that essay before. She gave P a zero on the spot. In other TV shows, the teacher enters the essay into a contest."

June 30 EI: I checked my bank account and I got $344 EI. Alright. The only way to get EI is if you work like 400hrs (depends on the province) and only if you're laid off to qualify for it.

Email: So my MacEwan email account expired quite awhile ago. Then I got a MacEwan Alumni newsletter in the mail. There was this iPod giveaway that will have Martin Mayer's 3 albums in it.

I then went and called the school so I can access my account and enter into the contest. Of course I should have done that a long time ago so I can access job info. lol.

Job search: It's a good thing it looks like it's going to rain. It's 2pm. I can't get distracted by good weather. Today I passed out 2 resumes in Capilano. I need to buckle down and look for a job. I went to Albertajobcentre.ca.

Rock remix: I found this artist Daniel Wesley a long time ago. I was on Youtube and I found his remake of Ginuwine's "Pony." It's a good rock version of an R&B song. This is as good as Down with Webster covering Aaliyah's "Are you that somebody?"

Quirky: I saw June's bus pass is brown and July's bus pass is pink. It made me think of chocolate and strawberry ice cream. lol.

Jul. 1 Writing: That psychic book has had an effect on me. Well it made me think of my Daniel script where he goes to see a psychic. I had the writer Conni Massing ask: "Why does he go to a psychic?" I realized I started off with the inciting incident with him seeing the psychic, without pages of set up prior to it.

The psychic/ author Lisa Barretta said that people come to see one because they have problems with money and relationships, and they want to see the future. I had no set up of what the character Daniel was like.

Daniel Tosh: That brings me to my next topic. The character Daniel was based on Daniel Tosh because when his Tosh.O show debuted in summer 2009, I thought it was so funny. Now it's like Family Guy, where there are only a few jokes that stand out. I'm going to keep watching it, but don't expect much.

Friends: I talked to my friend also named Dan today. He said he should be getting EI, but there is a long delay because his company didn't put down how many hours he was working. He was working for FT for a year until the branch shut down. At least he's going to school.

Job rant: I just put in an hr looking for a job on the internet. I hate how there are a lot of staffing agencies. They make money off the people who go to them, when they place jobs for them. These staffing agencies will always be here and aren't going anywhere.

I might as well add this one time when I was working at Booster Juice. I was walking from the bus stop to my house, and this guy has his car parked on the sidewalk. He saw my shirt and asked when the store's open. I told him because I know the answer and like to help people. Now looking back, I have some mild animosity to Booster Juice.

Jobserve.ca: I was talking to my friend Chamouer about her job search as a receptionist. She's got some interviews. I then went back on my job search, and then I emailed her about this good job site called Jobserve.ca.

2 comments:

ovelhadog said...

Very nice... thanks for this post.
If you wanna see creative wedding proposals, go to:
http://w-y-m-m.blogspot.com/
The "Will You Marry Me?" blog.

Job Description said...

Today it is recognized that to be truly well educated one must not only learn to appreciate the arts, but must have rich opportunities to actively participate in creative work.

Teacher job descriptions