Friday, July 16, 2010

crazy comment/ Lie to Me/ date

Jul 13 Crazy comment: Oh my god, someone read my blog and posted this crazy comment. It's even more interesting than that English teacher dissing my writing. Here it is. I was laughing at what this person was saying. He or she wrote it yesterday:

Anonymous said...
I mean this in the most polite way possible:

You need to start living your life.

Move out. Get, and keep, a job (even if you don't like it, that's how it works). Pay rent and bills. Buy a car. Cook for yourself. Meet new people and make new friends. Try new things without prematurely judging them; travel, go to a bar, and for Pete's sake, get laid (it's really not that big of a deal).

Life experience is probably the single most important factor in good writing. Without it, the lingering scent of naivety overpowers any attempt at realism.

I would think that the blog of a young lady who consistently writes about her new-found experiences as she struggles through the challenges of independent adulthood would attract a great number of readers.

Just a thought.

He or she's got a point. However, I don't have a lot of money to live on my own. I don't know how to drive.

I am certainly trying to get and keep a job. I got a job at the $1 store years ago and I hated it, but I worked there all summer because I needed to put something on my resume. The thing is I can tough it out and am used to doing things that I don't like to do. Especially learning math in high school. It's very difficult, but I did pass it.

I definitely agree with that "Life experience is probably the single most factor in good writing." This author Anthony Horowitz who wrote the young adult novels about a 14 yr old boy spy Alex Rider gave this tip (paraphrasing): "Go out and live your life and do things, then go and write about it. If you sit in the dark, then you're only going to write about sitting in the dark."

Comparisons: It's been hours since I wrote the above. Come to think of it, I think a guy wrote it. I think the line that gave his gender away was: "get laid (it's really not that big of a deal." lol. I'm sure girls say that, but it does sound like a guy.

This guy kind of reminds me of my sister giving me a talk. The producer John Kerr giving me tips on how to write. Even a little like my friend Leslie. I've known her for years and she's living independently.

Job interviews: I went and did an interview at the jewelery store at West Ed. It was 5 min. long and there are 100 applicants. The interviewer said that they're always hiring and there's going to be another location at another mall. I don't think I got the job, but then again I don't really think it was a right fit for me.

I got to West Ed and was 30min early so I went and looked around. It took me an hr to get there so I'll make the most of it. I checked out Off the Wall, Lucky Brand, Below the Belt, Dynamite, and Bootlegger. I then took the bus from there straight to the fast food place. They said they're always hiring. The guy who interviewed me was between the ages of 18-24. I think I may have a higher chance of getting hired there. He does the first interviews, and give them to the manager. Then she looks at the applicants and does the hiring.

Research: Besides doing 2 interviews, I did call this company looking for a part-time receptionist. It was really far away, and there are 5 applicants they're choosing from already.

Jul. 14 Teen Mom: I saw a promo for this TV show yesterday, and I was so excited that there's going to be a second season. It will air on MTV on Tues. nights.

Rookie Blue: I read an article about it today that they're getting picked up for a second season when they only aired 3 episodes. Good for them.

Writing: I sent that Rain rewrite to the Writer in Residence Chris Craddock again. This script is one of the fishes I have to fry. That phrase is getting old now isn't it?

Lie to Me: It was on the other day, but the rain cut out my satellite TV. I then saw the rest of the ep on Globaltv.com. It's a really good episode. Let's start off with there was one Asian man who played apartment manager and had a substantial role in it. Then there was another Asian man who played a cop, but didn't say a line. That's some good ethnic diversity.

The episode was about a cop who got shot and there maybe dirty cops who killed him. It turns out it was dirty cops who did it because they were getting money/ rent off the tenants. Melissa George (Lauren from Alias) guest- starred again.

The best part about the ep was that I actually got a little teary- eyed. The cop who got shot is in the hospital and he's quadriplegic and Lightman can read his face. L translates what he says to his wife and his daughter. The couple were having a rough patch in their lives because he's always at work.

Cut to the cop's face. A tear rolls down his eye.
Wife: What's he saying now?
L: Nothing. He's gone.
Then the beeping starts and the wife and daughter hug their dad.
Just writing about it, got me teary- eyed again. The ep is called "Teachers and Pupils."

Analyze: I wrote the above hours ago. I noticed that Chris Craddock emailed me back and asked what's the point of the opening scene in Rain? That reminds me of something John Kerr asked about a scene in The Fighter. I know that every scene in a movie is supposed to bring the story forward.

Those scenes they pointed out does move the story forward. However, I guess the main point is that it's funny. I guess I should rewrite it so there is more of a point to it.

Job search: Today I went to an interview for a cell phone company. I never did an interview for one before. There are 2 positions at 2 different malls. I saw that there are 3 applicants who he already interviewed. I don't know if I'll get the job.

I was just talking to my friend Angela today and she said that it doesn't really matter how many applicants are applying. You could be the only one applying, and if they don't like you, they don't hire you. True. I like to know my chances.

Rant: Here's a mild rant. I tried to watch The Good Guys on Globaltv.com, but it's not there. Instead I went and read the 16 and Pregnant thread on twop.com. That's because I saw that Teen Mom promo.

Jul. 15 Bank: I did an interview at a bank today. He did ask me about why I should get hired and I told him that all the interviews I've done were for restaurants and retail. This is the best job interview from out of all of them.

The position is for facilities. I mainly set up meeting rooms and do a lot of cleaning. There are 7 people applying for 1 position. It's temporary like a yr.

Script: I finished making the changes to The Fighter. I was going through John's notes that were page by page of the script. Today it took about 3hrs to do that. I'm going to take a break for another couple of days and read his general notes on the script as a whole.

Work: I got a call from this company that pays $12/hr and has medical benefits. However, it's really far away, so I turned it down. There were a few companies that are hiring when I looked in the Edmonton Journal classifieds. They were also really far away.

Date: I went on a date today. Anonymous told me to go out and meet some new people on my blog and I did. This guy contacted me through the internet so we met for coffee. I don't think we really connected though.

We talked about TV and movies. Now that a couple of hours has passed since I met him, I think I had more fun watching Rookie Blue and Tosh.O today than with him.

No comments: