Wednesday, June 9, 2010

marriage proposal/ ADD/ change

June 6 Marriage proposal: This was on Yahoo News and it showed a guy creatively propose to his gf. He and 10 other guys danced to Metro Station's "Shake That." The guy changed his clothes during the number. The dancing wasn't too complicated or difficult, but there was a lot of energy in it.

It was so sweet. You have to laugh or at least smile at the performance. It was romantic and fun to watch. I was really entertained because he put a lot of thought into it. http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/yahoocanada/100605/canada/with_a_proposal_like_this_who_could_say_no

June 7 Stay positive: Today I got dismissed from my new job. I will give myself points that I worked full-time for two weeks here. That's longer than the last 4 jobs where I worked for 1 or 2 days. I then called Service Canada and had to go online to reactivate my EI claim again.

Comparisons: Here are some more I collected:

Serial killer videotapes murder: It occurred on The Mentalist. Criminal Minds did this with a guy murdering people on webcam, 3 guys videotaping a murder, and a guy with OCD filmed his murder.

Daughter marries, son graduates: I saw this in a commercial. On the canceled TV show Hawaii, a guy breaks out of jail to see his daughter marry. I saw this on Tru Calling too. A guy breaks out of jail to do the same thing.

Woman orders salad in a fast food commercial: I see that happen on Wendy's. Though I saw a Harvey's commercial of a woman buying a burger.

Shows making homage to the movie Rear Window: It was first done with The Simpsons where Bart breaks his leg and suspects Ned Flanders killed his wife.

Tru Calling did the same thing with her seeing a woman commit identity theft. Recently CSI: NY did an ep called "Point of View." Mac Taylor sees a man work on bio warfare. I think I saw a movie review about a guy suspecting his neighbor of terrorism.

Multiple stories on one episode: It was done on The Simpsons where there are 22 stories in one episode. On CSI, there are 4 mysteries in one ep.

Big tough guy takes care of kids: It's the "fish out of water" story. It's been done with Vin Diesel taking care of kids in The Pacifier and then Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson did that too.

ADD: A couple of weeks ago I finally saw the whole South Park episode where they make fun of ADD. I remember watching the first 5min of it back in summer 2002, after I recently got off the drug. Back then I didn't find it funny. One kid gets diagnosed, and he's Timmy who's mentally handicapped.

Then I predicted what's going to happen.
Me: Let me guess, the whole class gets diagnosed with ADD.
That's what happens and I left.

The whole ep did have some funny moments where the kids were getting Ritalin.

Kyle's mom: Kyle is so hyper-active. He runs around like a 8 yr old.
Kyle: Mom, I am 8.

The kids' personalities change by becoming unemotional robots. The parents watch a videotape about how to make your kids behave without taking drugs. Basically the doctor in the videotape was smacking the kids' heads and saying: "Shut up and study!"

It was an average episode. It was unrealistic in how the doctor diagnoses the kids by reading a big book to them and then asking questions about it. It's a cartoon so it's get a pass on realism.

Feelings: I've been feeling really upset all day after I was let go from my job. I did read 2 chapters of my Story by Robert McKee. I emailed my friends and put up my blog post. I wrote this weekly email. I reactivated my EI account.

I knew in my heart that I wasn't going to last at this job, and when I was first let go, I was happy and got out of there fast. I watched 5 hrs of TV today. I did some dancing to cheer me up. This is the kind of thing that I need some time to cool off.

Writing: I remember back in summer 2007, I was watching the Canadian TV show The Best Years. It had these group of guys rob the lead character Samantha and her friend at the bar they work at. S and her friend are locked up in a closet and can't call the police. That show inspired to me to write a scene where the characters fight back. It lead me to The Fighter opening scene.

A couple of weeks ago I saw the first 30min of A History of Violence. This movie came out in 2005, and I saw the trailer. It has the lead character Viggo Mortison run a diner, and he fights back 2 robbers. It was in the trailer. I loved the scene because it's how I would have written it. If you don't want to be spoiled by that scene, skip the next paragraph.

VM uses his coffee pot and smashes it into the head of Robber 1. VM grabs R1's gun and shoots at R2. R1 stabs VM's foot with his knife. VM shoots R1's head.

I remember in Creative Writing class I wrote a scene like that, and the teacher Jannie said I seem very vigilante. Vigilante is good for TV purposes. However in real life, I would just give them the money. Though I will try to memorize their faces if they're not wearing masks.

Funny: That reminded me of something even older, a Malcolm in the Middle ep had that. Lois works at a Shoppers Drug Mart kind of store. 2 Robbers held the employees hostage, and the Nerdy guy who works there won't give the safe combination. Then towards the end, Nerdy guy admits to Lois that he doesn't know the combination.

Lois: But you've been working here for years. How come you don't know it?
Nerdy guy: Because I was too embarrassed to admit it.

Then the Robbers diss Nerd. Nerd gets so mad, he grabs the safe and throws it. Then the safe opens and there is 1 stack of cash. Robbers take it and run away. That was so stupid and ridiculous. At least it's only 1 stack of cash so the Robbers didn't totally win. There is still an uplifting ending because no one got hurt.

This is from years ago, and I remember it. I do remember Nerd admits that he has a crush on Lois, but L tells him that they will never be together.

June 8 Job search: I had taken a break from my job search for 2 weeks when I was working full-time. Then I went and looked for a job on Sat. 2 days go by, and now I'm back on my job search with a vengeance.

I read this week's Job Classified, and there was nothing. I then found last week's issue on my desk and read the articles. I then look at the Edmonton Journal's Classifieds from yesterday. I bookmarked 4 helpful sites.

Surveys: I did a survey for Alberta Job Centre. It took less than a min. on the website. I found an ad in the Metro to do a survey for the U of A and got a $20 gift card at Coles/ Indigo/ Chapters book store. Then today I did an Alberta Views magazine survey. I like giving people my opinion when they ask for it.

I'm helping people and I've been working at call centres for nearly 2 yrs.

School: This email was about a week ago, but I asked my friend Chamnouer about CDI college. She went there and she says I should go to NAIT because it's a recognizable school. This was through Facebook email.

Change: Here's a 180 degree turn in a week. On my Facebook status on June 1, I said this: "Tracy Au has been busy with work since I got a full-time job. I also beat writer's block." My Professional Writing friend Wasan said: "Good for you!"

Now I don't have a job, but I have been reading a lot of Story by Robert Mckee to fight writer's block. I just emailed the EPL writer in residence Chris Craddock my new rewrite of Rain. I think the story progresses faster, and sets up the characters. A couple of characters got deleted.

No comments: