Sunday, May 30, 2010

good/ funeral home/ sayings

May 27 Good: Today I finished a 3rd day of work in a row. That's good considering I haven't had steady work for the past 2 months. I got an extra shift tomorrow. I'm cautiously optimistic. This girl who works there, she got sent home early yesterday and today.

She may get cut out, but so could I because businesses can fire you without reason in the first 3 months of employment. Yesterday 2 people came and dropped off their resumes.

Interesting: One of the guys who dropped of his resume also bought a drink and started talking to me.

Guy: So how long have you been working here?
Me: This is my second day.
Guy: Yeah, you seem to enjoy working here.
Then I realized that it's Bradley, my co-worker from Call Centre #3. I haven't seen him since Jan.

Job search: I emailed my high school friend Kayle on Facebook about my job search, and how I applied to Telus.

Kayle: I think you applied for both of the positions that are available at Telus, they usually take about 1-2 months to give you a call to come in and take the exam, then another few weeks for an interview then another month to find out if you got the job, so its a long process. But yea sadly I haven't had much luck finding a new job either, so good luck.

I asked him what's on the exam.

Teen pregnancy: I was reading the Metro and the Sex Information and Education Council of Canada released info about the rate of teen pregnancy.

Canada: Teen pregnancy decreased by 36.9% between 1996-2006.
US: Decreased by 25% between 1996-2006.
England and Wales: Decreased by 4.75%.
Sweden: Increased by 19.1%.

Quality sex ed and access to health services would help a lot, the article says. The council is a registered charitable organization funded by Trojan condoms. The jokes write themselves.

May 28 Thief: I need to get back to my writing. I haven't written anything for Rain since Feb. I have written a little, but it's not typed up. When it's not typed up, it's not to the level that I want.

Dark Angel: Let's analyze characters who are thieves like Max on Dark Angel. In season 1 she did that a lot. Then in season 2 she did it once because the show turned all X-Files and X-Men. Max steals to make money in a post-apocalyptic world in 2020. That's how she meets her friend/ love interest Logan in the pilot when she breaks into his place.

She mainly breaks into place besides making money, but also to expose corruption. She has to break in to infiltrate and get evidence. It's also sexier to see Jessica Alba in tight black clothes and sneaking around. There's also suspense and tension of "Will she get caught?" And when she does, she fights so there's action there. It makes it more exciting. The first season was in 2000-2001.

Alias: In 2001, Alias came out about a spy. There is the same thing with action, suspense, and tension of "Will she get caught?" How will she get out of this one? Maybe she fights, hides, or talks her way out of it. When I was writing back then, I tried to write like Alias.

Then I realized, most episodes is where Sydney travels to places to break in and steal evidence and things.

She Spies: This is a comedy of 3 beautiful ex-cons who become spies to work for the govt. to get a lighter sentence. There's some breaking and entering, but it's not very often.

CSI:NY: Nelly Furtado guest- starred and in the last scene she reveals in a few lines of why she steals. She left an abusive relationship with no money. She then starts stealing to survive on her own, and she she got really good at it. Then she is able to make a lot of money doing that. You do feel sympathy for her character because she was in a abusive relationship.

Shopping: Get Set closed down in City Centre mall. It's been replaced by another clothing store called 360 degrees. It sells clothes, soap, vases, and frames. Fairweather started selling shoes with their clothes.

Urban Planet closed down in Kingsway mall. It's been replaced by Suzy Shier. Dynamite moved into another bigger location in the mall.

Grand and Toy will always be in City Centre. There's Staples by the mall, but it's not in it. Shoppers Drug Mart sells stationary, but they sell everything. G&T doesn't have a lot of competition. The Soup place closed down because it was just another restaurant. It was the only place to sell soup and sandwiches though. Now it's replaced by Fat Burger and there already are a lot of restaurants that sell that.

Capilano mall is a dead mall. I didn't get any call backs there. It's like back in the late 90s when my sister was looking for a job. All the call backs she got was from West Ed mall. I should try that as my last resort.

Funeral home: This is a mild rant. I got a call from this funeral home I applied to be an administrative assistant at earlier this week. Then I called them today and then they said that position has been filled. If only I called them earlier, I might have gotten a job there. I was kind of annoyed that I was procrastinating, but I was really busy with my job and didn't have time to call them.

I called them the other day, but I was told that the manager wasn't there and to call between these hours. I'm not putting obstacles in front of myself. I'll admit, I wasn't totally interested in working at a funeral home. When I told my dad about that callback, he cracked a smile at it.
When I got that call, I was kind of eh with it and put off by working there.

I did see this documentary with the host Jon Dore and they analyzed happiness. They talked to a guy who worked at a funeral home and he was really happy. It gets depressing and I wouldn't feel comfortable working there. There is still good job security because death will always occur.

May 29 Alberta Lottery Fund: I was going through the AB govt. website and found the Alberta Lottery Fund. It's made of govt. share of net revenues from VLTs, slot machines and ticket lotteries. It's managed by Alberta Gaming and Liquor Commission. They give the revenues to charities to help people.

I don't remember hearing about ALF before. This is a good thing to donate so much money to a lot of charities.

Organized: I organized my bookmarks of my links. One folder that has to do with film and the other for Youtube. I also finally went and created the questions for my password at MacEwan. Now that window would stop popping up every time I check my school email. lol.

Analyze: I know why I'm so angry that I didn't get the job at the funeral home, even though I didn't really want to work there. It's because I feel like I didn't give it my best shot by going for an interview. However, I will take this as a sign that though I don't have a college diploma to be an administrative assistant, I can still get a call back.

I wrote the above hours ago. I told my dad.

Me: This is proof that I can get a administrative job without going to school.
Dad: Yeah, well then again how many applied for that position? 1, 2, or 3 people? Not that many people would want to work there.

Sayings: I was reading my horoscopes in People magazine at a newsstand. It said: "Organization is the key to success." That's true.

I saw this HSBC commercial. It said: "I rather regret things I have done, then things I haven't done."

I was thinking about these sayings during my job search. In the movie The Matrix: "Know thyself." It made me think of all my abilities and skills and what I'm capable of.

I remember this saying a long time ago, but I don't know where: "You want to make money, you get a job that you like. You want to make a lot of money, you get a job that you hate."

I don't really believe that. There are a lot of people who have it both ways, getting a job that they like and pays well. In some cases, yes. When I was working at a bank, I got paid $15/hr, but I didn't like it or was good at it.

Savage Chickens: I was talking to my friend Jessica on the phone and she told me about how to beat writer's block. Read comics at www.savagechickens.com. It's kind of funny. I have to read everything from internet and newspapers to find something to inspire me.

No comments: