Monday, March 15, 2010

job search/ dark jokes/ character arc

Mar. 11 Job search: I read in the Job Classified that Tim Horton's pays food counter attendants $10.59/hr and benefits. Just like McDonald's. I read the Chinese restaurant Pho Bin's on 79st. are hiring a kitchen helper for the same pay.

Mar. 12 Job: I did the math. I worked 58.5 hours this week. I'm like that Robin Thicke "Sex Therapy" lyric at the beginning: "Stressed out, uptight, overworked, wound up." lol. I love that song.

I had to do the closing with my manager. There is supposed to be another employee, but she couldn't come to work. She's at the hospital because her mother- in -law is going to be taken off life support.

CSI: NY: I was watching a rerun where the magician Criss Angel guest- stars playing a magician. He's the biggest guest-star so he's the guy who did it.

Dialogue: I think these writers and producers who read my scripts has had a big effect on me. Now when I watch this show, I realize that some of the dialogue doesn't seem realistic. Writers and producers tell me to work on my dialogue. I notice on CSI: NY, a character always has to say something to close the scene. The line has to have this big significance to it, even when the scene isn't an act break.

It's good to have the writers work hard and put effort in it. However, it's trying too hard and it's too obvious.

Dark jokes: I checked out the show Death Comes to Town on CBC. It's created from the guys in Kids in the Hall. It's a comedy. I saw the pilot and they made this dark joke. You may be offended.

Cut to a store window that said "Town abortionist." It looked like a store and not an abortion clinic.
Me: This is the first 5 min. into the pilot, and they're already making an abortion joke? Are they trying to do shock value? Because this would never happen in real life where an abortion clinic looks like a regular store.

I was watching this Tosh.O episode. Cut to a clip of a girl in a laundry basket and she's riding down the stairs like it's a sled.

Daniel Tosh: You should just call Planned Parenthood.
The audience says: "Ohhhh."
He didn't say the word abortion, he just made an abortion joke.

I remember years ago I was reading this advice column by Josey Vogels. It used to be in the Edmonton Journal. This woman wrote about her boyfriend saying that if she got pregnant, she should "just get an abortion." She says she's pro-choice, but doesn't want to go through with the procedure.

Josey: He says: "Just get an abortion." While you're at it, pick up the milk too.
Basically she's dissing him for his blase attitude towards abortion.

However, there are people out there who are like that. Remember that time I wrote about that out- of- control teen girl on Jenny Jones?

Jenny: So you got pregnant when you were 13?
Girl: Yeah.
Jenny: And you got an abortion?
Girl: Yeah.
Girl acted like "Whatever" with it. Jenny might as well be asking: "Did you pick up the milk?"

Funny joke: Onto something that's lighter and actually funny. Also in the Death Comes to Town pilot, this woman is trying to get her car started. However, she's been drinking. She does this breathalyzer test that's in her steering wheel. It says she can't drive. There should be cars out there that actually has these breathalyzer tests to prevent drunk people from driving.

But then, she gets her son to breath into the test, and since he hasn't been drinking, she goes and gets the car started. So if a car should exist, then it should do a DNA sample that only the owner can drive that car.

Mar. 13: I was thinking I should put "dancing" as a skill on my monster.ca profile. lol. I did go to Workopolis and look under Performing arts jobs. There are dance teacher jobs, but I didn't apply because I never took dance lessons.

Character arc: I was thinking about 16 and Pregnant. On the episode where Catelynn gives the baby up for adoption, her mom wanted her to keep the kid and raise it as her own. On twop.com, everybody was dissing the mom April. Then the show Teen Mom came on. It later showed an episode where April apologizes to Catelynn for not supporting her adoption and her bad behavior because she was disrespecting Catelynn. They hugged and cried. If this was a fictional show, then April had a character arc. She then redeemed herself.

There's the movie A Walk to Remember. Shane West's character was a jerk at the beginning of the movie. Then he falls in love, and he becomes a good guy. In Never Back Down, Sean Faris's character was an angry guy. He then learns mix martial arts and controls his anger that way. However, in the movie Fighting, Channing Tatum's character doesn't go through a character arc.

I did do some jotting of ideas of a out- of- control teen girl on the Maury show. She wants to get pregnant and I have to write it so she redeems herself. It's hard to make this unlikeable character become likable.

Adoption: I saw an Oprah episode where this woman gave a baby girl up for adoption. 42 years later, she was reunited with her daughter. The woman was sympathetic. She ran away from home when she was 15 because her parents beat her. She was homeless for a few months until she realized she was pregnant.

She gave the baby up for adoption. Now she's married, has a son, and is a successful woman on Wall street.

Lookalike: I was watching the TV show My Life as Liz because it was on right after 16 and Pregnant. The girl who plays Liz looks like my friend Ray. I sent her the pic on Facebook, and she and her mom said that they do look like each other. lol.

Song: This is an old song that I like. It's called "One Headlight" by the Wallflowers. They were a one hit wonder.

Job advice: I talked to my dad this morning and he said that working as a receptionist at a beauty salon is "a step in the right direction." The job may not have any benefits, but it does make me interact with people. Get a job at the government, even if it's entry level. Then you can get a pension when you retire.

Mar. 14: I have one more abortion joke, and then I will stop. It's from Daniel Tosh where he said: "I heart abortions, but you don't see Urban Outfitters making t-shirts out of that saying."

Giles Panton: I was watching Human Target with my sister, and then the actor Giles Panton pops in as this woman's date. I was like: "Ahh! Giles Panton!" I put that up on my Facebook status and on GP's Facebook wall.

Actors: It was kind of interesting. I saw Kevin Weisman on the show too. He played a tech geek Marshal on Alias and he's typecast again by playing a geeky engineer on Human Target. Human Target and The OC are produced by McG. That's why Autumn Reeser who played Taylor on The OC is now on this new show.

I'm going to admit I actually watched a repeat of the awful show Secret Life of the American Teenager. I only watched it, because there was a part that wasn't put on Youtube. I then saw the actress who played Gayle on The Vampire Diaries. She only made an appearance on SLAT. It's a good thing that she can work her way up to do more work on good TV shows like Vampire Diaries.

I caught some CSI: NY today, and I saw Shaeline Woodley! She plays the lead Amy on SLAT. In this episode, she plays a bad guy. I read that she was on The OC as Marissa's little sister in a few episodes in the first season. It was a tiny part. Then in season 4, when Marissa's little sister came back from boarding school, they got a new girl to play her. Then again, the little sister was hardly part of the show in the first 3 seasons.

Reminder: Yeah, I've been working a lot in the past two weeks. I didn't have a day off at all. I didn't do much of a job search, but I can sure make hours to watch TV. Yeah, well my little brother was on the new computer doing school work. I could use the old computer to do my job search, but it's from 1998, and it's really slow. That's why I didn't use it.

Though I was watching Human Target, and a character said something about their covert job (paraphrasing): "There are no benefits, no job security, I'll take what I can get." It reminded me to look for a job with benefits and job security.

No comments: