Friday, March 5, 2010

inspiration/ performance on demand/ school

Mar. 2 Inspiration: I borrowed Colbie Caillat's cd "Breakthrough." It's an average adult contemporary cd. In it she wrote this:

"For a lot of us, when life gets hard to deal with and keep up with, it becomes easier to give up on and let go of. I found myself doing that a lot and I was slowly falling apart. But...I woke up from it. I realized I wasn't happy settling for less or letting myself become someone I wasn't supposed to be due to laziness. I had to Breakthrough my fears, my insecurities, and my self doubt.

There are so many battles we all have to go through in life that are for us to learn from, we grow stronger from them. I just learned this. I want to remind myself and everyone out there that we have to Breakthrough all the little things we tell ourselves we can't do because we are scared, and just step up and do them. This record is about becoming the person you want to be, having will power and letting nothing hold you back. So try not to let great things pass you by, start making things happen that you really want in life! I hope these words help you, if you are in need of them."

Cliche: By watching TV shows, I can catch cliches. I am then able to catch cliches in my script. This happens so often in 90210 where Character A wants to get with Character B. Then A sees B with Character C, so A doesn't go and make a move. I'll admit I did that once in The Fighter. In earlier drafts there were two instances, but now it's down to one.

Mar. 3 Progress: I went and counted to all the places I applied at.

Nov. 2009: 22 careers
Dec. 2009: 5 careers
Jan. 2010: 18 jobs
Feb. 2010: 39 careers

I applied to Wal-Mart yesterday. Overall 85 resumes and positions. This also counts the profiles I set up on employment websites.

I pitched my script to a production company today.

I applied to the Journal and the YMCA as an administrative assistant today.

Performance on demand: I learned this phrase when reading about the Olympics. Canadians won 14 gold medals on our land in this Winter Olympics. It's performance on demand because the Canadians are cheering for our athletes.

This reminds me of my own past.I had to pass Applied Math 20 so I could get into Applied Math 30. I pushed myself so hard to pass and I did. I did the same in Applied Math 30 so I could graduate out of high school. Though I did have to upgrade next year. I took Pure Math 30 and passed it. The stakes were high because I needed a good mark in that class to get into college.

The same goes for finishing my The Fighter script. This production company Super Channel told me that they won't read my script until I get it to 90 pages. I was at 66 pages when I emailed them, so I then pushed myself to get the 90 pages.

It's the same with Josh Miller from Panacea Entertainment. He says he will read my script when I have 90 pages. It's in the 60 pages mark for Rain.

Funny: Did you know that NDP leader Jack Layton can speak Chinese, specifically Cantonese? His wife is Chinese. He lives with his mother-in-law. He was on the Rick Mercer Report and they kind of did a Cribs episode where they toured his environmental house.

They showed the bedroom.

RM: This is where the magic happens.

I was pleasantly surprised to hear JL speak Chinese to his mother-in-law. They ate some Chinese food and JL dropped a piece of food from his chopsticks.

RM: Glad that wasn't me.

There is a banner that said: "Get Well Soon Jack!" There are also "Get Well" cards.

JL: 25,000 men this year will get prostate cancer and they will have to tell their loved ones about it. I live in the public so I feel I should tell people about it.

Mar. 4 School: For the record I'm going to say this. I'm not going back to school. I got a college diploma in Professional Writing. That was expensive with tuition and books. I already did a year at NAIT and didn't graduate. I also took 3 classes in the Arts and Cultural Management program at MacEwan which went to my Professional Writing diploma. It was 3 and a half years to get diploma.

I'm not going to put any more time and money into school. I have thought about school like maybe I should take an administrative assistant course. However, I'm not totally interested in it. I have to be really interested in something to do well at it. If not, I have to do it so I can get something that I want.

It's like taking math. I hate that class because I'm not good at it, or interested in it. I pushed myself so hard to pass so I could get into college and take something that I want and to do as a career.

I have thought about culinary school, because I like working at a restaurant. I see "Help Wanted" postings for cooks and they pay like $15/hr which is good. But I'm not totally interested in it.

Mar. 5: Well I'm more interested in culinary school than being an administrative assistant.

Good: It's a good thing that Treats didn't hire me because the Soup place really needs me this month.

Job search: Looking for a job is like applying for colleges. I need more pressure and stress to get an office job. It's called performance on demand. I put so much time and effort to get into college because one of my goals in life was to get a college diploma. Second, my parents wanted me to get one too.

Maybe that's why it's harder for me to get an office job. I didn't start looking for one until summer 2008 because my parents told me to. Well they do know the job market.

This search is different from 2008. No staffing agencies, and no garbage jobs. Well a little like in Jan. 2010 I did apply at some garbage jobs like retail. That's because the call centre wasn't giving me any hours at all and neither was the Soup place. Now it's time to divert my energy and type up 30 more pages for Rain so Josh Miller can read it.

Music: I was watching Flashpoint episode "Between Heartbeats" and they played Matthew Good's song "Weapon" at the end of it. This aired in 2009. I remember they used this song at the end of an Alias episode where Marshall gets kidnapped. That ep aired in 2003 when the song first came out. Both are dramas with a poignant ending.

I was watching a 90210 ep and they aired Ryan Adam's song where he covers Oasis's "Wonderwall." I remember they aired that song on Smallville. The endings are supposed to be deep.

Darkness: I finally finished watching this movie. I saw the first half of it on TV, and then I let Patrick watch his show. It aired again so I caught the last half of it. It stars Lena Olin and Anna Paquin. It's about a family who moves into this old house and it's creepy and scary. I find it to be an average movie.

By watching it, it reminded me of Scary Movie 3. There was a scene where Pamela Anderson and Jenny McCarthy are making fun of the movie The Ring. There is this phone ringing in the house. The line was: "That is so weird. There is only one phone in this big of a house?"

There was only one phone in the big house in Darkness. However, they just moved into the house, so by all means they only put up one phone. The movie was kind of slow like the other horror movie Dark Water. It wasn't totally scary. I didn't like the ending.

Joke: I was reading in The Globe and Mail where a writer disses the show Accidentally on Purpose. He says: "No one watches this show on purpose. People watch it because it's on right after How I Met your Mother or they want to tune in before Two and a Half Men."

No comments: