Monday, March 22, 2010

friends/ psychology/ W5

Mar. 19 Friends: My friend Angela dropped by the Soup place tonight. That was a pleasant surprise. We had a chat. She's on the look out for a job for me too. She said at the U of A, there are administrative assistant jobs that pays $30/hr. It's high stress and you have to multi-task. I don't think I can do it.

Quote: I thought about that Henry Ford quote: "Whether you think you can do it or you can't, you're right." I must remember not to put obstacles in front of myself.

16 and Pregnant: I was on the 16 and Pregnant thread and I thought this was interesting:

Person: Dr. Drew was rude, and a little old-fashioned by focusing on the guy wanting condomless sex rather than on girls learning to stand up for themselves.

Person 2: "Maybe he was harder on Gary because he was already a grown man having sex with a teenager (like dumbass Ryan, who Dr. Drew was also particularly hard on). By all means Amber could have and should have been more assertive and said "no glove no love" but in this case there was a big difference in maturity levels between a 14 year-old virgin and a sexually experienced 18 year old man.

Same goes with Maci and Ryan. Unlike Ryan I commend Gary for stepping up and being a good dad, but IMO both of these guys deserved to be taken to task for their irresponsibility, more so because they as grown men chose to date girls who were still in high school. I also question why these girls' parents were OK with these guys in the first place and didn't outright demand their daughters be on birth control (I don't buy Maci's excuse that her mom didn't have enough time to give her the talk)."

Psychology: The thread talked about how we socialize girls to be less assertive, and a people pleaser mainly to men. Well there are a lot of articles in women magazines teaching women how to get what they want, and learn to say no to things and people. Yeah, well we socialize men to tough it out. I remember in Eng. class in Centre high, men have more health problems because they don't go to the doctor.

When a woman has a health problem, they go to the doctor. Men have always been socialized to tough it out when they get hurt. By the time they're 50 years old, and they have a chest pain, they tough it out, when really they should be going to doctor.

Mar. 20 Good news: I just read that Demi Moore helped prevent a 18 yr old guy from committing suicide through Twitter. He emailed Demi on Twitter that he was going to commit suicide, DM asked if he needed help, and he said yes. The actress Nia Valdaros saw the post, she called a suicide prevention centre, and they called the police.

The police came to his house, and they found the guy crying on his computer. This is the second time DM saved someone from suicide. A woman emailed her on Twitter about harming herself.

Fun: What a coincidence, but my other friend Silivia dropped by the Soup place today. She came to pick up her T4, and I told her we were closing down the restaurant by the end of the month. We chatted a bit. She asked if me I lost weight, lol. I don't know because I don't weigh myself.

S: You worked here for 2 and a half years?
Me: More like 2 years. Specifically 1 yr and 9 months.

Funny rant: Yesterday I was talking to my manager Steven about how one worker can't work on Sunday.

Me: Ask Emily.
S: I don't want her to be overworked.
Me: So? When I worked here before you hired Emily and Lisa, I was overworked. Before you hired them, I always said to hire one or two people.
S: I like to hire full- time people. It's also about finding the right people if they're reliable and going to be here.
Me: Or you could hire a part- time, temporary, on- call person. But I doubt anyone would want that kind of job.

Then today I was talking to my other manager Stella, and told her to get Emily to work.
S: But she has a husband, and I think she wants to spend time with him.

Anyway, E ended up being able to work on Sunday after all, so that's good. I guess I'm annoyed because I have a family too. Well it's different though. I'm not married, and I don't have kids.

Actors: I was watching Flashpoint which is shot in Toronto. I saw three actors from three other TV shows and movies that are also shot in the same city. The talent agent from The Best Years guest- starred. It took me 5 min. into the ep to place him. The guy who played the boyfriend came in at 10 min. and I knew him right away. I saw him on the show Fries with That? and the movie Shattered Glass.

48 min. into the show, I recognized the kid.
Me: Hey, that's the kid who plays the younger version of Toby on The Listener!
lol.

Buffy: I saw a commercial that Muchmusic is airing Buffy the Vampire Slayer on weeknights. When I saw that, I said: "Oh my God!" That kind of reflects me back on the days when Space channel started airing it in Sept. 2001 on syndication. They were in their 6th season then. I watched it every night because I missed the first three seasons.

I didn't get into the show until the 4th season. Eventually, Space started phasing it out, and aired it really late like at midnight when it used to be on at 6pm. I love that show. I think I may have missed a few episodes in the last 7th season though.

Blog: Oh my God guys, another person other than my friends and family read my blog. This person Pallas commented on "poetic/ crazy news/ stay positive" post and said: "This is an interesting post." I clicked on the name, and it's to a medical insurance company. Now that's interesting.

Mar. 21 Lookalike: I was IMing with Cameron, my friend Ray's little brother/ old co-worker on Facebook. I sent the picture of the girl who plays Liz on My Life as Liz.

Me: Do you think this girl looks like Ray?
Cameron: Woah.
lol. Ray, and her mom also agree.

Mar. 22 W5: I was watching W5, and here's a warning for you. Beware of Jesse Wilms, because he is a scam artist. He lives in Sherwood Park and he's in charge of Just Think Media. He scammed people by creating websites that say "Have a free trial." You give him your credit card, and address so he charge a $2 shipping fee. But really, he's charging you automatically for $80/month on your credit card bill.

You have to read the fine print, where you have to cancel within the first like 3 days so he won't keep charging you every month. He is pretty much not only scamming people, but big corporations who do things legit. W5 interviewed Dr. Oz. I already saw him on 20/20, but he said the same thing: "If you see my face on a website promoting something, it means it's fake and stay away from it."

W5 reports that Jesse Wilms got a F for his Just Think Media from the Better Business Bureau. There are many complaints against him. JW dropped out of high school and he's 22 years old and making hundreds of thousands of dollars illegally. I have seen an ep of Oprah where someone who doesn't graduate out of high school is more likely to end up in prison.

The W5 camera crew try to get JW at his parking lot when he's trying to get to his car. That kind of reminds me of the days I used to watch Cheaters where a camera crew catches people cheating on each other.

The other part is Tammy Wynn is released from prison after being wrongfully convicted for killing her baby. Blame it on the paleontologist who did a crappy job on the autopsy. She spent 10 years in prison, and this other guy went to prison after being wrongfully convicted too. He spent 12 years in prison.

At least the paleontologist apologized, and is exposed on national TV. The host Victor Malerek talked to a politician about what the punishment for the paleontologist Charles Smith should get. Well W5 crew kind of ambushed him in the lobby after work. The politician kind of gave a vague answer that he's working on it.

2 comments:

evision said...

www.onlineuniversalwork.com

Anonymous said...

I've recently found your blog, and have read through all of it. I just have a couple of honest opinions to share with you, and hopefully my bluntness will not offend you.

First of all, I had a really hard time following what you are trying to say. Your grammar is horrible, and I think you should really work on that if you really truly want to be a writer.

Secondly, you sound like you are in middle school. Sorry, but some of my students can write a lot better than that.

Sorry, but I think your writing really needs some work; structurally and logically.

Sincerely,
The English Major