Thursday, January 21, 2010

job search/ 18 to Life/ subtext

Jan. 18 Job search: Stop complaining about your job, and start look for another one. Today I passed out my resume to the following places:

1. Treats (Canada Place). I worked at a Treats before. I recognized the manager here, because he used to be the manager at Pasta Deli in City Centre. Sbarro has replaced Pasta Deli.
2. Ardene's (City Centre.) I worked there before, and I do have occasional contact with my old manager Dani on Facebook.
3. C'Est Sera, a clothing store in downtown. I never applied there before.
4. Sobey's. I applied there before in 2008.
5. Audrey's Bookstore. I applied there back in 2006 when I got laid off. My friend Sarah still works there.

6. Rexall. I never applied there before.
7. Marble Slab Creamery. They sell ice cream.
8. Mongolian Asian Grill. They said they weren't hiring, but they took my resume.

Weird: I went to another Treats, but they said they weren't hiring. I went to one and they're closed for renovations. Another one was closed for inventory. Another one was closed. It must be some sign for me to not work there?

Feelings: I got fresh air and exercise. I did something productive by going on a job search. However, I feel depressed. I am embarking on yet another job search. It reminds me of the line that Shane West's character Landon says in A Walk to Remember: "I am sick and tired of doing the same s--- all the time." The only good thing is that I am reading about Haiti and I see other people have it worse. It gives you perspective.

18 to Life: I finally checked out this new Canadian sitcom. It's on CBC. It's about two 18 yr olds who get married. I'm annoyed at people who get married before they're 25. However, this is a fictional show and it's a comedy so don't take it seriously. It stars Stacey Farber (Ellie from Degrassi) so that's good. Also they're getting married because they love each other, and not because they're pregnant. A lot of people under 25 (and over 25) get pregnant and get married. If they got pregnant, than it wouldn't really be funny.

This show is so Canadian. They mentioned Michael Buble (Canadian) and Arby's (also Canadian.) lol.

Community: While I'm at it, I did check out that other sitcom called Community. It's mainly mature students (people over 24) going to community college. It's kind of funny.

The Listener: In good news, you can watch The Listener on A-Channel Mon. nights.

Happy: I was watching Heroes, and David Anders appeared! I was so happy. I put that up on my Facebook status. lol.

Saying: I was watching Little Mosque on the Prairie and this guy said: "They put bits of information into one cohesive whole. I don't do that. I'm an investigative journalist." lol. I love that line. My weekly emails/ blog posts are that. You may think: "It's more of a patchwork since you put different topics into one thing."

My scripts are bits of information put into a cohesive whole. Well, or at least that's what I aspire to. lol.

Flashback: Today my sister showed me her blog where she watches Castle and puts all these pics of the actors together. She sees how they always wear similar fashion in all the episodes. That reminded me way back in 2002. I was looking up the old TV show Ghostwriter.

Someone did this piece called "The Shirt." It's where 3 different characters wear the same plaid shirt in different episodes. There were pics. I was like: "I never noticed that before. Good eye." lol.

Jan. 19 Shopping: Did you know that Oriental Home in City Centre mall is closing down? I wasn't really surprised because they always had these big signs about 50% off. It's kind of like New York Styles that had those signs and it closed down recently. Also Le Gnome in West Ed mall is closing down. It sells kitchen supplies so stock up if you want. Bus: I read in the Metro that buspasses will go from $74.25 to $81.50. Damn. Busfare will go from $2.50 to $2.75.

Guns: I'm sure you have heard about a woman who was pointing a fake gun to her neighbors, and the police told her to put it down. They then shot her. I saw the pic where they compare a real gun to a fake one, and they both look really similar. I'm with the cops on this one.

In 24, it said "suicide by cop" is where people who don't want to hurt anyone is goading the police to shoot them. It is "12% of all police-involved shootings in North America." I always thought the definition of "suicide by cop" is police shooting the suspect, and the person dying because the cops shot him. I remember reading that in the newspaper too.

Romantic: I was reading in 24 about a "How we Met" story. Bobby (24) knew this girl Coriana (23) when they were kids. Bobby moved away when he was 9 and 14 years later, Coriana added him as a friend on Facebook. They talked everyday after that, and one month later he went to Vancouver for New Year's.

The next summer he moved to BC and they're getting married. Awww...I don't know why this story I have to type it up. I read other stories in there, and they're nice everything, but I guess this one stood out because after 14 years, they find each other. lol.

Joke: That reminds me of a joke that Jimmy Fallon made a long time ago. JF (paraphrasing): In the news, this man and woman have been apart for 20 years. Her mom found this letter that he wrote to her when she was cleaning the fireplace. She then gave it to her daughter, and now she is getting married to him. That sounds like a movie that your boyfriend doesn't want to see.lol.

Money: I've been watching my money even more closely, because I'm not working much. I used a coupon to get free coffee at A&W, used my $25 HMV gift card to buy the Flash Gordon dvds (only spent $6) , and used my $20 Tim Hortons gift card. Those were my Christmas gifts. I didn't spend any money last week.

Jan. 20 Channing Tatum: I was watching some TV and I saw the trailer called Dear John. I saw an ad on the internet about it. It stars Channing Tatum as a soldier and he falls in love with a girl played by Amanda Seyfreid. He then is stationed away. It comes out Feb. 5 in time for Valentine's day.

Me: I can see him playing a soldier. He kind of did in GI Joe.
Patrick: Yeah, and Stop- Loss.
Me: Oh yeah!

Writing: Today I emailed another producer pitching my script. I got some motivation yesterday when the customer John came into the Soup place and asked how my script was going. I told him I got 50 pages on Rain. Next time, I should have more. I typed up 3 more pages today and yesterday. I had written it, but typing it adds another level to it making it permanent.

Subtext: I was thinking about Ghostwriter again, and besides an essay about "The Shirt", there was one about "Rob and Lenni?" There seemed to be subtext that these characters liked each other. It made me think of my own script. Does it seem that Eddie likes Rain? There are two instances where it seems Eddie is protecting Rain from these two guys who she seems to be interested in.

That brings another flashback of years ago like late 90s from this YM magazine. These girls are asking guys for advice. I remember my sister saying: "I agree with everything this one guy says, and the other five guys are just stupid."

There is one question: "I told a guy friend how I felt and he said he's not interested. But when I tell him that I have a crush on other guys, he says they're not good enough. What does he mean?" The guy that my sister agrees with says: "This guy is playing you. He likes that you like him and he wants you to be interested in him. Forget that guy, and go out with someone else." I agree.

No comments: