Wednesday, February 4, 2009

news/ music/ picking up

Jan. 31 News: I was watching this W- Five special presentation called Dangerous Obsession: The Stalking Epidemic. It profiled 2 women and a man. One woman was stalked by a guy when she was in high school in the 1970s. Then in the 80s she got married and at the wedding she got family members posted at all the exits to make sure the stalker wouldn't show up. She even planned how if she was ever confronted by her stalker, she would go to her baby's room and lock the door. Put the dresser in front of the door. Get her phone and go into the closet to dial 911. Then if he managed to break through, she would take her baby and climb out the window where there is an emergency ladder with her baby.

She had made a conscious decision to not have more than one kid. If she did have more than one, she wouldn't be able to carry two kids down the ladder. She also made a decision to not go to college because she wanted to be close to her family and needed that safety net. Later technology came and she got caller ID and never picked up the phone when it was him. He made a threat to kill her. She then called the cops and pressed charges on him. He went to jail for a year. She and her family moved away and changed their names, and removed their identities from the public records. He was released from jail, and then he was murdered at his halfway house.

They covered a story of a man who was a swim coach at this university. This one female student interacted with him five times over the summer. Then she starts leaving gifts for him. She then starts stalking him. The guy Liam goes and straight- up tell her he's not interested in dating her and to not leave him gifts. She cries and runs out.Then she starts calling him, and whenever he knows it's her, he hangs up. He talks to the school's harassment centre, and they tell him to ignore her. It's also good to record everything. She was sending these sexually explicit emails to him, and he never responded. He kept all of them. Then he calls the police, and a female cop tells him that he's being stalked and he needs to press charges on her. He does.

Then the stalker makes it seem like he's the bad guy. She accuses him of date- rape and being in a abusive relationship. He hires a lawyer and Liam wasn't there in court. The people in court believed the stalker, and Liam lost his job. Then Liam hired another lawyer. Liam got the media involved. The woman then went into hiding from the media. The university apologized and gave him his job back.

They profiled a woman named Karen, and her face wasn't shown. She was at work and was introduced to a co-worker. He asks her out. She says no. Next week he asks again, and she says no. Then he asks again and she says no and provides a reason that she wants to focus on her career. Then he starts leaving gifts for her. She tells him that she's not interested and gives this card back. He lashes out at her.She tells her manager. She tells the police. Then later he gets fired after he was intimidating her after the cops got involved. Then later she had to quit her job. She moved to Canada and she did press charges on him. He was in jail for three years which is a long time for stalking. He got counts of mischief, and harassment.

Feb. 1 Music: I borrowed the Sarah Bereillis cd from the library last week. She had that single called "Love song." I actually found myself like tracks like: "Vegas", "Morning Side", the ballad "Gravity" and my fave track "Come Round Soon."

Motivation: I feel like I'm lacking motivation, inspiration, and fire into getting a real job. Well last summer I got a lot of fire in me by passing out over 100 resumes. Then I got a job at bank, worked there for a month, and went back to making soup and sandwiches for another four months. I thought there was no point in trying to look for a real job because I was going to go back to school.

Now it turns out that I don't have to go back to school. What did I do for the four days I had off last month? I went to West Ed, and only passed out 24 resumes in that month. I need to get myself out there.

Writing: Less talk, more action. I spent 80 minutes reading, editing, and did a little more writing on The Fighter. I wrote one more page. In total I have 64 pages. I'm getting there.

Feb. 3: Good news guys. Pauline from Media Masters emailed me saying that they aren't producing movies this year. Though she rejected me, she did tell me to go to Panacea Entertainment. Then I went through my papers, and saw that Terri from Dynacor Media told me about it too when I did that job interview with her last summer. Except I think she said Panacea Productions and that lead me to this London production company.

Anyway, today I went to www.panaceaentertainment.com and it's a great website. I then emailed them my script pitch. It was interesting to read the submission policy. They said they wanted to know a few lines about the writer, and a few lines about the script. They want a draft already. Man, I am getting excited. I then emailed them.

I was on twop.com reading about Law and Order: SVU and I found this really interesting and thought- provoking comment: "This is something that I have discussed with various other people, in terms of wondering why rape is not covered as a hate crime (it IS picking a victim based on membership of a specific subset of the population to commit an action that subsequently terrorizes a larger part of the population). This is dealt with in the Derrick Jensen book The Culture of Make Believe.

Dave Franco: I was watching Privleged with my sister and there is this guy Zach played by Dave Franco. I thought he was cute so I looked him up. It turns out he is the little brother to James Franco. Here's a pic of him:
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2002649/

When I see D smile, I see J's eyes and teeth.

Feb. 4 The Listener: I got another email from the Facebook group The Listener TV show. They interviewed the cast members, and show clips giving a back story of it. I am so inspired watching it. Here's a trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jheIu56yU4A

Picking Up: I saw a little bit of Primetime: What would you do? on Yahoo today. It's about what would bystanders do if they saw a guy aggressively hit on a woman. The bystanders invited the woman to sit with them, and told the guy to back off. Here's how to turn down a guy with these lines:

"I have a boyfriend."
"I'm gay."
"I only date black guys." (Or any race other than his.)

On the show, that guy was asking for her phone number and the actress was acting uncomfortable saying that she doesn't know him. She should have given him a fake phone number or give an email address like ihatemen@yahoo.com. I saw that in a cartoon with a woman saying that to a guy once. lol.

I also read these lines in The Action Hero's Handbook by David Borgenicht and Joe Borgenicht. It's a fun book published by Quirk Books. There is stuff on how to fight skills, escape skill, and love skills like how to get someone to stop hitting on you.

"Where have you been all my life?"
"Hiding from you."

"Haven't I've seen you someplace before?"
"Yes, that's why I don't go there anymore."

"What do you do for a living?"
"I'm a male/ female impersonator."

"What's your sign?"
"Do not enter."

No comments: