Friday, February 27, 2009

economy/ drive/ law

Feb. 24 Economy: Also from the same article in the Edmonton Journal it said this: "...Canadian Restaurant and Foodservices Association is expecting restaurant revenues to fall by $575 million- and those are the places that manage to stay open at all. The lean economy has already claimed such eateries as Boba, a celebrity haunt in Toronto, and Montreal's Picasso, which withstood nearly 30 years of ups and downs before closing its doors this month. At Vicker's upscale Chicago Chophouse, recently named Calgary's restaurant of of the year by Where magazine, traffic is down by 25 per cent since September."

Could the Soup place be next?

Question: I was checking my mymacewan email and there is survey for school. I did it and the first question was this: "What is the single most important factor for you when choosing a career or an employer?"

That is a good question. My answer was: "To enjoy what I do."

Reminiscence: I haven't seen Dateline: To Catch a Predator in months. I am still sad that they're not making any more episodes. I can still hope that they change their minds. Or maybe America's Most Wanted and W-Five who copied them will continue to make more episodes. In America, they got Miss Teen USA to post pics of herself as a teen and she is the decoy. Then the host John Walsh ambushes the predator and starts yelling at him and stuff.

It's quite different from Chris Hansen reading from the chat transcript. It seems like he's conducting a job interview. He says: "In the transcript you say..." It sounds like a manager saying: "On your resume you say..."

Drive: Yesterday I stopped procrastinating and called the driving school. Patton the driving instructor called me back today after he looked at the schedule. He says he will call me in March.

Feb. 25 Art: Today was my day off and I passed out my resume to the Winspear Centre and the Citadel theatre to work at the box office. I got a flashback of the last time I was at those places back in 2001 for school. I was in choir and I performed at the Winspear. I also went to the Citadel for English class to watch the play The Number 14 which is about a bus and funny and crazy things occur while riding it.

After that I went and bought my buspass. I also flipped through a new Seventeen magazine. Then I went and passed out my resume to the National Bank. In total, I passed out 18 resumes this month. Last month I passed out 24 resumes.

Contests: I picked up a Metro today and I saw that there was a contest. I went to www.metronews.ca to win a double guest pass to see Watchmen, 1 of 6 iPod Touch, and 1 of 30 Watchmen swag bags. Then I went and competed to win one of Leona Lewis's cd.

Winter: Here is a mild rant. Today was -19C. I had to shovel snow in the morning. Then I went and took the bus to downtown. On the bus I did bump into Danny Luu and we talked about school. He did say that one of the students couldn't get exempted from these computer classes though he took 2 years at Nait and know how to use all these computer programs. I'm glad I'm not the only one who felt that way. Though I took one year at Nait, and I took the Computer Applications class in the Arts and Cultural Management program.

I may not have been exempted, but that Computer Applications class did give me credits that I could use as my electives. After I got off the bus, some time later I realized I lost my gloves on there. Well at least it's the cheap yarn gloves. Maybe someone else will take them and it will have a good home.

I'm mainly annoyed at the weather. I could have passed out way more resumes if it wasn't so cold. I was dressed warmly, but forget it.

News: In Metro, there is 33% increase in applying for employment insurance in British Columbia. In Alberta it is a 30% increase since last year.

Feb. 26 Movie: Heath Ledger did a movie called The Imagination of Doctor Parnassus. In the middle of the production, he passed away. Then Jude Law, Collin Farrel, and Johnny Depp came and played different parts of Ledger's role.

I saw Resident Evil: Apocalypse on TV today. I saw the first one back in 2004. My friend Leslie brought her dvd over and we saw it together. I liked the first one. Lots of action. This second one was really good too. Sure there are a lot gun shooting, but there are really good choreographed fight scenes.It was scary, and I screamed a couple of times. It was fun to watch. Lots of guns, explosions. There was also LJ, who was the funny black guy. You do need some humour in this movie.

Pretty Bloody: Last night I saw a documentary called Pretty Bloody about women working as actors, directors, and writers in the horror film industry. They interviewed Jovanka Vuckovic who is the editor at Rue Morgue magazine. She has bright red and blonde hair, with tattoos.

JV: Whenever I go take a flight, people ask me: "Are you a musician?" I'm like "No." They ask: "Are you a tattoo artist?" I'm like "No. I write for a horror magazine."

They talked to writer Tanya Huff who wrote the Blood Books, which then became a TV series called Blood Ties which is really good. I've only seen the show. They also talked to Pet Semetary director Mary Lambert: "People who don't like working for a woman authority, yeah well I can fire them." She laughs. They talked to the actress Brinke Stevens: "I was being filmed. The director then got the camera guy to pan up to my face, because the camera guy was actually filming my chest." lol.

Feb. 27 Dollhouse: I watched Dollhouse tonight, and I heard Eliza Dushku sing acapella for the first time. Her character Echo was to be the backup singer for this popstar Rayna. It was a good ep. This show kind of reminds me of the cartoon show Odd Job Jack. Jack works at a staffing agency, and every week he does a different job just like Echo does. I have seen ED dance on Buffy and Angel. She is a really good singer. I don't know about ED doing a cd.

New: I borrowed the Fiest cd from the library. It's an average cd. It's adult contemporary and I don't really find it something I can dance to. I tried out the product by Biotherm, this skin cream. I found a way to get a free sample, so I tried it out. It's good.

Writing: Conni Massing emailed me back and says that she will call me and we can discuss my script together.

Law: Another thing is that I was thinking about this situation. You know I mentioned about Miss Johnston saying that there was a girl in gr.7 or 8 and she's in a religion that doesn't allow her to talk to boys. Well I thought up this new situation. What if Miss J said: "There is a boy in gr.7 or 8, and he's been charged with aggravated assault. If he breaks the law again in any way from shoplifting, to underage drinking, he will go to juvenile hall. At 16, that could hurt him in trying to get a job because he has a criminal record. It's not until he's 18, does those records become sealed."

I'm thinking the students would be asking: "Can you tell me who he is? You shouldn't be protecting a kid who has been charged with aggravated assault. You should protect the student body by knowing who he is." However, in real life, there is the Youth Criminal Justice Act, where you can't name names. The teacher can't tell who the kid is, because of the Youth Criminal Justice Act. By all means, there are kids who find out who the kid is, and then treat him differently when they know what he's done.

No comments: