Saturday, January 3, 2009

Short Fiction Forms entries 7, 8, 9

Entry 7 Oct. 12, 2007

You create landscape by having a vivid imagination. You see more things and experience more. When you want to escape, imagine where you would want to escape to. Think of every last detail. Write it all down. You can start by describing everything that you see in one room. Then move up to a dream house. Or describe a dream you had. The settings are often out there.

Entry 8 Oct. 12, 2007

It’s night time in the forest. It was a small cabin. It was in all one room, except the washroom. There was a fireplace lit up. It was rustic and the lighting was dim. The kitchen was off in the corner. A little furniture was there. A wooden dinner table was two chairs. A old couch across from the fireplace with a coffee table in front. A small used rug was laid out. A bed for two was across from the kitchen. There was a cozy feeling for the cabin for two.

Entry 9 Oct. 19

Entry: Suggestions from Kathie

Stay objective in a subjective world. Help us stay with integrity, values, purpose or beings. Help us get to know ourselves. Life becomes interesting when you’re aware. Connects us to what we are. Write about our dreams, gain insight.

“How would I love to spend my time doing? “I want…” “I can….” Release letters “let it go.”

Describe your house:

My house has a front yard. Green grass, some flowers, big rocks and these broke tiles around it. Gray cement pathway. Large steps to the front door and two large windows. In the backyard, there is green grass, a picnic table, barbecue, two car garage, some flowers, garbage cans. Inside the house there are six bedrooms, three bathrooms, and a basement. A makeshift office is made with two computers and two desks.

Entry: The strangeness of love (Gowdy)

The strangeness of love is that the narrator in Gowdy’s story is a necrophile. Her boyfriend Matt killed himself so that he will be truly loved by her. She only used to have sex and fall in love with only dead people until Matt came. The story was sad and disturbing, but at the same time fascinating. It also reminds me of this old pick up line I read on ecrush.com: “I’m a necrophiliac, do you know how to play dead?”

Entry: “Every action has a reason.”

“Every action has a reason” or so they say. Sometimes, but not always. “Every action has a reaction” is a true saying. You do things you do to get something in return. Sometimes the reaction is no reaction. Sometimes the reason for doing something is inexplicable. It’s not until later, you realize why you do the things you do.

Entry: “Journey of self discovery”

It was the last week of September and the first week of October 2007. My boyfriend John was gone for three months and I hadn’t had any contact from him at all. I learned some new things about myself like how I relied on TV to teach me things on how to use my detective skills I didn’t know I had. Veronica Mars, Angel, Moonlight, Wolf Lake, and Law and Order: SVU taught me to ask the right questions and go to the right places to find the answers I’m looking for. I’m a hard worker and I have a lot of determination to get my work done, including finding John. I have major skills of observation. I know I’m a visual learner.

Nov. 2

Entry: All in Together Girls is an anthology of short stories about girls. I like the book. I wouldn’t say I love it. I would recommend a lot of women and girls to read it because it’s fun and interesting. It inspired me to write short stories and publish it as an anthology.

Journal entry from Gwen’s perspective: I regret having a kid so young. I didn’t know I was making a mistake, but I was. I love my daughter, but I sacrificed a lot for this family. I wish I had gone to college or had a steady job first. I wish I was like Anna. She was smart. She knew things like if she was to live with her boyfriend while he was at med school, she would have gotten pregnant and the marriage wouldn’t have worked out. My daughter’s 10 now, but it’s hard to make a kid. I’m trying to make the best of this situation. I do work full time and so does Chuck, but I want to have more than a domestic life. Chuck and I are in marriage counseling right now. We shouldn’t have gotten married because we had a kid. We should have waited.

Nov. 9

Entry “sound”: The beat is thudding loudly. I felt the music beat in my heart. The drum and bass are thumping. People are shouting and talking. My throat is jumping to it. The lyrics come and the crowd cheered. The electric guitar appears on the track. A rap comes on. There is a pause as if the song stopped. It starts again. There is record scratching.

Entry “review”: Tracy Au’s journal is interesting to read. Her best ones are the stories like “John is Gone”, and Garret doing a dare, and the bully experience. Most of her entries aren’t impressive. She is told what to write an entry about a subject, she does it, but doesn’t write it to the best of her ability. A little more thought and effort would improve it greatly. Some entries are creative, while others are technical.

Entry “reaped image”: The blond girl had her hair in pony tail. The wind was blowing in her face. She was wearing a short pink coat that showed her stomach and blue jeans. She was in the club. The lights were dark blue. There was stage with the DJ. There was a big dance floor filled with people getting their groove on.

No comments: