Monday, September 29, 2008

The 2nd hottest night of my life (The 2nd time I met Kyle Riabko)

June 25, 2007

I saw Kyle Riabko perform again in Edmonton tonight. The best thing was after the show when I talked to him. He remembers me.

After the show he was talking to this girl. He sees me.
K: Hi there.
The girl says something about getting a pic with him and she goes to get her friend.
He shakes my hand.
K: I like your red shirt.
Me: Thanks. (It was the GAP red shirt. One of the few days I wasn't wearing my KR shirts.) Hi, I don't know if you remember me-
K: Yeah, I saw you before at the Ex. (Capital Ex,)
Me: Oh my god, I can't believe you remember me! That was like a yr ago.
(I thought he wouldn't remember me until I mentioned "I saw you at Capital Ex last yr and asked for your pop can." lol.)
K: Yeah I was with CCR (Creedance Clearwater) and a whole lot of other bands.
Me: And Wil.
K: Yeah Wil. I don't remember your name.
Me: It's Tracy. When did you realize it was me? When I was sitting there?
K: Yeah and you were singing my songs. Well there was a pic of you and me on the internet.
Me: The internet?
K: Yeah, on myspace I think. I think you posted it.
Me: No, I didn't. It must be that girl who I met at your show who posted it. I didn't really have contact with her after the show.
I asked where he is selling his new EP and he says it's in one of those white tents. He then tells me about how there is this art show with "cool robotic art that I think you would like." I felt like I was talking to an old friend again though I only met him once and got one email from him. I was so amazed he remembered me. Another thing was that I did have my haircut, but my face and glasses is still the same.

Wait, let's wind it up to where it all began. He was here to perform at the Winston Churchill Square yesterday but I was supposed to spend time with John. John said he got off work at 6:30pm, but then later calls at 8pm and says he will be working late. But today I went to work and told Aziz about that singer I like and those shirts I always wear of KR. A understood and says we'll close early so I could see KR at 6:15pm. We usually close at 6pm and I'm done by 6:30pm.

I then walked to the Square and put my backpack on the closest picnic table's chair to the stage. I then see KR in a red long sleeve shirt over a white shirt and blue jeans. He had a watch on (black strap) and a silver choker on his neck. I had this sudden urge to go up to him and ask: "Hi Kyle, are you going to perform 'Miss 'Behavin'?" But I was kind of shy and nervous and didn't go up to him. I thought I might scare him. lol. He went to the stage and put the mike up and a piece of paper with a glass of water down. He walks back.

Later K comes back, and does the soundcheck with his acoustic guitar. Then this guy intros K about how he has opened up for John Mayer and has Liz Phair appear on his "Before I speak" cd.
Guy: How old are you?
K: 19.
G: He's 19. He's dreamy. But the important thing is that he's talented.
KR performed his old songs like "Paranoid", "Teach Me" and "What did I get myself into" which I heard him perform at Capital Ex. He peformed new songs like "Far Away from Home" which is in one of his eps on the internet. The Halloween one and I saw him record the song. Then he performs another new song that I saw him on the internet. It was when he was in Edmonton in Apr. and someone posted his performance on youtube.

KR was as usual very funny during the set. When he was performing "Teach Me" he asks: "Can I jam here?" I and this other girl yell "Whoo!"
K: Oh so only 2 girls? Edmonton can I jam here?
Audience: Whooo!
In the middle of the song he throws in Michael Jackson's "Thriller." I've seen him do that on youtube.

Later:
K: Thanks for coming on such a gloomy day. This reminds me back when I was 10 and I was in a band. It was with 2 other guys. We were called 10,11,12 because that was our ages respectively. I remember performing in this kind of show and there were 6 volunteers and they were like this. (He plugs his ears.) And we played for a kindergarten class and they were all like this. (He plugs his ears again.) This audience is small, but mighty.
Audience cheers.
He introduces this girl Samantha Schultz who opened for him last time he was in Edmonton.
KR: She's a baby. Like 26?
SS: I'm 16.
KR: Oh yeah.
They perform "Carry On." Then the guy who intro KR comes back and gives him this flower made out of foil.
G: This is from that woman over there.
KR: You mean that big statue?
A woman statue made out of foil.
G: Yes. You haven't loved anyone until you have loved a woman made out of foil.
K: Oh I have.
lol.

When he was performing this song with some suggestive lyrics he says: "Oh it's a family show." And everybody laughed.

There were only about a dozen girls including me, some guys, and some adults. Like 20-30 people? It was a free show. It was a 45min show. At Capital Ex it was a 30min show and I paid for it.

No comments: