Friday, July 11, 2008

funny/ news/ advice

Jul 8 Funny: Today my sister was talking about how her co-worker who is always complaining about how her boyfriend had cheated on her with someone less attractive. The coworker is 21yrs old and spends money on getting botox and breast implants. My opinion on plastic surgery is get that when you are middle aged and you don't look that good.

Then S says: "I would get mad if my boyfriend cheated on me with someone who doesn't have a high school diploma." lol. S is all about being smart, academics, and money. I remember this time back in 2002, in psychology class there was this quiz:" Which cartoon character are you most like?" One of the questions was: "Who do you want to spend time with?" And I knew she was going to pick "Someone who's smart" over someone who's romantic, a party animal, someone who has fun all the time. I pick the latter.

Well I would be mad if my boyfriend cheated on me with my best friend. That's really personal. If it's someone he met at a bar and I and/ or he will probably never see again, than that would not get me as angry. No more talk about infidelity, because it's reminding me of tv shows I quit like Maury and Cheaters.

Job: Today Scotiabank in downtown called for me to fill out an application. I took the bus there and filled it out. Then I went to deposit my tax refund. Then I went to work. It turns out I didn't have to work today because Ray was coming in to take over my place.

Me: You can take my shift today.
Ray: This would make it a totally pointless busride if I didn't work.
Me: That's why I'm letting you have my shift.
But then I ended up working today and having tomorrow off. So from now on it will be Sun. and Tues. I have off.

I told Steven that he might be getting a phone call that Scotiabank will be calling him to verify that I worked there and as a reference. I asked if Scotiabank hires me, and it doesn't work out, can I still work at the Soup place. He said yes. I got Dani's last name and told her that she will be my reference.

Jul. 9 Music: It was cool yesterday. I went to the library and my card expired, and I didn't have to pay $12 for it. Instead the librarian said if I was a student, I could get my fee waived and they didn't need to look at my school ID. I saved $12. I told this to my co-worker Maygen and she said that it can only be waived once. She and my sister said that it is only $12. I then borrowed the Ashlee Simpson's new cd "Bittersweet World." I like to try out new music. It's a fun cd to listen to. It's average.

Movie: I saw Michael Moore's movie The Big One on tv last night. It looked like it was made in the early 90s or even 80s due to how people looked. I looked it up and it was released in 1997. It was how companies lay off their employees to make more of a profit. Companies like Nike and Payday chocolate bars. I like how MM goes to the companies and give them the Downsizer Award.

It did make me feel better about getting laid off from Ipsos. I didn't get laid off because the company was trying to make more of a profit off us. The lease was up on the building and they couldn't find another place to move the office to so they closed down the company. They held seminars on how to get unemployment insurance and how to improve our resumes.

Coincidence:
In the movie I see that Manpower temp agency makes an appearance in it. Today I read in the Globe and Mail's Careers section about being friends on facebook with your boss and co-workers. There is this unprofessional line crossed if you do become facebook friends. You can do so if you have your name and be facebook friends with your business. You can then create another account so you can be friends with your family and friends.

In school, the students and I were asked if we wanted to be facebook friends with our teachers. People said no because they don't want their teachers to look at their pics of them partying. lol. I did a friend request for the manager at Grand and Toy where I used to work at back in 2006. I requested she be my friend a few weeks ago, but I don't know if she even remembes me since I only worked there a month. I didn't create a bond like I did with Kim and Lorraine. The other coincidence of that article was that it came when I requested to be friends with Hyacinthe.

Inspired:
Today I went and returned the Ashlee Simpson cd to get the Plain White T's cd. I went to Coles book store in downtown and meet the author Ron Wood. He wrote the book And God created Mayberries and it's supposed to be a funny book. I told him I wanted to be a writer and that I was at MacEwan studying to be one. I told him I want to write for tv and movies. He says that he wants to turn his book into a tv show, kind of like Corner Gas. I went home and am researching about this book before I impulsively buy it.

Jul 10: I wrote down the website address www.wordsandimages.org and there intro said this: "...it is a truism that good marketing will accelerate the demise of a bad company. We did our part." lol. It's a good site. After watching The Big One, at the end of the movie it said www.dogeatdogfilms.com. I typed it up and it went to www.michaelmoore.com.

News: I read in the Journal today that the magazine store Front Page will be closing down after 15yrs. It's on Jasper Ave. The lease was going to end, it was hard to get people to work there, the rent was really high. The owner was going to retire in 5yrs so he decided to close it down.

I saw this commercial for a reality show called High School Musical: Get in the Picture where people audition for the show. Nick Lachey is hosting. Uh huh. This show is going to get ratings. I do like to watch the 13 part miniseries called Fear Itself. There is also going to be another miniseries called Flashpoint. It's about a SWAT team in Toronto.It starts Enrico Colontini (Veronica Mars dad) and Hugh Dillion from Durham County.

My mom gave me this business card for TD Canada Trust because she knows someone who works there. I will now email my resume to Human Resources. I told mom about how next month there is a group interview at Servus Credit Union and Scotiabank calling me to fill out an application.

Jul. 11 Fun: Yesterday was cool. My friend Sherri stopped by and we chatted. She told me about how she knew a girl with severe dyslexia and can't read.
Me: I remember back in gr.6 the teacher was telling us about how there was this part of China where 100% of the population was able to read and write. Then the class asks: "Isn't Canada like that?" She says no. Of course, it's because of the immigrants. My grandma can't read or write English.
Sherri acts like what I said was so ignorant.

Me: I know there are people who aren't immigrants and they are in this country since they were born and they can't read or write. I remember reading an article in a magazine about how this girl she couldn't read, but she got by when the teacher asks her to read. There was someone whispering her the words and she pretended she was reading by repeating it. Though later she eventually learned to read.

Advice: I have mentioned this before, I think to some of you. I have to go to school for one more class Proofreading and Copyediting in January. I need a 60% in it and I got somewhere in the 50s. I'm really worried and stressed out about it. Because if I don't pass it the 2nd time, they won't let me take it the 3rd time. That's because each yr, there are new people who need to take the class the 1st time.

Unless I talk to the person in charge of the program and talk my way into getting to take the class the 3rd time. If I don't pass this class, then I won't get my diploma. I remember reading this Journal article: "Focus on doing well, and not worry about it. Worrying about it is worrisome." All I can say is I need my paxil, work only 3 days a week like Sun., Mon., Tues., overstudy by studying the subject everyday.

There is another way. If later it turns out that my mark isn't high enough, I can always drop out before the date comes. There is a date that says I can drop out before I get academic penalty. Do you have any tips to not get me stressed out?

No comments: