Friday, May 2, 2008

drive/ job/ shopping

May 2 Drive: My friend Jessica replied in an email: "In case you haven't taken that Learner's test yet, it USED TO BE 18/20 questions min for a pass, but now the test is 30 questions long or something."

Damn, well at least I'm prepared. I bumped into my friend Leslie yesterday on her lunch break and told her about taking the learner's permit. L says she has to take her driver's test.

Me: I got hired at Clothing Store #3, but they only paid $8.50/hr.
L: If someone hired me for that amount 5 yrs ago, I would have said "Yes!"

Yeah, I remember back in 2003 and she did work at the movie theatre for $6.50/hr. Even 3 yrs ago, I was happy to take $8.50/hr. I was working at Roots for $7.45/hr and when I met Riley on the bus who told me about Call Centre #1 paying $8.50/hr, I went to Ipsos as soon as I could.
Me: My sister said that working for $8.50/hr is "slavery."
L laughs.

I called my friend Sonia today and she called back. She says she already has her license. When I told her about what S said about "slavery", Sonia actually agreed with her saying it's bad.

Job: I went to Canada Place to drop my resume there, my mom told me to. There was actually a job fair there. I dropped my resume at the Trend Research booth and the woman asked if I had worked there or applied there before. I said I did apply there. She said my name seemed familiar. I applied at Sears and they said sales associates get paid $9/hr starting wage. In 3 months, I may get a raise.

Should have went with Clothing Store #3,, raise in 2 or 3 weeks. Yesterday I did a job interview at Suzy Shier in City Centre and the starting wage is $9.25/hr. I have an interview at Eddie Baur tomorrow and we will negotiate on the wage. I have righted quite a few wrongs since last summer. Such as last yr I thought I was working at Call Centre #3 so I turned down the interviews at , Clothing Store #3, Suzy Sheir and the job offer at Call Centre #4. Now this summer I'm staying away from Call Centre #3 and did interviews at the first 2 stores. Trend Research went from $10.50/hr last yr to $11/hr this yr.

At Sears I did ask for administrative positions. This summer my parents told me to go to admin instead of retail. I'm spreading my wings and applied as a receptionist at City Centre offices like Evanline Charles Academy.

I'm basically applying to a number of places I never applied to before because I never went for the positions as a receptionist. Last yr I did try something new by working at cafes. I worked at 2 cafes and 1 restaurant. Cafes, retail and call centres is what I've done. Time to add office assistant to it.

Shopping: The Home Outfitters signs outside the City Centre mall are being taken down. The store has totally renovated. Oh So Soft store has closed down and been replaced by Culture Craze which sells hip clothes. The store Xpress closed down.

No comments: