Jul. 26, 2016: I have watched a lot of movies, mainly on the weekends. On Jan. 2016, I got a month free preview of Showcase and I recorded all these movies they had. Most of them were action movies so I had to watch it. I write notes on my scrap paper as I watch the movies.
It's a Wonderful Life: I saw this movie on Dec. 6, 2015 on CBC.
"An angel helps a compassionate but despairingly frustrated businessman by showing what life would have been like if he never existed."
Why?: This is a classic movie that everybody seems to have seen, so I watched it. Also there were a couple of TV shows that made homage to it like on the old sitcom Sweet Valley High. What if the twins Jessica and Elizabeth didn't exist? Jessica was a cheerleader and since she wasn't there, the high school basketball team didn't win anything and the trophy case was empty. The angel was played by the geek Winston.
At the end of the ep Winston is at the door:
Winston: I have wings.
He holds up a bucket of fried chicken.
Also The Secret World of Alex Mack where if Alex didn't exist, Alex wouldn't have gotten the GC161 chemicals spilled on her. Instead her mom would have gotten it on her and the mom would have been locked up in a lab.
The Young and the Restless: I saw an ep in 2008 where Michael didn't exist.
Pros: None. Am I supposed to say that this is a movie that is fun and safe for the whole family to watch?
1. It was so long. You could have deleted 1 hr of this 3hr movie and the story would be more concise.
2. It was so boring. There is like a string of scenes where the lead character George is forced to stay in town.
3. In the last 30 min of the movie, George learns if he never existed. They should have expanded on that and made that part longer.
4. This may not exactly be a con, but I want to say: Did you know that suicide was illegal back then in like 1946 when the movie was made? I know I read an article in the Edmonton Journal in 2015 when they used to have "On this day back on this year____, this happened in the news."
Suicide is sad and all, but if someone wants to off themselves, then they will.
Would you watch it again?: There is a very low chance I would watch it again.
Aug. 1, 2016: I have Comedy Network as my free preview so I've been watching it this summer. A stand up comedian does a joke about assisted suicide and how it's against the law. His solution was to go to an ATM machine at 1am.
I'm sure some of you guys are laughing at this part.
The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones: I watched this on Jan. 18, 2016. It was on MuchMusic.
"When her mother disappears, Clary Fray learns that she descends from a line of warriors who protect our world from demons. She joins forces with others like her and heads into a dangerous alternate New York called the Shadow World."
Why?: I like supernatural stories.
1. It was interesting when Clary sees a woman attack another guy in the night club.
2. I like the fight scenes. There was a big werewolves and vampire fight scene. Later Clary is attacked by this monster in her kitchen and she has to fight back.
3. The premise sounds interesting with being a demon hunter.
4. There are big name actors in like Kevin Zegers, Jonathan Rhys Meyers, Lena Headey.
5. The line: "The world's the same, you're the one who's different."
I'm going to put that in my inspirational quotes.
6. I wrote in my notes that I like the closing credits, but I can't remember it.
Would you watch it again?: There is a very low chance I would. I didn't really like it. I would say average at best, and mediocre at worst. Maybe if I was a teenage girl I would like this. If you like supernatural stories, then you might like this.
A bad guy wants this thing from the good guy, but the good guy doesn't know where it is or what it is:
In The Mortal Instruments, it was looking for a cup. In the Flash Gordon (with my favorite Edmonton actor Eric Johnson as the lead), there was about an Imex.
The TV show on Free form. I would see the pilot to see if I would like it or not:
Aug. 2, 2016 Blue Crush: I saw this movie in Sept. 2014.
"As a hard-core surfer girl prepares for a big competition, she finds herself falling for a football player."
Why?: I saw a few min. of the movie in 2005. I heard the song "Rockstar" by NERD (Jason Nevins remix). I then listened to it at the store and the soundtrack seemed good. I then bought it on Amazon.
I have the soundtrack, so let's watch the movie. Also Matt Davis from The Vampire Diaries was on and I have never seen him in anything other than that.
1. There is a clear goal for the lead Anne Marie (Kate Bosworth). She needs to take care of her 12 yr old sister, work at her job, and become a professional surfer which is her passion.
2. Conflict, drama and tension. Anne Marie did get injured when surfing. Also in the big surfing competition, she could be in real and present danger.
There is conflict with the surfing local Drew and Matt.
Anne Marie and her friend Eden not getting along.
Anne Marie and Matt may not work out.
3. Some good lines: Matt gives a pep talk to Anne Marie:
Matt: I got injured and continued to play. If I don't go out there, I will regret it. Don't spend your life wondering what could have been.
I will put that in my inspirational quotes.
Would you watch it again?: There is a low chance I would. I'm not really into surfing. It was average at best and mediocre at worst. You should watch this movie when it's winter outside.
Aug. 4, 2016 Ted: I saw this movie a few months ago.
John Bennett, a man whose childhood wish of bringing his teddy bear to life came true, now must decide between keeping the relationship with the bear or his girlfriend, Lori.
Why?: I do like Family Guy, and have seen some of The Cleveland Show and American Dad. I know Seth MacFarlane's humor. I remember my friend Angela saying she liked the "Thunder buddies" part and Jessica told me she liked it.
1. It was kind of funny. A light and fun movie. There was some conflict with the bad guys like Lori's boss Rex and Donny who wants the bear Ted for himself.
1. I hate how the boss Rex is hitting on his subordinate Lori. At first there was a scene:
Lori: My boss only hit on my once today.
Then it got worse like:
Rex: If you go on one date with me, I'll never hit on you again.
Lori isn't interested in him at all.
I have become so left- brain of my job search and reading the business section of the newspaper everyday. That is sexual harassment. Also even if the feelings are mutual, I don't think they can really date because he's a boss and she works for him. One of them would have to quit to continue to date.
If they are co-workers, then you can date.
Oct. 17, 2016: She reports directly to him, so they can not date. If she reports to another boss, then she can probably date Rex.
Would you watch it again?: There is a low chance I would. It was average. I don't really like watching comedy movies.
The Lone Ranger: I saw this movie in Jan. on Showcase.
"Native American warrior Tonto recounts the untold tales that transformed John Reid, a man of the law, into a legend of justice."
Why?: I like action movies. This is more of western cowboy movie, but there was action involved.
1. Good action with the running on the trains: shootings on train, riding horses on train, in the train. There is excitement and adventure. Some explosions. It was creative, wild, and crazy.
2. A few moments that are fun and funny.
1. My main problem was that they had a white man Johnny Depp play a Native American. I think they should have hired a Native American to play the role.
Would you watch it again?: There is a low chance I would. It was average at best and mediocre at worst.
Aug. 5, 2016 Man of Steel: I saw this movie on Feb. 2016. I recorded it on Showcase.
"Clark Kent, one of the last of an extinguished race disguised as an unremarkable human, is forced to reveal his identity when Earth is invaded by an army of survivors who threaten to bring the planet to the brink of destruction."
Why?: I like action movies.
1. There are good special effects when they are on the planet Krypton.
2. Explosions, shoot outs. The crazy fight scenes with Superman and 2 bad guys at the end. The huge fight scene at the end with collapsed buildings. It was dangerous and epic.
3. About a half hour into it, I was like: "Is this shot in British Columbia?" Yeah, I looked it up. I see a few Canadian actors play small parts in it. I see Chad Krowchuk (Mentors), Tahmoh Penikett (Dollhouse), David Paetkau (Flashpoint).
4. The Superman flying is exciting.
5. Good dialogue.
Clark: I want to do something useful with my life.
I'm going to put that in my inspirational quotes. Now that I think about it, that's kind of a plain line.
6. Good acting when the tornado comes on the road. Clark and his parents are there and they are in danger.
1. The space part is kind of boring.
2. The movie was kind of too long. On imdb it says 143 min long. (2hr 40 min). It was an 1hr 30 min before aliens come and or make themselves known.
3. My main problem with it is that Clark got a job at this big newspaper the Daily Planet. How did he get that job? Did he get a journalism degree and they didn't show it? His jobs were blue collar like fisherman, bar, and a labor hand at Alaska.
Would you watch it again?: There is a low chance I would watch it again. It was average. If you like Superman and action movies, you may like this.
Aug. 31, 2016 Happy Gilmore: I might as well add this to the Ted movie. There was the movie Happy Gilmore, and Happy has to put his grandma in an retirement home. The grandma actually experiences elder abuse by a worker there. I saw this movie when I was 13. It was towards the end of the school yr and someone brought it in and I watched it. I then saw it again in CALM 20 because it was about going after your goal.
Elder abuse is not funny. I'm sure some of you guys are like: "Well it's just a fictional movie."
Nov. 28, 2016 Escape rooms: All these Escape rooms are coming to Edmonton. You go there with your friends, family, co-workers for a team building exercise.
This seems like a trend. Is it going to last? I was looking for a job and there are lots of places like these hiring. Or it will it stay like bowling? I had to look up when bowling was invented.
"The earliest known forms of bowling date to ancient Egypt
and the ancient Roman empire
. Remnants of balls used at the time were found among artifacts in ancient Egypt going back to 3200 BC 
Balls were made using the husks of grains, covered in material such as leather, and bound with string."
Nov. 29, 2016 American Apparel: The one in West Ed mall is closing down, and so is the one on Whyte Ave.
Ascension: The store in West Ed mall closed down. I asked the people at Guest Services. The Shaving Kit replaced it.
Abercrombie and Fitch: On Nov. 19, 2016, I was reading in the business section of the newspaper that this store is not going well.
The Gap: Also in the same newspaper article, the Gap store is not going well either. Both articles show a lot of their locations closing down.
Gap Needs to Cut Another 175 Stores
Second Cup: The location at Stanley Milner closed down. I have read an article that the company is going very well because of too much competition from Starbucks, Tim Horton's, and McDonald's.
Tip: You can apply to work at the above places if you're looking for a job, but lower your expectations.
Sears: I thought about this job if they make commission and there was a lot of criticism in the company. There were pros and cons, but the cons seemed to outweigh the pros.
Sears - Appliance sales commission
Dec. 1, 2016 "TV Moments that Angry up the Blood": After the 2016 election results, I was angry, sad, and disappointed that Donald Trump won. It made me think of The Simpsons, like how Lisa chose Marge over Homer like it's nothing to get on this spaceship.
I know it's fictional and no one really died, but it got me angry. I was really emotional after the election results, so something that never bothered me before like this Simpsons episode does.
| || |
The Simpsons - Spaceship to Mars and th...
I'm going to add this too. I don't like the TV show 7th Heaven. I saw the pilot when I was 11 yrs old. The first impression I got was: "This is like Full House mixed with Touched by an Angel." One time I was bored and had free time, and watched an episode as a teenager.
Here is the episode and it got me so angry. I guess it was because of how Robbie is really busy and he has to study. His girlfriend Joy was calling and telling him to come over.
It was annoying how demanding Joy was. I know she's a fictional character. It was also annoying at how boring and repetitive the dialogue is when Joy and Robbie are talking. Then Robbie tells it to Eric about it. I watched the whole ep, and it was bad.
I'm going to add I did see an ep of the Olsen twins on an episode and the bad behavior they displayed. I know they were acting.
"7th Heaven" Lost (TV Episode...
Dec. 2, 2016 Sister complaints: I'm going to tell you something and I want to know who was right, wrong, or both. I want to forewarn you that you may be bored or annoyed by reading this.
Not having the cell phone on overnight in my room:
Last month, Tracy's manager (from her 2nd restaurant job) calls her at 7am on the house phone. P was already up and ready to go to work. S was up. Dad and Grandma don't have t go to work. Mom doesn't have to wake up until 8am.
S: You should have your cell phone on instead of your manager calling and waking up the whole house.
Tracy: I don't have my phone on overnight so I can sleep, and I don't want my batteries to run out.
S: Then you should have it on a charger.
Who was right? S or Tracy? I told this to my manager about it.
M: I don't let my kids have their cellphones in their rooms overnight. I have them put it on a charger in the kitchen. If their work calls early in the morning and wakes up the house, then that's fine.
I remember even talking about this with this college classmate Amy on Facebook. She put on her status about waking up to read about her co-worker complaining. I told her that she should not have her cell phone in her room overnight. Amy says she didn't because she had it outside her room. She woke up when she was supposed to and checked her phone first thing.
Not washing the dishes in the morning: This happened this morning. It's 7am and P is putting on his shoes to go to work. Grandma is talking to him. S is sitting and reading the newspaper.
Tracy gets up and microwaves her breakfast. Tracy is flipping through a flier.
S: Can you just go?
Tracy: I have to wait for the microwave.
S: I am so sick of this whole family.
Tracy brings her Tupperware and a dirty bowl (that Dad ate from) upstairs. Tracy asks Grandma if she can soak it. Tracy's reason is that later Grandma and Dad are going to have lunch and wash all breakfast and lunch dishes all at once. You can save water, soap, time, and effort. It's most likely Grandma is going to wash it.
Later Tracy is at work and checks her cell phone. S texted her: "Wash your breakfast dishes." Tracy did not text back.
I remember Mom saying about washing all the dishes together instead of separately.
Tracy then tells S her reasons when S got home. There is more of an argument.
Dec. 4, 2016 Don't buy Christmas gifts: Save your money. Instead spend time with your friends and family like watch a movie or another fun activity.